1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.

Systems and players we grew up with!

Discussion in 'Collector's Corner' started by Rick-An Ordinary Fool, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    Ouch! Sure, I remember that foil also. We didn't have the foil, thankfully, but I'd seen it in other houses.

We did try grasscloth twice in the living room! I don't think that was so common though. It replaced a really loud somewhat floral patterned dark blue on white. The first grasscloth we had was a brown with a blue background; the first night it was up, the wall was crackling all evening long as the paste dried! Well...that experiment turned out to look a little too "grass hut" for mom's taste, so that got taken down and an all-blue grasscloth was put up in its place. When that started to get faded and a little dusty, that came down and the wall was painted, and remained that way until the house was sold.

Consider this in a slightly greyish hue of blue and you've got the grasscloth nailed:

upload_2018-2-19_3-20-26.png

Yes...I know. :laugh:

2. Mike Blakesley

Mike Blakesley Well-Known Member Moderator

I have an uncle who was in the Navy. He would bring home all sorts of cool electronics. He had an awesome Sony reel to reel tape deck that he loaned my dad for a while.... that was probably the first "high end" piece of audio equipment I got my hands on. I remember it had a built-in amplifier and a pair of really large speakers that went with it. I played with that thing endlessly and didn't even break it! Knowing my uncle, he's probably still got it in a closet somewhere.

3. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    A lot of people in the service used to get killer deals on the equipment--they could buy it overseas, like in Japan, and ship it home. Often they were models that were never available in North America.

4. [​IMG]
    A representation of the system my father bought in 1973 and which he handed-down to me after he'd gotten into Home Theater (more) in the late-1980s.
    This stuff got run "into the ground" by 1990; however, I've stayed with vintage pieces ever since.

5. It sounds like it could've been, either(?), a TC-630 or TC-730.