Tarde em Itapoa by Performed by Toquinho and Gil

lj

What an incredibly beautiful Brazilian ballad! The lyricist Vinicius in 1970 was looking for a new musical partner to write music. Vinicius earlier musical collaborators were Jobim, Lyra, Powell and Lobo. Those were big shoes to fill for sure! So Vinicius handed Toquinho a set of lyrics and told him to write some music. Toquinho says he meticulously and painstakingly worked to create the right music for every word. Bingo! Toquinho hit the jackpot with this song and this song became arguably their signature composition. This legendary musical collaboration lasted 10 years until Vinicius died in 1980. Their music was Bossa Nova at its apex--right up their with Jobim's very best songs. On this video Toquinho sings baritone and Gil sings tenor.

Here is another version of this song this time with Vinicius singing with Toquinho from a 1978 show in Italy.

Here is another version of this song for your listening pleasure--this time including Maria Creusa. I like the strings used on the arrangement. I love all three videos-- each one a little different from the other ones. I really like this timeless composition.

Back
Top Bottom