Technics sl1200mk2

Martin Medrano

Hello everyone i found a listing on offerup for a technics sl1200mk2 for $250 or best offer. My question is should i go with this technics for the price? Im looking into buying a turntable either this or a uturn orbit plus what's better?

I would go with the Technics as long as it is in good running order--the Mk. 2 is a bit older by now, but if properly maintained and repaired, those 1200s were workhorses.

I never was a fan of the U-Turn--it seemed cheaply made. Certainly not as sturdy as the 1200.

I would go with the Technics as long as it is in good running order--the Mk. 2 is a bit older by now, but if properly maintained and repaired, those 1200s were workhorses.

I never was a fan of the U-Turn--it seemed cheaply made. Certainly not as sturdy as the 1200.
I do know that the mk2 has attached rca cables and would need a preamp for sure. I will be connecting it to my home theater receiver the sony str dh790 which has no preamp in it. What other models of the 1200 do you know of that are at a good price.

Some of the lesser priced Fluance turntables have built in preamps. Very well respected and reviewed. Look on Amazon for specs and reviews. I love mine. You can’t go wrong with the Technics though. Also really well made.

Last edited:
I can recommend the 1200s as the radio station i work out has had 2 of them in the studio for at least over 25 years ( the current ones we have are newer but they were pricey) they are built like a tank

Surprisingly, Guitar Center used to sell new and used 1200s. They are not inexpensive, though, since they are still in high demand. The current version is the SL-1200MK7.

Like @GDB2LV says, Fluance has a new turntable at the same price, the RT81, with built-in phono preamp:

Well the technics has been sold so there goes my chance at buying it. But i looked at the fluance rt81 and i think I'll be buying this one. How would i go about using it with my home theater receiver the sony str dh790 if i don't want to use the built in preamp. Although i saw a denon dp 300f has anyone used it?

If your home theater receiver does not have a phono input, you will need the preamp. (It amplifies the low-level signal and applies the needed RIAA equalization.) The next Fluance model up is $50 more but does not come with a preamp.

The Denon isn't too impressive--kind of flimsy. Older Denon turntables (from the 1980s) were highly sought after, though. (And they are not inexpensive!)

If your home theater receiver does not have a phono input, you will need the preamp. (It amplifies the low-level signal and applies the needed RIAA equalization.) The next Fluance model up is $50 more but does not come with a preamp.

The Denon isn't too impressive--kind of flimsy. Older Denon turntables (from the 1980s) were highly sought after, though. (And they are not inexpensive!)
It does not have a phono input. I was going to buy a preamp regardless if the turntable has one. How do i go about connecting it to my receiver. Also any preamp recommendations?

Your receiver needs an auxiliary (AUX) input. Most should have one. It's just a matter of connecting the preamp via a standard set of RCA interconnects. The turntable will have a ground wire--any preamp you buy will have a place to connect that.

There is a phono preamp on Amazon made by Rolls:

Amazon product ASIN B0002BG2R2
Seems to get good reviews, and is only $49. Fluance, Pro-Ject and Music Hall all have phono preamps at $99 or less.

I was able to get a fluance rt81 on Facebook marketplace starting at 280 and negotiated the price down to 160 with no cables due to the seller losing them in travel. All i need is a wall power plug its a dc 12v 0.5A any suggestions to a good quality one. And shorter good quality rca cables. The turntable was not used by the seller and kept brand new no damage. From a price of 350 retail to 160. I was able to test it and it works good preamp for it would be nice for now I'll be using the one that comes with it. Also can i connect thi to the dvd input on my receiver through its rca port. Sorry for all the questions i just got this like an hour ago so im still figuring things out.

That's a great deal on the RT81!

Any 12V power supply rated 0.5A or higher will work. The only thing you need to do is find out what size the plug is on the power supply. Fluance might be able to tell you that. (There are a few sizes.) There are also universal adapters that come with a selection of interchangeable plugs.

Back
Top Bottom