Television or Radio Commercials Featuring Carpenters

Another advertisement from the great UK, Their Greatest Hits:

It’s interesting how the narrator and even the titles half way through only mention CD & Cassette, but at the end the titles also mention a LP version being available.

Another interesting thing is how “Jambalaya” was the second song to be shown on screen when they were listing the song titles.

^^Yes, I had noted such about Jambalaya
when those song titles 'crawled' across the screen (Listed first and preceding Close To You).
Yet, it did reach #12 and charted for 12 weeks, not too bad !
They performed it in 1974, TV Talk of the Town.
They performed it in 1976, at the Palladium.
Apparently, UK enjoyed
Jambalaya !
As do I !

the ad uses the Australian/Far Eastern cover rather than the cover with the Annie Liebovitz photo that was used for the UK release.

Also, despite the fact that the large number of compilations released in the UK were generally actively promoted by A&M/Universal with TV ads, this compilation was given something of a 'soft' release in the UK and wasn't promoted (it basically started appearing in the back catalogue sections of record stores some time after its release in the US), so I'm not sure this advert ever actually aired on UK TV.
I think it’s probably an Aussie ad. Definitely an Aussie voice-over, (although he tries to posh up his accent a bit, the way he says “Out now”, a bit unnaturally :) )

Somewhere, I have the following TV ads on original television station video cassettes:- UK ‘Interpretations’ ad; UK ‘Only Yesterday’ ad; Japanese ‘Karen Carpenter’ ad, (no unique footage, folks); Japanese ‘Live at the Budikan’ video ad; UK ‘Trying to Get the Feeling’ promo clip; and ‘Very Best of the Carpenters’ had an Aussie TV campaign with a number of snippets of film clips back in 1982. (I don’t have this last ad). I think I ordered all of the others through Goldmine in the 90s, pre-internet.

I think it’s probably an Aussie ad. Definitely an Aussie voice-over, (although he tries to posh up his accent a bit, the way he says “Out now”, a bit unnaturally :) )

I don't know very much about TV down under, but wouldn't this logo at the very end (TVNZ) indicate New Zealand?

TVNZ.jpg

Back
Top Bottom