Television or Radio Commercials Featuring Carpenters

^^That's a pretty good deal, I'm calling in my order today! I'm going to get the cassette as my daily driver is a 1998 Toyota Camry and has the factory AM/FM/Cassette player...I believe the CD option was with the high-end version of the car (which was out of my price range :sad:).

In keeping with Carpenter's commercials, the similarities in the music intros to the following commercials is uncanny.

Carpenters KFRC jingle:

Joey Heatherton's Serta commercial:

Hah -- I can't think of Joey Heatherton without being reminded of SCTV's spoof of her named Lola Heatherton (played by Catherine O'Hara: "I want to bear your children!")

While I do not have this cd--Carpenters Collection--
I thought it a rather interesting commercial.

That Time-Life disc was a pretty decent one-disc compilation of their hit material.

1. We’ve Only Just Begun (1991 remix)
2. Superstar (1991 remix)
3. Rainy Days And Mondays (1985 remix)
4. Top Of The World (1973 version, 1991 remix))
5. Ticket To Ride (1973 version, reversed)
6. Goodbye To Love (1991 remix)
7. It’s Going To Take Some Time
8. Sweet Sweet Smile
9. I Won’t Last A Day Without You (1991 remix, single version, slow)
10. Hurting Each Other (1990 remix)
11. There’s A Kind Of Hush (All Over The World) (1985 remix)
12. Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft (1989 remix)
13. Only Yesterday (middle length edit)
14. For All We Know (1990 remix)
15. Touch Me When We’re Dancing
16. (They Long to Be) Close to You (1991 remix, single edit)
17. Please Mr. Postman (1991 remix)
18. Sing
19. All You Get From Love Is A Love Song
20. I Need To Be In Love (1990 remix)
21. Yesterday Once More (1985 remix)

I believe, buried somewhere deep on this forum, is a discussion topic for this very CD when it came out.

This is for the 1987-1998 Time-Life Treasury Of Christmas double-CD/-cassette/-LP set. The Carpenters are on CD1/Tape 1/LP 1. (The LP had been discontinued by 1998) It’s a really nice set and I listen to it multiple times every Christmas. Also this is, as far as I know, the first digital release of “The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire)” 45 single mix (also, both the LP and Cassette sets have “DIGITAL” printed on the front cover, so they were mastered from Digital sources).

^^You have a point, but, a reading of the
Liner Notes (Paul Lester)
sort of makes up for, and adds justification towards, that title....excerpting:
"....the falling in and out of love, love songs. The lack of love songs...it's all here..."

One thing that has always annoyed me about this compilation is the misleading title. Many of the tracks on it are not love songs at all.
True, but at the same time “Love Songs” has been certified Gold in both the US & UK and it even had chart success (#106 in the US, #47 in the UK), and according to Wikipedia it was on the Billboard charts for over six months.

"....the falling in and out of love, love songs. The lack of love songs...it's all here..."

Those liner notes are a rather lame excuse to include songs like Rainy Days And Mondays and Solitaire, which plainly aren’t love songs at all. Many of the tracks are about lost love, so to me, it’s not really a love songs album at all. Hence my original comment that I think the title is misleading.

Last edited:
Those liner notes are a rather lame excuse to include songs like Rainy Days And Mondays and Solitaire, which plainly aren’t love songs at all. Many of the tracks are about lost love, so to me, it’s not really a love songs album at all. Hence my original comment that I think the title is misleading.
“Solitaire” is a metaphor Love Song. It’s about a man who lost his wife, girlfriend, etc. because he was more interested in his business or hobby and goes through life focused on his career/hobby than his love life.

Riddle me this, Batman: Is a song about lost love or lack of love still a love song? When we consider all of the greatest songs ever written classified as "love songs" we will find either found or lost love, or sometimes both. Solitaire is full of lost love and loneliness, not necessarily expressed in a direct way, but there all over the place nonetheless.

Rainy Days And Mondays is more subtle, but with lines like "...hanging around, nothing to do but frown..." "...some kind of lonely clown..." "...nothing ever seems to fit..." "...feeling like I don't belong..." "...I always wind up here with you..." "...nice to know somebody LOVES ME..." "...run and find the one who LOVES ME..." Seems to me like the theme of this song is found and lost love.

I'm sure if we dig deeper into the repertoire, we will find themes of love in everything they ever recorded, some more subtle and indirect than most, but there nonetheless. Regardless, I think there is quite a bit of proof in the pudding that RDAM is indeed a love song, as much as Solitaire and anything else on the compilation. But that's part of the beauty of music, my man. It's just like a good book. Open to our own imaginations and the unique feelings it invokes within each and every one of us.

Here is another from the UK, Singles 1969-1981:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKl3x74hCWk

Never seen this before. I'm a little uncertain what the source of this is hough, as the ad uses the Australian/Far Eastern cover rather than the cover with the Annie Liebovitz photo that was used for the UK release.

Also, despite the fact that the large number of compilations released in the UK were generally actively promoted by A&M/Universal with TV ads, this compilation was given something of a 'soft' release in the UK and wasn't promoted (it basically started appearing in the back catalogue sections of record stores some time after its release in the US), so I'm not sure this advert ever actually aired on UK TV.

Never seen this before. I'm a little uncertain what the source of this is though, as the ad uses the Australian/Far Eastern cover rather than the cover with the Annie Liebovitz photo that was used for the UK release.

Also, despite the fact that the large number of compilations released in the UK were generally actively promoted by A&M/Universal with TV ads, this compilation was given something of a 'soft' release in the UK and wasn't promoted (it basically started appearing in the back catalogue sections of record stores some time after its release in the US), so I'm not sure this advert ever actually aired on UK TV.
Considering the alternative cover, and the accent of the announcer, I'd say that the advert is from Australia.

Back
Top Bottom