The 5th Dimension

When The 5th Dimension announced the trio America (who won over The Eagles, the late Harry Chapin, the late John Prine and Loggins & Messina for "Best New Artist" at the Grammy Awards in March 1973), the late Dusty Springfield accepted the award. I guess that Dusty never heard of America because she said "America is a free country & will accept this award thank you". Have seen that on YouTube but is is gone from the website.

It's not. "Ashes To Ashes" is a Lambert-Potter song that the 5th Dimension did on their LIVING TOGETHER, GROWING TOGETHER album.
Ashes to Ashes is one of my favorite Late period Fifth Dimension songs the Lyrics kind of tell how I feel about my life in the last 20 years and the many many changes our world has encountered the song has More Significant meaning for me Today than ever but yet Time moves on and So Do I

If Richard and Karen had been able to put aside their "Goody 4 Shoes" promotional image, I would have loved to see them cover the 5th Dimension's IF I COULD REACH YOU.

For you 5th fans, there is a collections of all the singles, A sides and B sides available. It is a three disc set and it wonderful. It has their very first single, from before they met up with Johnny Rivers and Jim Webb.
My all time favorite music groups are The 5th Dimension and Sergio Mendes and Brasil'66.

If you're a 5th Dimension fan, I heartily recommend a 2-cd hits set called either UP, UP, AND AWAY: THE DEFINITIVE COLLECTION, or it's later incarnation called ESSENTIAL. They're only different by one track. Both sound stellar.

1597843777770.png

If you want a great album by them, find THE MAGIC GARDEN. It's a themed album mostly written by Jimmy Webb, and it's one of those albums that is best listened to all in one sitting.

1597843809725.png
This is my favorite 5Th Dimension album. I listen to it more than any other and I have all of them by the original 5Th, either on cd or vinyl.

'The Magic Garden' sounds interesting, Harry. I'll have to try and find it. Jimmy Webb is a definite selling point. One of my favourites by him is 'Song for my Brother', as recorded by BJ Thomas.
Jim Webb is a great songwriter. It is ironic that only one of his songs ever hit Number 1 on the charts-MacArthur Park by Donna Summer-but in the latter half of the sixties and early seventies his song were on the radio a lot. It was all thanks to The 5TH's version of Up Up and Away that made him a hot commodity in the songwriting market.

By the way, I just listened to the samples on Apple iTunes on my headphones "The Complete 45 Singles 1966 - 1975" & the last 4 songs are in STEREO. Bell Records release "Harlem" in STEREO while Arista (NOT Bell) release "No Love In The Room" also in STEREO. I believe that was Arista's first 45 single NOT Barry Manilow "It's A Miracle".

Jim Webb is a great songwriter. It is ironic that only one of his songs ever hit Number 1 on the charts-MacArthur Park by Donna Summer-but in the latter half of the sixties and early seventies his song were on the radio a lot. It was all thanks to The 5TH's version of Up Up and Away that made him a hot commodity in the songwriting market.
I especially like BJ Thomas’ versions of Webb’s ‘Song for my Brother’. (He recorded this twice). Both the song and BJ’s performances are incredibly emotionally stirring and melancholic. And you don’t usually think of BJ’s recordings as being tinged with melancholy.

By the way, I just listened to the samples on Apple iTunes on my headphones "The Complete 45 Singles 1966 - 1975" & the last 4 songs are in STEREO. Bell Records release "Harlem" in STEREO while Arista (NOT Bell) release "No Love In The Room" also in STEREO. I believe that was Arista's first 45 single NOT Barry Manilow "It's A Miracle".
Most likely it was the first Arista single but since it flopped, then the group was dropped from the label. In an interview that I had read, they did not like the new management. Very few artists were carried from Bell to Arista.

For the fans of The 5th Dimension, there are two releases on Raven from Australia that are worth looking for.
They are both two disc sets and the first contains all the Soul City album releases with some bonus selections.
The second is the first four album releases on Bell but with no bonus selections.

In 1970, the 5th Dimension guest-starred on an episode of one of my favorite television series', IT TAKES A THIEF. Entitled, "To Sing a Song of Murder," it featured their songs, "Puppet Man" and "One Less Bell to Answer," along with some nice scenes between Marilyn McCoo and Robert Wagner (as Al Mundy).
Bones Howe also appeared as himself.

Charles

Last edited:
When The 5th Dimension announced the trio America (who won over The Eagles, the late Harry Chapin, the late John Prine and Loggins & Messina for "Best New Artist" at the Grammy Awards in March 1973), the late Dusty Springfield accepted the award. I guess that Dusty never heard of America because she said "America is a free country & will accept this award thank you". Have seen that on YouTube but is is gone from the website.
Well... it's back! :D I wonder if Karen & Richard were there too?

In later years, I always thought Marilyn was the Whitney Houston (in her early years) of her generation. I think Marilyn could have had an amazing solo career. She had it all- the voice, the looks, the charm. ...
I agree fully about the voice, looks and charm - a beautiful, personable woman with amazing talent - I always placed her in that rare, elevated vocal category with Karen, both because of the gorgeousness of her voice and her singing style or technique - she sang a song as intended by the composer, straight forward and with emotion, and with very few distracting vocal tricks or gymnastics (which is where she differed from Houston).

Marliyn McCoo & Billy Davis Jr. have a Beatles tribute album coming!! "Blackbird: Lennon McCartney Icons" out April 30!!

Marliyn McCoo & Billy Davis Jr. have a Beatles tribute album coming!! "Blackbird: Lennon McCartney Icons" out April 30!!
I saw this on Amazon for pre-ordering. It looks like they are doing a political statement from all the names on the cover.

Always loved the 5th Dimension - especially Marilyn - beautiful lady, beautiful voice - she could outsing anyone then, or since - except a certain girl drummer from Downey, CA...but this deserves to be seen/heard again:

I also remember watching a clip of Lamonte and Karen on ‘Make Your Own Kind of Music’, which K & R hosted. Karen claps her hand over Lamonte’s mouth, from memory, to stop him from saying something. (It’s scripted and rehearsed)....or is that on ‘Travelling Sunshine’? Can’t remember. I think it’s ‘Make Your Own Kind of Music’.
I believe the clip you're referring to starts at about 3:22 in this video:

Karen: This is the spot in the show where we usually preview next week's guests. But since this is the last show in the series, this N will have to stand for "Next Letter, Please."
Ron Townson: Karen, hold it. That's really a cheat. "N for Next Letter?"
Karen: Well, what else can we do?
Billy Davis, Jr.: Don't worry, we know a great N joke.
Karen: Oh, do you?
Billy Davis, Jr.: Yeah! Why don't you tell it, Lamonte?
Lamonte McLemore: N joke. You see, there was this "nude lady."
*Karen covers Lamonte's mouth.*
Karen: Lamonte! Next letter, please!

Back
Top Bottom