The A&M CTi Records

JOv2

We probably have two of the last few sealed Tamiko Jones LPs in the world. 😁
We should shoot her an e-mail... In any event, I will be breaking the seal in a couple days. (For years now I've been shooting videos of such events. I call it Breaking The Seal and I give a little dog and pony show: discuss the background of the artist and the LP and cover art; then I break the seal and review the inner sleeve for a little contextual history (e.g., like why RCA was hocking 1965 Al Hirt and Peter Nero LPs in a 1970 Lighthouse LP...), and finally examine the LP surface and the cut. Silly, I know, but it will be something my kids can laugh at 20 years from now... when they're trying to understand my obsession with 1960s music -- while figuring out what on earth to do with all the LPs and CDs.)

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
We probably have two of the last few sealed Tamiko Jones LPs in the world. 😁

Looking around, I see a number of this Tamiko Jones title that has no A&M or CTi logo on the front, and one of the listings mentioned both a UPC and the Music For Pleasure (mfp) label, and all are still sealed. Looks like this title got a cheap-y reissue on mfp.

JOv2

Looking around, I see a number of this Tamiko Jones title that has no A&M or CTi logo on the front, and one of the listings mentioned both a UPC and the Music For Pleasure (mfp) label, and all are still sealed. Looks like this title got a cheap-y reissue on mfp.
According to Discogs, that's a 2020 LP issue. The same label has a couple Command LPs listed as well. (Those things are probably created for and marketed to the "new hip vinyl" buyer...with endless disposable income.)

JOv2

Shoring up the CDs now with the preferred versions (used, of course, SS of these are out of $ite) of these fine releases.

DSC01426.jpg

JOv2

SP-3032 & SP-3033: The first two "post-A&M/CTi" releases... The Desmond, for intents and purposes, is a CTi -- I believe Rudy may have previously said it exhibits all the CTI trimmings, which, given Sebesky managing the affairs, is the principal reason it comes off as the 1970 cousin of Summertime. On the other hand, the Jolly release, which I just picked up, is something else altogether...

DSC01445.jpg

DSC01442.jpg

JOv2

Hey, this is a decent pop LP! As expected, it's similar in feel to the Barbary LP -- but it's quickly apparent that Tamiko is a much better vocalist. The sessions seem to have more energy -- and Chuck Rainey really makes his electric bass sing in that unique '60s melodic/rhythmic way (you know what I mean...). She's double tracked here and there; there are also a couple duets with Solomon Burke. I feel bad for having passed on this for 30+ years -- (but, to be fair, it ain't jazz...I knew back in the '80s this wouldn't be a jazz LP just by the song titles and knowing that Creed never puts more than 31 minutes of music on his LPs -- so with 12 songs you know what that means). In any event, it's a solid, enjoyable late '60s pop LP. Good stuff.

DSC01478.jpg

Once I broke the seal, I didn't dare open this puppy up -- given the gate was probably folded once during manufacture and has been held firmly in the closed position for 52 years.

DSC01480.jpg

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
I didn't take the shrink fully off of the recent arrivals here either--I'm waiting to put in an order for some LP sleeves to store them in. Especially the foil cover of the one Nat Adderley album.

And while I hate to dig through boxes in storage, I really want to find the Paul Desmond From The Hot Afternoon that I had. The AM+ version is such a good sounding record!

JOv2

in an order for some LP sleeves to store them in
Last year, I finally broke down and stepped up to "archival" type sleeves (for all the LPs I consider "first call").
Paul Desmond From The Hot Afternoon that I had. The AM+ version is such a good sounding record!
Agreed! That was a really good production. Never had the A+M version, but those that I have (and had) were all very quiet.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
Last year, I finally broke down and stepped up to "archival" type sleeves (for all the LPs I consider "first call").
I know, I really need to step that up myself. I will probably get mostly 12-5/8" square sleeves (snug fit), but will probably get 100 or so 12-3/4" square sleeves for the double sets and some of the thicker 180g pressings. My problem is when I get multiple copies, then find a sealed copy (or a "best" copy from used ones) and then can't remember which one was the best. The problem, too, is that a good portion of the LPs are still stored in boxes in the basement. We were only supposed to stay here a year or two, and we just passed the ten year mark four months ago. Thing is, with all my CDs, SACDs and video ripped to a server, I no longer need to have the CDs out, and I'm just getting things ready to put the remainder of them in storage and reclaim all the wall space from the CD racks so I can get some more units to store the LPs.

JOv2

My problem is when I get multiple copies
Though I very much wanted to have 1 sealed LP + 1 opened LP, I decided about 40 years ago that I would only have one copy of each title. (Still, the thought of a showcase of sealed LPs would be something to behold! Sealed CDs are more akin to office supplies but sealed LPs are surely majestic...😵

Oh, you work off of a server. Interesting. Don't think I could manage that as I need to hold that LP jacket in my hands (in its archival sleeve, of course) and stare hypnotically at the A&M logo spinning...

JOv2

Finally found an affordable (used, of course) CD version of Giblet Gravy (FEB 1968), which was recorded and released prior to Shapes of Things to Come.

DSC01498.jpg

Bobberman

Finally found an affordable (used, of course) CD version of Giblet Gravy (FEB 1968), which was recorded and released prior to Shapes of Things to Come.

DSC01498.jpg
Its a Great album I bought a download version of this album a few months ago and well worth the money

JOv2

Its a Great album I bought a download version of this album a few months ago and well worth the money
Thanks, Bobberman! I spun it once and liked it straightaway...now, there's only one '60s Benson left to acquire: the elusive CD version of Goodies (NOV1968 -- which means it was cut a few weeks after Shape of Things to Come). According to Discogs, it was only issued once on CD in Japan; and you know what that means...$ XXX.00, which is wayy over my budget.

Unknown.jpg

Top Bottom