šŸŽ¶ Album Sides THE ALBUM SIDES [Poll]: "OFFERING"/"TICKET TO RIDE" (SP-4205)

Which side is your favorite?

• Side 1

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Side 2

Votes: 16 66.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ā€˜Carpenterologistā€™
Staff member
ā€œOFFERINGā€/ā€TICKET TO RIDEā€

sp4205alt.jpg
sp4205.jpg

Catalogue Number: A&M SP-4205
Date of Release: 10/09/69

Side 1:
1.) Invocation 1:00 (Carpenter/Bettis)
2.) Your Wonderful Parade 2:57 (Carpenter/Bettis)
3.) Someday 5:13 (Carpenter/Bettis)
4.) Get Together 2:32 (Chet Powers)
5.) All Of My Life 3:00 (Richard Carpenter)
6.) Turn Away 3:09 (Carpenter/Bettis)

Side 2:
1.) Ticket To Ride 4:10 (Lennon/McCartney)
2.) Donā€™t Be Afraid 2:05 (Richard Carpenter)
3.) Whatā€™s The Use 2:43 (Carpenter/Bettis)
4.) All I Can Do 1:42 (Carpenter/Bettis)
5.) Eve 2:51 (Carpenter/Bettis)
6.) Nowadays Clancy Canā€™t Even Sing 4:15 (Neil Young)
7.) Benediction :40 (Carpenter/Bettis)

In light of the recent and intriguing Singles review discussions, fellow member @Mark-T had a wonderful thread idea. As many of the Carpenters albums possess a general 'theme', it's not at all uncommon that one side of the album might be favored or played more than the other.

As we launch this new thread series, please vote for your favorite side and feel free to participate in discussion!

-Chris

Great discussion!! These first few are going to be very hard picks. :)

This album is difficult to pick sides-- because overall, this album is high-ranking for me-- but I lean towards side 2. "Ticket", "Don't Be Afraid", "Eve", and "Clancy..." win it.

Pretty close for me as well. Considering that I do listen to side "A" most often, I have to choose that. But it's really a toss-up. I most likely don't spin the "B" list as often because I hear "Ticket" when I play any of the compilations.

This was a very hard decision to make, as I love both sides. Side A with "Your Wonderful Parade", "Get Together", "Turn Away" and side B with "Ticket To Ride", "Eve", and "Don't Be Afraid", I'd have to say Side B.

Very hard to decide, but I went with side A due to the songs "Someday", "Your Wonderful Parade", and "Invocation". The overdubbing on the latter is amazing! And I have to say, while I love Karen's leads better normally, Richard really does well to that respect here.

I love both sides very well, but overall this is probably the one that receives the most play for me.

Tough choice. I love the album as a whole and back in the days of LPs, I'd often play Side One. "Your Wonderful Parade" and "Someday" are an amazing pair of songs and I like the others that round out the side.

But I have to go with Side Two. It's got that first hit "Ticket To Ride" in its original version, the sumptuous "Eve" and the fabulous "Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing" followed by the "Benediction".

It's really tough, but I'll go with Side B (2) (Two).

My favorite on the album is easily "All of My Life", and I really don't care for "Eve". But all said, Side Two (B) for me.

But all said, Side Two (B) for me.

Sorry guys! I spaced when I set up the sides, labeling them "A" & "B" as opposed to "1" and "2" the way you would for a standard LP. Correction made...

Probably the only reason I don't play Side 1 as much is because of "Someday" -- beautiful as it is, it's never been able to hold my attention. In fact, it is one of the only songs on Ticket to Ride that I do not have in my digital repertoire (the other is "Get Together"), and when it comes up on my LP I usually pick up the spindle.

Have to agree with KC Jr. and Mark about Richard's leads. :D

(By the way Chris, thanks for fixing "A" and "B" to "1" and "2". I was a bit confused and almost started writing about the single "Ticket to Ride" LOL)

Great idea for a poll!

I went with side 2 as it features the jaunty All I Can Do, What's The Use and Don't Be Afraid as well as the slower ballad Eve. This side is quintessential early Carpenters, full of that energy of youth and innocence. Definitely a product of its time!

I have a personal, inextricable link between "Someday" and the TV show STAR TREK.

It was early 1971. I at that time owned both OFFERING and CLOSE TO YOU. My stereo set-up was in the basement of my parents' home and the phenomenon of STAR TREK was exploding across the country. The show had been cancelled in 1969 and began showing in reruns on weeknights in Philadelphia (and many other markets as well). The syndicated reruns offered us the chance to see episodes we missed, to see again episodes that were helped by multiple viewings, and for many people, to see some of the episodes in color for the first time.

So, weeknights at 7, I'd head upstairs to my bedroom for an hour of STAR TREK, and then usually at 8, if nothing else was on, I'd head down to the basement and get the stereo going. This event that ties these two things together happened that way. I had watched "Requiem For Methuselah", a third season STAR TREK where Kirk falls for an artificial girl created by a man who'd lived through the centuries under many famous names. The ending of the show,
has Kirk alone in his quarters trying to forget the girl he can't have and Spock doing a mind-meld on him to help him to forget.

I had dozed off on the admittedly flawed episode, but had awakened at the conclusion and found it very moving. And after heading down to the basement, I fired up the stereo, sat in my comfy centered chair and began listening to OFFERING, Side One. My sleepiness continued and soon after "Invocation" started, I again dozed off. At the loud crescendo of "Someday", I was awakened while dreaming of Captain Kirk and his situation in that episode, and I wrapped myself in the sounds of the song.

From that moment on, the song became a favorite, and every time I hear it, I think of STAR TREK and that evening back in 1971. And every time I happen to see the "Requiem For Methuselah" episode of STAR TREK, I think of "Someday".

It's funny how the brain remembers things like that.

For me I'd have to say side 2!

I was a product of The Karen Carpenter Story era in terms of having really been struck by lightening with their sound. At the time, I was 12 year old budding musician and arranger, and had primarily only known their Christmas music by early '89. I was always fascinated with the segment in the movie where Richard is demonstrating to Karen the concept of 'multi-harmony overdubbing', utilizing Don't Be Afraid as the example. For a long time that, and of course Eve, which was also utilized in the film just excited me to hear over and over. Both are featured on side 2, along with Clancy, a track that was choc full-o wonderful harmonies and a killer Wurly 140-b solo by Richard on the fade. Just GREAT music all the way around!

Yes, John^^, this was a 'close call'.....and, in the end I weighed
various factors Side One to Side Two:
the creative background vocals on Get Together and Turn Away,
the beauty of Someday and All Of My Life
the inventiveness of Your Wonderful Parade
and, I adore Invocation/Benediction.
So, I picked Side One over-all;
simply because I am one of the few (!)
not so taken with Ticket To Ride--as a song in general terms--
although, I love this version. (Preferring it to The Singles 1969-1973 version!).
Not too smitten with What's The Use--although, it is creative.

But, a tough choice.
So much to ponder about this Album.

Yes, John^^, this was a 'close call'.....and, in the end I weighed
various factors Side One to Side Two:
the creative background vocals on Get Together and Turn Away,
the beauty of Someday and All Of My Life
the inventiveness of Your Wonderful Parade
and, I adore Invocation/Benediction.
So, I picked Side One over-all;
simply because I am one of the few (!)
not so taken with Ticket To Ride--as a song in general terms--
although, I love this version. (Preferring it to The Singles 1969-1973 version!).
Not too smitten with What's The Use--although, it is creative.

But, a tough choice.
So much to ponder about this Album.
I'm with you on this one, Gary... And obviously, I need to go back and give Clancy another listen.... Initially, it was one I skipped pretty easily - - and never went back to give it a listen in latter years. Same with What's The Use.

UPDATE: Yup - it's (Clancy) a pretty cool number. The strings, and harmonies are pretty terrific... Still side one for me though...

Last edited:
Funny, I too picked side two tho my personal nadir here is Ticket. So much is in place, and so much is in flux. Yet, the peaks of side two rise higher to me, to the highest with Clancy and Eve. They could have been a thing. The voices, drumming, arrangements, keys, words.

There is so much potential here, and they got caught up on hits; well Rich did. Don't get me wrong, Close To You is their best album, but soon they got lost, confused, led astray by those seeking money at the expense of art.

Still so sad for me hearing this again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom