The all-purpose 2022/2023 Steely Dan thread

I guess I didn't pay much attention to the date, but while checking on the preorder status of some upcoming SACDs, I noticed that Universal released a 50th anniversary reissue of Steely Dan's first album, Can't Buy A Thrill.

1668819691146.pngApparently you can buy a thrill as a high-res set of files from Universal, or a vinyl pressing. But given's Universal's propensity to, as the old saying goes, fark up a one-car funeral, I am a bit wary at the moment of trying one of their pressings.

I'm listening to the 24-bit/192kHz version on Qobuz and it's not as sharply defined as the version of the album I have on my server. However, the version I have on CD has been through noise reduction and other digital doctoring, apparently. I have no idea of the provenance of this new version, whether it was a transfer of the original analog tapes, or if it was further doctored in the studio. (I'm on my desktop system at the moment, so, I'll have to wait to spin it on the main system to see what's up.) It turns out the digital files were mastered by Bernie Grundman alongside the

50 years. I feel old. Older.

Anyway, I have mixed feelings about an upcoming series of reissues from Analogue Productions.

Chad Kassem worked out a deal where he could release audiophile versions of the first seven Steely Dan albums. The SACDs are already planned and available for preorder, and I will get those without a doubt. None have been released yet, but they will supposedly be released individually over the coming months.

But for pure analog goodness, the initial vinyl issues of these titles will be on their "UHQR" vinyl sets. Deluxe box set packaging with a wood spine, like other UHQRs, and offered only as a set of two 45-RPM records. Chad has hinted that there may be other editions down the road.

All the Dan records are essential listening for me and, with other artists I've followed since my teen years or earlier, very important in my own personal catalog of music. So it's a tough call if I buy later vinyl reissues from Analogue Productions. Thing is, to find clean copies of these records in preferred early pressings could end up costing me just as much, especially if I have to reject a handful due to groove burn (wear). For instance, I do have a somewhat clean early Aja pressing that has some minor but noticeable (read: annoying) groove burn on "Deacon Blues" and "Josie."

I may end up doing a shootout of various versions once I get the SACD reissues in my hands. I suspect Analogue Productions will be the better (best?) sounding of all digital versions. I'm told that they did an excellent job on the two most recent albums (Two Against Nature and Everything Must Go) especially on the former title, where they got rid of the digital harshness and made it a much more pleasant listen. The latter was actually recorded to analog multitrack and has a much smoother sound already.

For whatever reason, I had read that Steely Dan will no longer perform "Do It Again" in concert--can't recall if it was a mutual decision, or if Donald Fagen just didn't want to sing it. Regardless, it's one of the highlights on a solid debut album that included many fine compositions. A little of their jazz influence came through on this album, but would appear more on the follow-up, Countdown to Ecstasy. My own discovery of their catalog began when I read a good review of Fagen's first solo album, The Nightfly. Wanting more, I picked up budget reissues of Gaucho and Aja then worked my way back through the rest of their catalog (all were the MCA "Platinum Series" LPs).

Got any Steely Dan favorites or memories? This thread is the place! (Please take complaints, gripes, "I hates," etc. to a separate thread. 😉)

50 years. Dang it...

I was just informed that Steely Dan Aja UHQR vinyl was postponed until late October by The “In” Groove.
I have no way to verify this, but it’s disappointing to say the least if it’s true.
Update:
Acoustic Sounds now gives a date of October 27th, 2023.

Last edited:
I noticed that yesterday when I didn't get a shipping notification. At least the high res version came out yesterday, as did the standard Geffen 180g vinyl.

I'd seen in one forum that a few of the copies of the UMe pressings Aja were noisy pressings. Surprising since Can't Buy a Thrill was so quiet. But, it happens. And I'd get it through Amazon for the return policy.

Consolation prize though--the 24/192 version on Qobuz sounds quite good. And Face Value ships Friday. Of all the copies I've ever owned of Face Value, the one that probably left the biggest impression on me was the old Virgin CD from the UK. I have a used copy that is a bit tired, and bought a newer digital-sourced pressing from Atlantic that is rather average. 2-LP 45 RPM from the analog source? That'll be amazing, especially side two of the set ("Roof is Leaking," and the two that follow), and side four ("If Leaving Me is Easy"--Arif Mardin's string arrangement is spooky good there).

I had a few spare minutes yesterday afternoon to do a mini comparison of the different digital versions of Aja that I have. All except for the new 24/192 version are ripped to my server here, where the 24/192 is via Qobuz.

I didn't include the Citizen Steely Dan box or its offshoots (album CD releases past Citizen used the same mastering) as they are known to employ CEDAR noise reduction. It was a favorite of the project's mastering engineer yet had the approval of Don and Walt when they assembled the box set at Masterfonics. I believe the intention at the time was that these would be the "official" CD versions of the albums from that point forward.

That left me with three digital versions to compare for now. (I wasn't going to fire up the phono stage to include the early ABC pressing I own.)
  • 2023 24/192 digital release, mastered by Bernie Grundman.
  • MCLD 19145 CD, released in the mid 80s, mastered by Steve Hoffman.
  • ~2010 Japan SACD, mastering and source tapes completely unknown.
I primarily used portions of the title track as there are many different sections to it that make for a good demonstration.
  • For overall tonality, I found the MCLD 19145 CD to have an edge. I noticed it is a little fuller in the midbass, and the mids are nice and clean. It sounded more full-bodied and natural overall. Where it lacks is due to it being a CD. The really fine details seem clipped off. The decay on the cymbals, and reverb decay, among other fine details, give the recording a somewhat "dry" presentation due to the loss of resolution at lower levels. (And this is true with any CD.)
  • The Japan SACD is my least favorite of these three. Something sounds a little "processed" with it. I'm still not convinced that any label in Japan has access to original masters, and mastering engineers are never credited. Alone it sounds good but when compared to the others, I really don't like it. It is also mastered much louder than the others, also leading me to believe there might be some form of compression on this version.
  • The 2023 release I find is tonally almost as good as MCLD 19145, but find that there is a slight softness to the top end that could reflect the condition of the tape used (with more years of deterioration on it than in previous versions). Or perhaps a reflection of Bernie Grundman's mastering style. Given how dulled I found the first two Steely Dan releases (in any of the 2022/23 formats), I'm inclined to think it is the passage of time that caused this.
Overall, I don't like the Japan SACD enough to keep it in my collection. MCLD 19145 would be my go-to CD copy. The 2023 digital release is the better high-res version so far, although Analogue Productions will have their own SACD on the market within 3-4 months of the UHQR vinyl release. Still, with Grundman mastering all of these versions, tonality will be largely the same and differences may come down to the media format itself.

Quick shootout a few days ago with Pretzel Logic. I'm convinced the master tape is probably aged, due to how dull it sounds. In this case I compared Bernie's new digital version, an SHM-SACD, and the Citizen master (CD-resolution). Of the three...
  • The Citizen master has the strongest high frequencies, but it sounds superficially brighter. I have a feeling the highs were boosted (with analog or digital EQ, not sure), and then CEDAR noise reduction to kill the tape hiss. There is sort of an odd "twangy" distortion to the highs. It is faint but once heard, it can't be unheard.
  • The SHM-SACD is very slightly brighter than the Bernie remastering. Not hearing them side by side, you'd never notice. I'm no fan of CD reissues from Japan, especially the SHM CDs and SACDs. Any of those I've heard have always sounded "off" to me. Weird mastering or substandard source tapes most likely. (Or like a Supertramp SHM release, the dynamics were squashed.)
  • The Bernie remastering sounds like a blanket over the speakers. I can see why those who bought the UHQR have for the most part been disappointed by it. The rest of it is good but sounding a little muffled kind of ruins the experience.

When are they going to get here? been a 6 week delay. ☹️
The orders direct from Acoustic Sounds shipped two weeks ago on the 27th, and retailers get their shipments 2-3 weeks afterward. The In Groove would ship them out as soon as they arrive.

It’s finally here. I gave mine a quick clean on the Humminguru sonic record cleaner, and put it on the turntable with the Sweet Vinyl Pop Reducer set to bypass. It’s a brilliantly mixed version of the classic Aja vinyl. It’s a 2 record set, on clear vinyl. It plays at 45rpm, so you have to get up frequently to turn the disc over.
Is it worth $150? I guess so, but this will be the only Steely Dan UHQR I’ll buy. If they make a Carpenters, or other group I really like, then maybe I’ll splurge again. The packaging is amazing. It’s like opening up a box set. Lot’s of details, lyrics, advertising for other releases, etc. The packaging was extra nice. In a large box, with bubble wrap, and packaging peanuts to protect it from the USPS beating it up.
Anyway, I’m happy I invested in one copy. It really brings my new HECO Aurora 700 speakers alive.
It was worth the extra 2 month wait to receive it.

Back
Top Bottom