The Alpert Interviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

I just read the interviews of Herb Alpert by Richard Warner, and it was a great joy reading those. Nice job, Richard!

Capt. Bacardi

Agreed! Fabulous interviews, Richard -- a real treat. Thanks so much for doing them and to Neil for finding a home for them here. Quite informative.

Harry
...who'd likely stumble, fumble, and make a general fool of himself if he ever attempted an interview with Mr. A., online...

...who'd likely stumble, fumble, and make a general fool of himself if he ever attempted an interview with Mr. A., online...

And I'd do the same, no doubt, even if it were just meeting face to face!

-= N =-

One of the funnier items was reading about the tour bus that would stop in front of his old house and people would ask him to pose with the tourists. I couldn't imagine anything like that happening today. It would be a stalker's paradise. :confused:

Capt. Bacardi

I have seen only three Herb Alpert interviews; the two on this page, and one he did in promotion of his album, "Colors". It's great that these are seeing the light of day, and hopefully more will come on (perhaps on audio or video?) By any chance, since these were radio broadcasts, are there any tapes available? Were the interviews ever made into a double-CD set? :?:

I have a radio-show interview that Herb Alpert did back in the '80s. It was a show called THE GREAT SOUNDS and featured not only the Alpert interviews and music but other artists' music as well. Typically, each show segment would start with the announcer talking about some facit of Herb's career, then Herb is heard commenting, then it goes back to the announcer intro-ing the song in question. Following the Alpert section, the segment would continue with other nostalgia/MOR songs.

I've been meaning to edit it down to just a Herb Alpert show and archive it onto CD. It was sent to (and aired on) our radio station as a syndicated show on vinyl --- three or four discs, I think. As I recall, there's nothing remarkable on it that we hadn't heard before, either in the descriptions of the songs or the actual records used themselves, but it might be nice to condense it down to just the pertinent Alpert stuff.

Harry
...tired after a long week, online...

Somewhere on either a videotape or cassette, I have the interview program Herb did on radio for the Spanish Moon album. I recall taping it first on the hi-fi track of the videotape due to its long running time.

-= N =-

The two Alpert interviews I did are, indeed, on audio tape. I sound like an idiot doing the Q&A because I was so nervous (particularly the first one), but in print, it reads much more professionally. I have a picture from that interview, too, if Rudy can use it.

I also wrote an article for the Atlanta Journal/Constitution after doing an interview with him for "Spanish Moon," which I'll send over to Rudy this week. One factoid to come out of that is that his ex-wife's sister still owns the small house in LA where he got the idea for "The Lonely Bull."

I also have a 2-LP set of interviews he did for Westwood One when "Bullish" was released; those interviews, done in his office, came out very well, and I can transcribe those, I suppose, if Rudy wants them. :D

As long as copyright isn't a problem, and you don't mind transcribing (or sending photos), I have no problem with it! :D

With everything in upheaval on this end, it may take a few days to post it...or you could probably post it yourself.

-= N =-
...going outside for fresh air and an overgrown lawn...

Newspaper article by Richard Warner is now posted in the Interviews section--enjoy!

-= N =-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom