The AM/FM Blues (our gripes about radio programming)

I am in Eastern VA.
WVKL is very repetitious and Z-104 would play excessive repeats.

Well, those are both current hit-based stations. And stations like that have always had tight rotations. Even in the 60s, Top 40 stations were playing the six or seven biggest hits every hour and 40 minutes. Less popular songs, on their way up or down the chart, were generally played between every two hours and 10 minutes to every four hours or so.

By the 70s, many of the most successful stations (WABC, KCBQ) were playing their hottest current records every hour and ten minutes.

"Excessive" is in the ear of the behearer. Looking at the latest Norfolk-Virginia Beach-Newport News Nielsen Audio ratings, WVKL is a consistent number one month after month, usually at least three points ahead of the number two station in the market.

Z104 is lower-ranked, but is on an upward trend that could put it in the top ten if it continues.

Well, those are both current hit-based stations. And stations like that have always had tight rotations. Even in the 60s, Top 40 stations were playing the six or seven biggest hits every hour and 40 minutes. Less popular songs, on their way up or down the chart, were generally played between every two hours and 10 minutes to every four hours or so.

By the 70s, many of the most successful stations (WABC, KCBQ) were playing their hottest current records every hour and ten minutes.

"Excessive" is in the ear of the behearer. Looking at the latest Norfolk-Virginia Beach-Newport News Nielsen Audio ratings, WVKL is a consistent number one month after month, usually at least three points ahead of the number two station in the market.

Z104 is lower-ranked, but is on an upward trend that could put it in the top ten if it continues.
I don't listen to either one of them.

Our local top 40 station in Moscow KZFN FM ( ZFUN 106.1) is one example of excessive repetition and I've heard equally worse stations back in 1982 when I lived briefly In Salt Lake city I remember KRSP AM 1050 ( i may be wrong on the exact frequency so please bear with me ) o remember hearing Packman fever played at least 2 times every hour that's just one example they were also overplaying others too and even though the smaller market stations in southern idaho weren't that bad it was only a matter of time before they started what i call "the formula radio". That's when I started listening to non top 40 stations and began ignoring the pop charts. Thankfully the free form station I'm still working at remains fresh and very very little repetition now as to how long we last remains to be seen but I've been pretty fortunate for almost 29 years and counting I will be closing in on the 30 year Milestone in 2025 lets hope I make it there without too many bumps.

Back
Top Bottom