The Arbors sing "That's The Way It Is" From 1968--Easy Listening at It's Best

lj

For me this song perfectly represents the Pop vocal group sound for easy listening from the late 1960s. How well I remember listening to it in 1968 on AM radio KDEO. This sound also resembles the vocalists singing the TV theme song to Love American Style--also from this era. Interestingly, Walter Cronkite always ended his CBS news broadcast with the same words--That's the Way It Is.

I actually grew up in Fletcher Hills right near KDEO. It was a great little station.

Reactions: lj
Their 3rd & final album on Date Records from June of 1969 (complete album on YouTube). In 1970, they made 2 more songs on a 45 single "Okalona River Bottom Band" & "Julie, I Tried" (did not charted) but that was it on Date. Also all 3 of the Date albums are on Apple iTunes. They made 2 more albums around 1975 till 1978 on a small Michigan label but that was it.

I actually grew up in Fletcher Hills right near KDEO. It was a great little station.
EWilder--Fletcher Hills today looks pretty much like it did in 1968, and still remains a nice place to live. The commercial buildings along Fletcher Parkway are still there. The old KDEO studio building is still there with non-radio tenants. Grossmont Center is still a nice place to shop. Today the Center has Macys instead of The Broadway and Walmart instead of Montgomery Ward. And my good old alma mater San Diego State, which I attended in the late 60s and early 70s remains an architectural gem. Great memories. I'm a lucky guy.

KDEO was a great little station. In the late 60s, it had the greatest MOR/easy listening music format in San Diego County, with tons of good music and no chat. It seemed the playlist favored all the A&M artists of that era, which was a great attraction. Their top DJ was the mercurial Rod Page, who had the best radio speaking voice in my lifetime.

The Partridge Family "That's The Way It Is With You" (from 1973 "Bulletin Board" their final album) (written by Harriet Schock who wrote the late Helen Reddy 1975 song "Ain't No Way To Treat A Lady") (audio only & album track) NOT The Arbors remake.

Back
Top Bottom