The Beach Boys vs Irving/Almo

TjbBmb

Was reading Mike Love’s autobiography today and the subject of the lawsuit between The Beach Boys and Irving music came up.

From Wikipedia:

Mike Love wrote in his 2016 memoir that the group had signed away their rights to the songs under duress, and that in the late 1980s, it was discovered that the exchange was part of an elaborate plan orchestrated over two years by Abe Somer, the Beach Boys' lawyer. Somer concealed the fact that he was also Irving Music's lawyer, which was a conflict of interest.

He doesn’t paint Herb, Jerry and A&M in a very kind light, and I was surprised. Does anyone have a take on this?

Was reading Mike Love’s autobiography today and the subject of the lawsuit between The Beach Boys and Irving music came up.

From Wikipedia:

Mike Love wrote in his 2016 memoir that the group had signed away their rights to the songs under duress, and that in the late 1980s, it was discovered that the exchange was part of an elaborate plan orchestrated over two years by Abe Somer, the Beach Boys' lawyer. Somer concealed the fact that he was also Irving Music's lawyer, which was a conflict of interest.

He doesn’t paint Herb, Jerry and A&M in a very kind light, and I was surprised. Does anyone have a take on this?
I can’t find a relevant passage from the book online.

That said, business is business and business was Jerry’s thing more than Herb’s.

Also, Herb has a reputation as a terrific human being, and Mike….um…doesn’t. So there’s that.

I can’t find a relevant passage from the book online.

That said, business is business and business was Jerry’s thing more than Herb’s.

Also, Herb has a reputation as a terrific human being, and Mike….um…doesn’t. So there’s that.
I always knew the story as the Beach Boys’ dad sold the catalog because he thought their career was over and he was just a d***. But in the book Mike says their lawyer was also working for A&M and implies because he went to school with Herb, there was some grand scheme to buy the catalog for a low price and that Brian Wilson’s signature was forged.

Still doesn’t make sense to me, as the dad was the one who sold it. And regardless of how much their catalog would be worth today, as you say, business is business.

Mike Love sure does have a bad reputation. I dislike him even more after reading his terrible book. What an ego trip!

I think it's fair to say Mike Love has had issues for decades the falling out he had with Brian Wilson and numerous statements he made over the years I remember his rants and there were many those things speak for themselves although I enjoy The Beach boys music I try not to pay too much attention to their personal issues I think we will never really know what really really happened in detail concerning the Almo/Irving issue except what we already know now everything else is just guesswork and speculation in my opinion

It's safe to say that since the 1990s Brian Wilson has been propped up with continuous fan-obsessed praise... For something more accurate, timely, to-the-point, and from the man himself (before he went over the edge...) check out the 11JAN1968 Jakame Hightower interview, where among other things in response to ending the SMiLE sessions, he simply states: "I decided not to try anymore and not try to do great things". Sure enough, all subsequent BB LPs bear this out (Smiley Smile, Wild Honey, Friends, 20/20). By late 1969, Brian wasn't writing much and his involvement in the group was minimal. Their contract with Capitol had ended. They were at a low ebb and it was at this point Murray Wilson (Brian's dad) sold off the catalogue.

(For my two cents, Bri's arrangements and production from their golden era (1963-66) was at the forefront along side the finest of the formally schooled LA musicians and producers. Today is very good and Pet Sounds is excellent. SMiLE would've have bettered Pet Sounds based on the two pieces that were completed and issued (Good Vibrations, Cabinessence).)

IMHO, Good Vibrations is their ultimate track and on par with anything created by many others, including the Beatles.

Back
Top Bottom