"The Brass Are Comin'" TV Special

If I clean it up I might edit out the Petula Clark part, it goes on about 15 minutes too long.
Her segment is about 15 minutes!😉

I remember in the 80s/early 90s, I had to go to Manhattan to the Museum of Broadcasting to see this special. Now, thanks to the magic of the internet, I can see this anytime! One note: I've always wondered that when Petula Clark was the guest on the special, was this appearance supposed to be a prelude to Petula getting signed to A&M Records? Just a query....

Like Herb, Pet was also dropping in the US charts in '69; I speculate it was a backroom deal to get her on to help boost her US presence. Otherwise, I know of no Herb/TJB-Pet connection. I don't believe she was a part of the TJB Autumn '69 European tour.

Way, way back in the early days of this board, Peter Sarstedt logged in to see how he could contact Herb Alpert. I got the sense that he was looking for some past remuneration from the sales of his song on THE BRASS ARE COMIN' and on the single. We've not heard from him since.
I like that word, renumeration. That unique encounter reminds me of that grand old lyric: There's no business like show business like no business I know...

I never saw this special back in 1969. When I got the A&M Little Catalogue, all the releases that were Gold Albums were marked but this was the first from TJB that did not get certified gold. I wonder if there was a major lack of viewers of the show so not many bought the lp.
Petula Clark was not on the lp other than a picture so maybe some people were looking for her songs from the show on the soundtrack. She did have her last top 40 chart single in 1969 but continued to release singles for a long time afterward. Ironically, for the volume of hit singles she had, she never got any albums certified gold and a listing of top 40 albums in a book I saw had none for her.

The Petula Clark song "Don't Give Up" in 1968 was her last Billboard Top 40 song.
My mistake. 1968 and 1969 seem to run together sometimes.
As much as Don't Give Up got played on the radio, I was surprised at how low it actually peaked.

I remember in the 80s/early 90s, I had to go to Manhattan to the Museum of Broadcasting to see this special. Now, thanks to the magic of the internet, I can see this anytime! One note: I've always wondered that when Petula Clark was the guest on the special, was this appearance supposed to be a prelude to Petula getting signed to A&M Records? Just a query....
exactly what I did, too - saw it at the MoB.

The song that Petula Clark did was "Walk Through The World" (from the 1969 MGM movie soundtrack "Goodbye Mr. Chips" which starred the late Peter O'Toole).

IIRC, the Herb-Pet connection was Michel Colombier.
I thought it was the other way around. Petula was a guest star on the special, signed by unknown means, and that''s how Herb met Michel Colombier as he was her arranger/conductor at that time. But I've been known to get things backwards before...

Back
Top Bottom