The Brass Are Comin Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clark

I finally got a chance to see this video. By the time this TV special was shown, the Brass had been on the decline and they were to be disbanded within a few months. The music is not as good as on previous specials, but there is a little more humor. There are some neat cameos on the Wild West segment including Jimmy Stewart, Henry Fonda, Lorne Greene and Johnny Carson. The segment of the "tick" riding Brass was the funniest segment in the special. The same trend occurs in this special as was happening on the albums, more of Herb and less of the rest of the group. The last part, in which they play their greatest hits in front of a live audience was awsome. It is the first time since thier first Hollywood Palace appearance they they really play insead of miming to the music.

This tape is a double feature as it also includes the 1974 Sentry Hardware special with the the reformed TJB. Again, they play live, and Lani Hall is featured as well as the muppets. The group really plays well, and plays a combination of old hits and new songs including Coney Island. It was great to see Julius Wechter play the marimbas as part of the group, and the first song Herb and Lani did together was great. My favorite number on this special was Panama, which they did a great job on. The band played and left the comedy to the muppets. Herb showcased the other musicians, and the other trumpet player was really good.

The quality of the Brass are Comin portion was not great - definitely a copy of a copy, but the second part of the tape was much better. This is one all Herb fans need to see.

Cool! Where did you end up finding it? I have yet to locate one myself.

I think the same guy keeps putting that video out on eBay. There's a lot of them out there, all have both shows included.

Capt. Bacardi

I never like paying more than $10-$15 for a videotape, just due to their poor quality and unreliability. DVD I'd pay a little more for.

I think there is a website somewhere from which you can purchase "classic" videos, and I am very sure I have visited that site before and found a couple Herb Alpert/TJB videos.

I do not recall the URL but with some searching, I am sure it probably can be located, if it still exists. Maybe start searching with the key words "classic video...?"

Maybe you are thinking of Bruce Simons website called Kine Videos? He has several of the old Hollywood Palace shows with TJB, BMB and Brasil '66, but not The Brass are comin'.

For VHS, Kinevideo is a bit pricey, but he's such a fanatic about his material and operates on such a small scale, it's not a painful bullet to bite by any means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom