The Carpenters Album

Status
Not open for further replies.

andywithaz

I've noticed that in all the stores that carry this item list it as $18.99 but all the other singles discs of the remasters collection list for $11.99. Why is this?

I know that I ask a lot of questions but I was born in 1989 and was not around during the Carpenters era. Thanks for all your help in answering my questions. :wink: :wink:

That's a really good question and I don't have any kind of definitive answer. But I have a theory: "Superstar" - the original mix.

From the time CDs were invented and Carpenters material began appearing, there hadn't been a release with the original mix of "Superstar" on it. CDs began appearing in the mid-'80s, and by then "Superstar" had gotten one of the earliest treatments. When the tan Carpenters album was released on CD, the remix was used. The only way on CD that you could hear the original "Superstar" was on the Singles 1969-1973 disc - but that one was speeded up and segued with "Rainy Days And Mondays".

When the remasters came out, the price point may have been set higher, since fans were perhaps eager to obtain that mix and PolyGram (then the owner) may have known it. Universal probably isn't even aware of the album or its price point, but if it ever does discover it, it might be lowered under they're new pricing policy.

Harry
... being tortured by the Cubs, online...

Actually,there are 3 studio albums that are still selling at full price-CARPENTERS,LOVELINES and CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT.A&M hasn't dropped these down to midline yet, because they're still selling substantial quantities.As long as an album is selling well,the record label keeps it at full price,But,when an album starts slowing down in sales,then the record label drops the price.

That's my favorite Carpenters album; indeed, it's one of my all-time favorite albums by anyone. I was very anxious to get the remaster when it came out. I remember being annoyed that it was priced so much higher than the other catalog titles -- especially considering how short the album is! I was disappointed in three ways...no bonus material, no liner notes, and the original LP label was not replicated. But it's still a fantastic album!

I've always thought that the CarpenterS lp was more expensive due to the fact of the Grammy Award it garnered for best performance by a duo or vocal group...

Soaked in Portland,

Jeff

Actually,there are 3 studio albums that are still selling at full price-CARPENTERS,LOVELINES and CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT

Not any more! :D

CARPENTERS has now been reduced to $12.95 list. Since this is now Universal's "frontline" price, it's still a mystery why it's higher than the rest. The other catalog albums are now at $9.98, down from $11.98.

CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT is now at $14.98. I think this higher price is due to the fact that it's a "special edition" two-albums-in-one kind of thing. (I'm surprised it hasn't been cut out yet. Even the cassette version is still in print.) What's even stranger is that its price has NOT changed -- it was $14.98 before the price drop.

LOVELINES used to be $14.98, not $18.98. It is now at $9.98, like all the other catalog albums.

I think the best seller of all the Carpenters studio albums is A SONG FOR YOU.

Please note that the above are all LIST PRICES. Any music store worth its salt will sell all of these items for at least a dollar less than the prices quoted here.

I don't really keep track of all the prices but it is good to read what you guys are saying.

All I know is when I go to the records stores where I live & see the Carpenters CD's that are there and when I go back to visit the CD's are either gone or different ones are there in place.

I think someone else here mentioned the same thing. So all I know is someone is buying them because otherwise I would keep seeing the same one in the same section but that is not the case.

I just find that strange in a good way cause there still popular even though Karen has been gone for what seems like ages now. What makes people continue to buy there Cd's? I guess they must hear them on the radio & then want to go buy the CD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom