The Carpenters Collection (1978)

tomswift2002

The Carpenters Collection
Released by Arc Sound Co. Ltd, Toronto in 1978. TV Collection according to the cover. Also this 2-record set was released with two different covers. Both are common here in Canada, although the grey one is slightly more common (it uses a photo that looks like it came from the same photo session as what was later used for the “Christmas Collection” and “Icon” CD’s, although Richard seems to have reversed his coat, so that it’s brown on this LP, but the white-beige on the CD’s). The second cover is brown and uses what looks like a promotional photo from one of their Christmas specials. I’ve also seen 8-track releases of this collection that use the grey photo, but I haven’t seen any cassette versions, but I would assume that cassette would’ve been issued. I also haven’t seen or found the TV ad that was promoting this set here in Canada (it probably still exists, either as a master videotape or an off-air Betamax/vhs recording since both had been released by 1978 in Canada).

Both records in the set (both grey and brown covers) feel like they are made from a cheaper vinyl than an actual A&M 1970’s Carpenters release. That being said, they definitely sound better and quieter than the recent RPO vinyl release on 180g vinyl. The only thing noticeable sound wise is that the tracks seem to be more bassy, and sped up slightly. In terms of the extra bass, I’m wondering if that is due to added generational loss (since A&M probably have them tapes that were 2, 3 or more analog generations away from the 1st gen masters), mastering, or if A&M gave Arc sound some really badly transferred tapes.

Now then this collection includes some interesting “Hits” in its 22 tracks. The first is on Record 1, Side 1 with “Baby It’s You”. This was the first place that I ever heard this track, and as far as I know it is the only anthology that the album mix on, as 1978 was 9 years before it’s 1987 remix, and decades before its RPO mix. (And this isn’t mentioned on the Resource.)

The next is “Happy”, although in 1978, this would be its 2nd compilation as it also appeared on “The Singles 1974-1978” album.

The next would be “I Just Fall In Love Again”. Maybe because it was a Canadian release and because it was a hit with Canadian Anne Murray it was included, but I don’t think it was on any Canadian 45. Maybe here in Canada the track got some airplay from requests.

Then on Record 2, Side 2, there is “Flat Baroque” & “Piano Picker”. It’s odd that these 2 turned up here, seeing as how “Flat Baroque” was the B-Side to “It’s Going To Take Some Time” (which was a #13 hit here in Canada), which isn’t even on the Collection! Of course it’s nice that they kept FB paired with “Piano Picker”, and they are nice Richard Carpenter leads, but these are odd inclusions. But I guess this is where the Sped-up Album Mix might’ve come from that was used for the original A&M CD & the MFSL CD of “A Song For You”.

Of course the track “A Song For You” opens this entire collection. Again, kind of a curiosity; was it an AOR hit here in Canada?

Of course this collection contains 3 of the 4 non-seasonal singles released in 1977-1978. Their then-current BIG Canadian hit “Calling Occupants” closes out the album (Occupants hit #9 on the Canadian singles charts, and #10 on the Adult Contemporary), while “All You Get From Love Is A Love Song” (#38 Singles, #5 Adult Contemporary) is the third track on the album on Record 1, Side 1, and “Sweet, Sweet Smile” (#33 Singles chart, #7 Adult Contemporary (Image : RPM Weekly - Library and Archives Canada), #6 Country) opens Record 1, Side 2.

Other singles are “Sing” (#4 Singles, #5 AC), “Top Of The World” (#1 Singles, #2 AC), “A Kind of Hush” (#8 Singles, #1 AC), “I Need To Be In Love” (#31 Singles, #1 AC), “We’ve Only Just Begun” (#1 Single & AC), “Please Mr. Postman” (#1 Single & AC), “Close To You” (#1 Singles only), “Rainy Days & Monday’s” (#3 Singles, #1 AC), “Only Yesterday” (#2 Singles & AC), “Solitaire” (#12 Singles, #3 AC), “Yesterday Once More” (#1 Singles & AC), & “I Won’t Last A Day Without You” (#7 Singles, #1 AC).

Overall, it is a nice album, albeit, kind of odd with its selection. As to who put it together is unknown, as only the original production credits are given where Richard & Karen & Jack Daugherty are credited as Producers, and Richard is credited with Arrangement and Orchestration.

It was manufactured by Precision Records, Toronto, Distributed by Arc Sound Co. Limited and Copyright 1978 AHED (whatever that stands for).

Released by Arc Sound Co. Ltd, Toronto in 1978. TV Collection according to the cover.
Overall, it is a nice album, albeit, kind of odd with its selection. As to who put it together is unknown, as only the original production credits are given where Richard & Karen & Jack Daugherty are credited as Producers, and Richard is credited with Arrangement and Orchestration.
It was manufactured by Precision Records, Toronto, Distributed by Arc Sound Co. Limited and Copyright 1978 AHED (whatever that stands for).
AHED Music Corporation Ltd. was a Canadian company, in business from 1969 until 1997, and headquartered in Toronto. They manufactured guitars and guitar amplifiers, owned a chain of musical instrument stores called "Mr. Music", record labels "Arc Sound Company Ltd." and "Jukebox International" (the latter specializing in oldies compilations), and a record pressing plant "Precision Records" (which also pressed records for MCA and Motown among others). They primarily marketed their records through TV and radio ads, much like their competitors K-Tel and Quality records were doing.

I found this in a used record shop when I was a teenager. I believe this is the same one you are talking about. Link below.
I played this a lot early on before I had much of a collection, never realizing at the time this, and The Singles 1974-1978 were both releases from Canada. I've come to collect (mostly) USA releases.

Carpenters - The Carpenters Collection

I’ve been listening to this Collection since I first found it at my grandparents house in 1993! It’s funny, they were very religious and aside from a few non-religious kids records from when my mom, aunt and uncle were kids, this Carpenters Collection was the only non-religious record they owned! No one was sure who bought it, whether it was my grandparent’s or their kids. But I remember putting it on the record player (along with other kids records) whenever we went over. I even made a tape copy of some of the songs like AYGFLIALS that I still have. (My parents didn’t have a record player at that point, just CD & Cassette.)

But I have to wonder, when I was looking at the Canadian charts, if the states closest to the Canadian border had higher charting positions for the Carpenters late-70’s singles vs. The American national charts, since songs like “Calling Occupants” would’ve been getting heavy airplay and people in the border states might’ve picked up the Canadian radio broadcasts and instead of making an international phone call, just called their local American radio station or picked up the 45 at the local record shop based on the Canadian airplay?

But I have to wonder, when I was looking at the Canadian charts, if the states closest to the Canadian border had higher charting positions for the Carpenters late-70’s singles vs. The American national charts, since songs like “Calling Occupants” would’ve been getting heavy airplay and people in the border states might’ve picked up the Canadian radio broadcasts and instead of making an international phone call, just called their local American radio station or picked up the 45 at the local record shop based on the Canadian airplay?
It's possible, especially for "Calling Occupants". That song was played so often here because it counted as Canadian content (since it was written by the members of Klaatu, a Canadian group).

It's possible, especially for "Calling Occupants". That song was played so often here because it counted as Canadian content (since it was written by the members of Klaatu, a Canadian group).
As I pointed out, Occupants was a Top 10 hit in Canada, vs the more common US Top 40.

Between the success of "Occupants" (I even saw the "Occupants" promo film at the theatre before "Star Wars"), the TV campaign for "Carpenters Collection", and the release of "The Singles 1974-1978", it was a great time to be a Canadian Carpenters fan. For once, we were getting the love! :laugh:

Last edited:
I found this a few years ago here in the UK when I was maybe a year into being a fan. I found it in an old junk shop in a small town in England. How on earth did it end up here? The best guesses I have are either a fan brought it back from a holiday to Canada or it was imported. It's the black cover with a photo from their "Christmas with The Carpenters" special.

It’s interesting how “This Masquerade” appears as one of their Hits on this early compilation (it also appeared on the 1978 Asian LP “Carpenters Classics”).

One interesting thing about this collection, and it has to do with the packaging. The outside looks great and I like how the front has “The” and “Collection” integrated into the logo. On the grey cover it’s in blue and the brown cover has a brownish-gold outline for the logo. And on the grey cover I really like how they have the “TV ADVERTISED” in Pink, and “2 RECORD SET” in light blue, a color scheme thru carry over to the back cover and the titles for Record 1 are in pink, and Record 2 are blue.

Of course the actual LP labels, the completely dropped the Carpenters logo and just with a generic label where it looks like someone typed it on a typewriter, and then the printers duplicated the typewriter. And for some reason “Carpenters” on the label has an apostrophe stuck on the end of it. Also, the grey cover version came with yellow Center labels, while the brown came with reddish-orange labels (same type, but different colors). It makes me wonder if both covers were issued at once, or was one cover from 1978 and then the ad was re-aired in 1979 and the covers and stickers were changed? Or was it something like, if you lived in Eastern Canada (Ontario, Quebec, Maritimes) you got the grey cover, while the West got the brown?

Also I just noticed, the brown cover has 2 errors: the song “Piano Picker” is spelt correct on the back cover, but when you look on the front cover it is called “Piano Pickers”. Also at the bottom on the back in the copyright info, it has the (p) sound recording copyright logo1978 AHED, but then the legal copyright (c) says 1976 AHED. I guess someone wasn’t paying attention.

The labels on these LPs just scream "cheap". It was a shame to see the duo's stuff being exploited while they were still around - another sign that they were pretty well finished.

Oh, and there's nothing wrong grammatically with THE CARPENTERS' COLLECTION. It correctly conveys that the collection belongs to Carpenters. The apostrophe implies the possessive of multiple people named Carpenter.

Well, I'm wondering when this LP was released in 1978. Considering that I Believe You wasn't released until October 20, 1978 (and didn't enter the Canadian charts until December 16, 1978 at #95, before eventually peaking at #81 on December 30, 1978, with its last appearance at #90 on January 20, 1979), I wonder if this album was from earlier in 1978. Prior to I Believe You, Sweet, Sweet Smile was the last released single (and it was on all three Canadian charts until May 1978).

I wanted to see if a TV ad for Carpenters Collection 1978 was in this compilation of Carpenters collection advertisements. I didn't see it, but thought some might get a kick out of seeing this anyway.......if you haven't already!

The labels on these LPs just scream "cheap". It was a shame to see the duo's stuff being exploited while they were still around - another sign that they were pretty well finished.

Oh, and there's nothing wrong grammatically with THE CARPENTERS' COLLECTION. It correctly conveys that the collection belongs to Carpenters. The apostrophe implies the possessive of multiple people named Carpenter.
I’m starting to think that Arc Sound just used those “cheap” labels for everything. I just got in the mail today, also from 1978, a 2-LP set by them called Disco Fever, and that set contains the same typewriter-style labels, but on white this time.

Released by Arc Sound Co. Ltd, Toronto in 1978. TV Collection according to the cover. Also this 2-record set was released with two different covers. Both are common here in Canada, although the grey one is slightly more common (it uses a photo that looks like it came from the same photo session as what was later used for the “Christmas Collection” and “Icon” CD’s, although Richard seems to have reversed his coat, so that it’s brown on this LP, but the white-beige on the CD’s). The second cover is brown and uses what looks like a promotional photo from one of their Christmas specials. I’ve also seen 8-track releases of this collection that use the grey photo, but I haven’t seen any cassette versions, but I would assume that cassette would’ve been issued. I also haven’t seen or found the TV ad that was promoting this set here in Canada (it probably still exists, either as a master videotape or an off-air Betamax/vhs recording since both had been released by 1978 in Canada).

Both records in the set (both grey and brown covers) feel like they are made from a cheaper vinyl than an actual A&M 1970’s Carpenters release. That being said, they definitely sound better and quieter than the recent RPO vinyl release on 180g vinyl. The only thing noticeable sound wise is that the tracks seem to be more bassy, and sped up slightly. In terms of the extra bass, I’m wondering if that is due to added generational loss (since A&M probably have them tapes that were 2, 3 or more analog generations away from the 1st gen masters), mastering, or if A&M gave Arc sound some really badly transferred tapes.

Now then this collection includes some interesting “Hits” in its 22 tracks. The first is on Record 1, Side 1 with “Baby It’s You”. This was the first place that I ever heard this track, and as far as I know it is the only anthology that the album mix on, as 1978 was 9 years before it’s 1987 remix, and decades before its RPO mix. (And this isn’t mentioned on the Resource.)

The next is “Happy”, although in 1978, this would be its 2nd compilation as it also appeared on “The Singles 1974-1978” album.

The next would be “I Just Fall In Love Again”. Maybe because it was a Canadian release and because it was a hit with Canadian Anne Murray it was included, but I don’t think it was on any Canadian 45. Maybe here in Canada the track got some airplay from requests.

Then on Record 2, Side 2, there is “Flat Baroque” & “Piano Picker”. It’s odd that these 2 turned up here, seeing as how “Flat Baroque” was the B-Side to “It’s Going To Take Some Time” (which was a #13 hit here in Canada), which isn’t even on the Collection! Of course it’s nice that they kept FB paired with “Piano Picker”, and they are nice Richard Carpenter leads, but these are odd inclusions. But I guess this is where the Sped-up Album Mix might’ve come from that was used for the original A&M CD & the MFSL CD of “A Song For You”.

Of course the track “A Song For You” opens this entire collection. Again, kind of a curiosity; was it an AOR hit here in Canada?

Of course this collection contains 3 of the 4 non-seasonal singles released in 1977-1978. Their then-current BIG Canadian hit “Calling Occupants” closes out the album (Occupants hit #9 on the Canadian singles charts, and #10 on the Adult Contemporary), while “All You Get From Love Is A Love Song” (#38 Singles, #5 Adult Contemporary) is the third track on the album on Record 1, Side 1, and “Sweet, Sweet Smile” (#33 Singles chart, #7 Adult Contemporary (Image : RPM Weekly - Library and Archives Canada), #6 Country) opens Record 1, Side 2.

Other singles are “Sing” (#4 Singles, #5 AC), “Top Of The World” (#1 Singles, #2 AC), “A Kind of Hush” (#8 Singles, #1 AC), “I Need To Be In Love” (#31 Singles, #1 AC), “We’ve Only Just Begun” (#1 Single & AC), “Please Mr. Postman” (#1 Single & AC), “Close To You” (#1 Singles only), “Rainy Days & Monday’s” (#3 Singles, #1 AC), “Only Yesterday” (#2 Singles & AC), “Solitaire” (#12 Singles, #3 AC), “Yesterday Once More” (#1 Singles & AC), & “I Won’t Last A Day Without You” (#7 Singles, #1 AC).

I want to say that my parents found and bought this record for me years back. I'll have to pull it back out and report back on what I hear (after my new AT stylus comes in).

Back
Top Bottom