The Carpenters Definitive Hits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven J. Gross

As a minor Carpenters fan (but a fan none the less), I have several of the popular LP's, but tell me one single or double CD that is readily available that I could re-initiate myself with the band.
Looking forward to your recomendations!

One set that has lasted for many years is the one called Yesterday Once More. It was first released in 1985 and contains virtually every popular track that the duo ever did.. It's a double-disc set and usually retails in the 25 dollar range. It was updated in 1998 and has a different cover and one additional track.

A recent single disc that contains all of the best stuff is called Singles 1969-1981. You can't go wrong with that one either, and you'll find it sells for a lot less.

Both of the above feature the latest and greatest remixes of most of the songs. If you want the original album mixes, I'm afraid you'll have to spring for the Remastered Classics series of original albums, or get the box set called Essential Collection which (as a generality) uses many of the original mixes for the singles, and remixes for the album tracks.

Harry
...wondering if Spring will ever arrive, online...

Harry has pinpointed the Best Inclusive Sets and Readily Available in USA.

Three others to consider -Depends on Import Prices -and Depth of your Wallet !

Japanese 22 Hits (1995) -Includes most of Key Hits.

UK Gold (2000) -Good Recent Set.

Japanese Gold (2001) -as above plus Recent Singles : Leave
Yesterday Behind and The Rainbow Connection -both Great Songs :)

Trust You Find Good Carpenters Collection :D

Peter...Reminder to Obtain Japanese Gold......

steve,don't bother with those stinky greatest hit packages listed above(singles 69-81,yesterday once more,etc).They're all cluttered with the usual bubblegum songs.If you really want to hear Karen Carpenter in top form,start with HORIZON and VOICE OF THE HEART.Next choice would be the 2-CD CHRISTMAS COLLECTION.After this I would recommend INTERPRETATIONS and possibly the new 20th CENTURY MASTERS.These 2 compilations contain a good selection of Karen & Richard's better material(including Karen's magnum opus-"This Masquerade"),while largely avoiding the klunkers that fill up most of the other greastest hits compilation's.

Interesting perspective, but all those suggestions lack Yesterday Once More, which to me, is one of their best: a pure Carpenters product.

Craig

Mr.J said:
...stinky....bubblegum...klunkers....

Hardly words I would use in describing a Greatest Hits package, but to each his own. :shock:

Steven asked about readily available compilations. The two I mentioned are easily obtainable in the US at any brick and mortar store or online. Surely if he wishes to delve further, beyond the hits (and they WERE hits), then the original albums are the way to go. PJ's choices in imports are sound -- just more difficult to find. And GOLD includes "This Masquerade" which must've been a bigger hit in the UK than Stateside.

If one is looking for a non-hit compilation, then the Japanese Treasures two-disc set is the way to go. Pricey as an import, but a great way to listen to the many favored album tracks that usually don't see the light of day on compilations. I drag this one out fairly often when I'm not in the mood to hear "Sing" for the thousandth time.

Harry
NP: TREASURES (Japan), Carpenters

As always, Harry gives great replies that directly answer the question. Thanks Harry!

I want to add a footnote. I find that my favorite "shortened" list of tunes with my "preferred" remixes is Love Songs. What a great collection.

Love Songs sounds like it was lifted from a bad cassette tape. Poor sound quality and not the best mixes.

Craig

I admit that I've probably not listened to Love Songs more than a couple times, and that was when it first came out. I'll have to double-check it soon for both the quantity and quality of sound, but I don't recall it sounding poor. Given the time frame of its release, I can't imagine that it sounds bad. Richard simply wouldn't permit it!

For sure, I love the "foil" picture on the back cover.

Harry
...with another disc to listen to, online...

Craig,

With all due respect, I think "Love Songs sounds like it was lifted from a bad cassette tape. Poor sound quality and not the best mixes." is unjustifiably extreme. This relatively recent release reflects Richard's remixes and removing all the original hissing and such. Plus there's more echo/reverb on some of these titles compared to YOM remixes/remasters, but that's a matter of preference. Just pointing out that the quality is great.

Further, A Song For You is from the Gold Master CD edition, which resurfaced on From the Top and Essentials, and uses a distinctly different vocal track not used on the original LP release. Although I prefer Karen's vocal's on the original, I noticed that the annoying brief distortions of the instrumental tracks still exist in the remastered A Song For You CD. So I'll settle for the much better overall rendition.

"Best mixes" certainly is a personal preference. Poor sound quality is another matter. :)

I'll make it easy--just buy A Song For You and be done with it. :) Stands head and shoulder above the rest IMHO...the band and KC at their creative peak. Other than From The Top (which I only bought because it was so cheap), I own no compilations. No need to...I can reproduce them by burning my own CDs, and I don't like many of the remixes anyway. (There's too much other music out there I'd rather listen to that I haven't heard yet, rather than listen to the same old songs thrown together differently.) But in your case, getting a two CD compilation would probably be the best way to get back into it, if not one or two well-chosen albums. I personally wouldn't recommend anything past Horizon, but that's just me. :wink:

Craig-I didn't forget about "Yesterday once more",it's included in 20th CENTURY MASTERS.And,I do agree with you about LOVE SONGS-the sound quality is not good.Most people probably don't know this,but LOVE SONGS was actually compiled and mastered in London-originally planned as a UK release.I think A&M (US) borrowed the master tape from A&M (UK).But,aside from that,LOVE SONGS is a pretty good compilation(minus the front cover and a few of the remixes).Definitely a big improvement over SINGLES 1969-1981 and YESTERDAY ONCE MORE.

Steven, I have to agree with Neil on this one. I recently bought the CD of "A Song for You" and was blown away! Originally I had purchased (many years ago) the reel-to-reel tape of this album and had all the songs on other compilations. Because of discussions right here on the forum (and the fact that I can no longer play the reel-to-reels!) I decided to get the CD and I'm not at all sorry. To boot, Richard does the liner notes on this CD. I don't know how the rest of you feel about his doing the liner notes HIMSELF, but it's a definite plus in my book!

If you wanted to spend more money, "The Essential Collection" would be a great choice. I almost didn't get this one because I already have "From the Top" and I thought it would be more of the same. But--the sound quality is so much better on this collection. Again, no regrets.

Whatever you end up buying, ENJOY!!!

Marilyn

For one thing the remixed version of Hurting Each Other sounds pretty good. I've noticed that most of the tape hiss is gone on this CD. If you compare it to The Singles 1969-1981 or Yesterday Once More it is definately better!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom