The Carpenters on BBC4 29th April

Another reason I'm curious about the concert length is because the "Live at the Palladium" album is basically the same set list. Only difference is that "Jambalaya" is replaced with "I Need to be in Love" and it's even a few minutes shorter in duration. When I saw the Carpenters live in the summer of 1976 the oldies portion was part of the show which made the concert around an hour long.
Other musical numbers that they performed during their European tour that were not included in the televised broadcast were the audience participation version of SING, their GREASE medley, and COMING THROUGH THE RYE. It would be interesting to find out if these were edited out due to time constraints.

Could they have made it for non-BBC broadcast like ITV? Or the masters currently available were made for non-UK markets? Prior to 78 the BBC was notorious for wiping its videotape and destroying its film masters, and as we know from the 1971 concert, foreign masters with alternate language titles burned into the video.
Yes, many BBC shows and series were / are also screened on ABC, (Australian Broadcasting Corporation). Thus ‘Carpenters Live at the New London Theatre’ was screened nation-wide across Australia in March, 1977.

ABC was / is an Australian government-sponsored station that, like BBC, doesn’t permit commercials.

I suspect that, while the show was made primarily for BBC, it would have been produced with the knowledge that it would also be shown on various TV stations in different parts of the world.

By the way, I think one of the fan club newsletters explained why the show moved from the Palladium to the New London Theatre for filming. At any rate, I’ve read the reason somewhere but don’t remember what it was.

Yes, many BBC shows and series were / are also screened on ABC, (Australian Broadcasting Corporation). Thus ‘Carpenters Live at the New London Theatre’ was screened nation-wide across Australia in March, 1977.

ABC was / is an Australian government-sponsored station that, like BBC, doesn’t permit commercials.

I suspect that, while the show was made primarily for BBC, it would have been produced with the knowledge that it would also be shown on various TV stations in different parts of the world.

By the way, I think one of the fan club newsletters explained why the show moved from the Palladium to the New London Theatre for filming. At any rate, I’ve read the reason somewhere but don’t remember what it was.
I'm wondering now if the 1971 concert filmed by the BBC was broadcast in different parts of the world.

Here in Canada the state-owned TV network CBC is allowed to air commercials in order to supplement its budget (the only time they really don’t is if they are airing children’s programming or are covering a Live event).

Also, apparently in the US VH-1 aired the concert but removed “And When He Smiles”, “I Fell In Love With You” and the Tony Joe White songs in order to fit in commercials. Plus all the DVD releases and most streaming sites use the Japanese master that has Cantonese on screen and the TJW songs cut.

Back
Top Bottom