The Carpenters' Struggle for Uptempo Material

I remember seeing the "Postman" single on the stereos of a lot of friends who weren't exactly Carpenters fans. I think it was a smart enough career move. For the most part -- at least from their breakthrough until "Now and Then" -- it seemed like K&R completely ignored the rock era in their influences. You wouldn't guess they'd even heard most of the music from the mid-late 1960s if you missed "Ticket". The video for "Postman" was kind of cheesy, and I agree they should have dropped the covers after it. "Hush" is the one that didn't do much for me.

I thought I read once that she did write something, which she told her hairdresser.
Karen's hairdresser, Arthur Johns, was quoted in People Magazine as saying that Karen told him, I think not long before she died, that she'd begun writing songs. But as I recall, Richard denied that. Without independent verification, it's really hard to know if there was any truth to Johns' statement.

Karen's hairdresser, Arthur Johns, was quoted in People Magazine as saying that Karen told him, I think not long before she died, that she'd begun writing songs. But as I recall, Richard denied that. Without independent verification, it's really hard to know if there was any truth to Johns' statement.

Maybe Richard never knew? I don't think he was ever asking her about it and maybe she just didn't tell him.

It would have been interesting to see what kind of songs Karen would have written. She didn’t read music but was an accomplished drummer. Drummers write interesting songs, with interesting rhythms.

Maybe Richard never knew? I don't think he was ever asking her about it and maybe she just didn't tell him.

I’ve always thought that. Plus, it was probably easier for Richard to say they’d never been written than to try and answer all the questions that would’ve inevitably come up otherwise (What happened to them? What were they about? etc.) That’s purely speculation though. Only Karen would know for sure.

It would have been interesting to see what kind of songs Karen would have written. She didn’t read music but was an accomplished drummer. Drummers write interesting songs, with interesting rhythms.

I thought she did read music, because she played piano also...

Leslie Johnston is quoted in Randy's book (page 43) as saying: “Karen was such a great musician but didn't read music as well as I did, so she listened to me for the part.” That tells me Karen did know how to read music, but maybe wasn't as proficient at it as other musicians.

Back
Top Bottom