The CD Reissues are Wonderful.

What's humorous about this is that today, you won't find any bar, grille or restaurant playing any instrumental music such as this. Many use a satellite service for music now, as the royalties are rolled up into their monthly cost.

As for "too loud," I wish I had not been working afternoons at the office back in the early 80s. One of the local easy listening stations (and this one was a real snoozer) had changed over to a hard rock format overnight. I would loved to have seen the secretary's face when she turned the radio on that morning. :D
Very true and there are a few online radio services offering Easy Listening today but i preferred having the actual music in my collection on CD and Download and i will say there has been far more of it availible for download than on CD and thankfully I was able to obtain them because now some of them Have Disappeared. I consider myself fortunate. Some radio stations when changing from easy listening would go either country Hard Rock or oldies. One in particular closer to me did their format change in stages they went NAC for about a year and a half then switched to Soft rock ( or as they called it continuous soft hits) after a decade they did some stunting with something called Quality rock ( whatever that is ) then a few years later went Modern Country and they still are today. Sadly these soft hit stations used to play Herb alpert's Rise but none of his other tunes Radio Had Long ago Abandoned Herb and most of the classic A&M artists sad days we live in it seems.

Took awhile because the Christmas season hit, so I spent a couple weekends to listen to Christmas music, but I finally got a chance to listen to You Smile - The Song Begins and Coney Island. You Smile came across as more of a transitional between TJB and his solo work, but Coney Island seemed more split between that transitional and a return to TJB form. My biggest question, though, is why, in looking through the list of who wrote the songs, I don't see the name Sol Lake anywhere on either of them. He has at least one song on every album from The Lonely Bull to Summertime, then poof!, he disappeared. What happened? Did he and Herb have a falling out? Had Herb fallen so far from commercial relevance that he took to writing for other, more lucrative artists? It must be something, right?

Took awhile because the Christmas season hit, so I spent a couple weekends to listen to Christmas music, but I finally got a chance to listen to You Smile - The Song Begins and Coney Island. You Smile came across as more of a transitional between TJB and his solo work, but Coney Island seemed more split between that transitional and a return to TJB form. My biggest question, though, is why, in looking through the list of who wrote the songs, I don't see the name Sol Lake anywhere on either of them. He has at least one song on every album from The Lonely Bull to Summertime, then poof!, he disappeared. What happened? Did he and Herb have a falling out? Had Herb fallen so far from commercial relevance that he took to writing for other, more lucrative artists? It must be something, right?
I Think Sol Lake Retired some time after the early 70s in the 1987 TJB entry of the CD classics volume 1 in the liner notes it said by that time Sol lake was retired and Living Comfortably. From His TJB Earnings

Very true and there are a few online radio services offering Easy Listening today but i preferred having the actual music in my collection on CD and Download and i will say there has been far more of it availible for download than on CD and thankfully I was able to obtain them because now some of them Have Disappeared. I consider myself fortunate. Some radio stations when changing from easy listening would go either country Hard Rock or oldies. One in particular closer to me did their format change in stages they went NAC for about a year and a half then switched to Soft rock ( or as they called it continuous soft hits) after a decade they did some stunting with something called Quality rock ( whatever that is ) then a few years later went Modern Country and they still are today. Sadly these soft hit stations used to play Herb alpert's Rise but none of his other tunes Radio Had Long ago Abandoned Herb and most of the classic A&M artists sad days we live in it seems.

There are two easy listening stations I hear regularly, both terrestrial but with streaming also. One is KNCT 91.3 FM, public radio from Central Texas College in Killeen. I'm just inside their broadcast area here in Austin and can pick it up on the car radio most places around town. The other is KZQX 100.3/97.9 FM in Kilgore, which is way too far away for me to pick up so I listen to the stream. Both play a nice mix of EL and pop and the occasional Herb, Brasil '66 and the very occasional BMB. I like QX a lot because it's as close to a '60s AM feel as I've heard since . . . the '60s!

KNCT
qx-fm.com

=Mike A.

Back
Top Bottom