The "Close To You" Music Videos - Why Two?

ringves

Most Carpenters fans are familiar with the following two music videos of "Close To You".

A couple of questions:

1) Does anyone know which video was shot first? "White blouse Karen" or "Blue vest Karen"?

2) Why was the 2nd video shot at all? Was the first video deemed unsatisfactory for some reason?

Most Carpenters fans are familiar with the following two music videos of "Close To You".

A couple of questions:

1) Does anyone know which video was shot first? "White blouse Karen" or "Blue vest Karen"?

2) Why was the 2nd video shot at all? Was the first video deemed unsatisfactory for some reason?

I like the first video because I like Karen in the white blouse. 😍

The first video was a promo video shot in A&M's Studio B, and the second was a lip synced performance shot for the television series "Make Your Own Kind of Music" in 1971.
So, the first (promo) video was a live performance and not lip synced? They both sound exactly alike...Karen was really good at lip syncing...except on the Ella Medley, where she should have been singing live anyway...

So, the first (promo) video was a live performance and not lip synced? They both sound exactly alike...Karen was really good at lip syncing...except on the Ella Medley, where she should have been singing live anyway...
My apologizes for not clarifying… both were lip synced to the recording.

When the Carps lip synced a song for a video was it their standard practice to actually be singing/playing along with the recording?

I thought that the 2nd video above was from their appearance on the Don Knotts show. It doesn't look like the 2 CTY videos that I have seen on YouTube from MYOKM
You're right! I was half awake when I wrote the initial response and obviously spaced it. The second video was definitely taped for the Don Knott's special in 1970.

Sorry for the confusion.

You're right! I was half awake when I wrote the initial response and obviously spaced it. The second video was definitely taped for the Don Knott's special in 1970.

Sorry for the confusion.
Did not MYOKOM replace the Don Knotts Show?

Thank you to Chris & John for the information about the 2 videos.

For the longest time, I had thought that the Don Knotts video was also filmed on the A&M lot - a 2nd promo video, if you will. I now know the truth!

Nice to have both videos for posterity.

Back
Top Bottom