The "Close to You" story from Richard's new album, "Richard Carpenter's Piano Songbook"

Looks like the album has been put on hold till January...

Got this newsletter:

Hello all,

The first track off my forthcoming album, Richard Carpenter’s Piano Songbook is out now!

Listen to the glacial new version for solo piano of (They Long to Be) Close to You, one of the most beloved melodies of all time.

The album is now releasing 14th January 2022, and is available to pre-order across CD, vinyl and digital formats now

Richard returned to A&M Studios to tell the story of "Close to You," from its beginnings to its new release, as featured on the forthcoming album, "Richard Carpenter’s Piano Songbook," available to pre order now.

Thanks for posting this, Chris. I could listen to Richard play the piano all day. I think I'm going to enjoy his new album! I also always find his explanations and anecdotes most interesting.

By the way, I loved the more ornate piano arrangements of Carpenters songs that he played while doing the rounds to promote 'Voice of the Heart' all those years ago, but the more pared back versions also sound great!

Love it!

I so admire those who have the innate talent to make the piano an extension of themselves. Richard is certainly one of those. The ease in which he can just launch into something that was just a thought moments ago and play it note-perfect amazes and delights me. I studied piano for a number of years as a child and was told that I took to it really well, but other than reading the notes on the page, I could never simply sit down and improvise.

If it ain't on the page, it ain't comin' outta my pianer... :)

Last edited:
Oh boy, I love solo piano. And with these strong melodies, I think this album will really pull at the emotions.

Back
Top Bottom