The closest thing to "rock music"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marblerabbit

I'd be interested in getting everyone's opinion as to what TJB track comes closest to rock music. My pick is Flamingo - it's got the fuzz bass down in the mix and the Phil Spector "wall of sound" treatment with layered percussion, pianos, and a rockin' performance by Nick on the drums.

The first thing that comes to mind is "Walk, Don't Run" - a rocker if I ever heard one!

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

Harry
...also surfing instead of working, online...

"Walk Don't Run," "Love Potion #9," "Town Without Pity" and "Wade in the Water."

The drum work in WDR is :cool: !

And my favorite non-TJB Alpert rocker is "Make A Wish" from the BULLISH album.

Walk Don't Run. Rocking Drums and Rockin' Guitar!

And for country-like I'd say Anna from Brass Are Comin' for TJB and Angeline from Rise for Alpert solo...

--Mr Bill

How about "Sunny"? I think that arrangement has a bit of a rockin' beat. "Third Man Theme" is pretty "groovy" as well.

Joe, NP: "Flamingo" - Herb & the Tijuana Brass

Don't forget THE FACTORY from BEYOND, with that Peter Frampton guitar solo, and MANIAC from BULLISH...also, PUSH AND PULL from FANDANGO-it was Latin pop, but it really swings...there's all that funk from RISE, especially the last 2 minutes or so of ARANJUEZ...for surfin' music, remember SURFIN' SENORITA? My sister used to do a lot of mid-to-late '60's dance steps to ADIOS MI CORAZON, too...

There were a lot of rockin' tunes from Herb and the gang...

"Mexican Drummer Man" is probably the ultimate nod to the Spector Wall of Sound. :)

Rockers, I'd pick "Third Man Theme" and "Walk, Don't Run". (Which reminds me...we haven't heard from our bud Dave Twogood in a LOOOONG time. :confused: ) Older rock, yes, I'd pick "Surfin' Senorita". I've heard another version of this one that is nearly identical.

Most of the good ones have already been mentioned. My rockers would be "Swinger From Seville", "Walk, Don't Run", "Third Man Theme", "Love Potion #9", "Blue Sunday", "Darlin'", "I Can't Go On Living, Baby, Without You", maybe "Five Minutes More" and "Plucky".

Hmmm, sounds like another idea for a homeade compilation... :cool:

Capt. Bacardi
NP: Pat Metheny - First Circle

Hmmm, sounds like another idea for a homeade compilation...

Yeah. I've long been planning to make one titled TJB ROCKS! but have never gotten to it....waiting for the reissues for sterling sound quality!

Mike Blakesley said:
Yeah. I've long been planning to make one titled TJB ROCKS! but have never gotten to it....waiting for the reissues for sterling sound quality!

It might be quicker to do your own! :wink:

Capt. Bacardi
...back from vacation online...

1. Walk Don't Run
2. Love Potion #9
3. Wade In The Water
4. Town Without Pity

I think Walk Don't Run is the best example of "TJB rock."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom