🥂 50th The Complete Carpenters Recording Resource

I think I may have found an error in the "Recording Resource": It says that the "Essential Collection" has the original album mix of "There's a Kind of Hush" on it. Now I don't know how it looks on the CD editions, but both Spotify and Qobuz state that it is the 1985 remix. Personally, I'm a little unsure, but would agree. What do you guys think about this?

Sources:

I gave the preview a listen and it appears to be the 1976 album mix.

Yep. I agree. The ESSENTIAL COLLECTION version on CD is definitely the album version with the synth stabs at about :50. I can't vouch for anything in the streaming world. You're on your own there.

Now I don't know how it looks on the CD editions, but both Spotify and Qobuz state that it is the 1985 remix.
The streaming companies use what data is provided to them by the record label or the distributor. That said, I would not completely trust the data which the label sent to the streamers.

This is the Qobuz listing for the track:

1675806387855.png

Yep. I agree. The ESSENTIAL COLLECTION version on CD is definitely the album version with the synth stabs at about :50. I can't vouch for anything in the streaming world. You're on your own there.
All of these streaming releases are available on YouTube Music, same versions as any other service:

I hear some weird blipping in both the YouTube Music and Qobuz version around 0:50, same as the Remastered Classics CD, so I guess that's it?

So I'd say the label passed along bad info to all the streamers...

Many thanks to all three of you, I was unsure about this, because I also find it difficult to distinguish the "All of my Live" remix from 1987 from the original album mix, for example. Then obviously the streaming providers, or as Rudy says, actually the label, must have made a mistake in their naming of the song.

The streaming services have no choice but to use the label's data, as they have millions upon millions of tracks to account for in their databases. The fact that three streaming companies, and perhaps more, probably have the exact same error in the metadata points to the label sending this incorrect data to them, as it is identically worded in all of them.

There is also no guarantee that the label sends over the same version of the song that was released in the original CD compilation. I don't own any of these compilations, but it might be interesting for someone to compare the version on streaming (via YouTube Music or otherwise) and see what might be different.

That was one of the reasons I wanted to identify all of the mixes on CD that was out there. The information on other sites wasn't correct, so I attempted to "strive for perfection", as a current phrase being bandied about would say. Back when I worked on the Resource, streaming was in its infancy or non-existence.

Basically, if "Hush" has the synth stabs at :50 (...you will see what I mean. -trumpet- It isn't a dream...), then it's the original album mix. This mix is also a bit "dirty" sounding. The first two times Karen sings "...all over the world" there's an overloaded distortion sound on the right channel as if the level were too high for the tape. It's in other places too. The remix version cleaned that up a little bit.

I am trying to get some original pressings of Carpenters vinyl. I see on Discogs several listings from the release year in Mint and Near Mint condition. What is the best way to identify if the record is really from the original pressing. Thanks.

I am trying to get some original pressings of Carpenters vinyl. I see on Discogs several listings from the release year in Mint and Near Mint condition. What is the best way to identify if the record is really from the original pressing. Thanks.
That's a tough question, as I have wanted to get some original pressings myself or, at least, clean earlier pressings. Buying one sealed means that there is no way to read the dead wax to see what might be written or stamped there but on the other hand, I'll buy a sealed copy since I know it was never played and/or damaged.

A correction regarding Gold (US) (2004): "Top Of The World" has the last few seconds of "Love Is Surrender" overlaid onto the outro, to mimic the segue from that song into "Maybe It's You" as present on the Close To You album. Should it be noted as "segued" or as a seperate version on the site?

A correction regarding Gold (US) (2004): "Top Of The World" has the last few seconds of "Love Is Surrender" overlaid onto the outro, to mimic the segue from that song into "Maybe It's You" as present on the Close To You album. Should it be noted as "segued" or as a seperate version on the site?
It’s actually what’s known as a cross fade vs. segue. Although I’m not sure how Harry has those indicated.

@Harry?

Coming from radio, I've always termed it a segue, but no time like the present to start calling it a cross-fade.

This one's a bit tricky as Richard added a couple of lone piano notes at the tail end of the "Top Of The World" track which leads into "Maybe It's You." If one were to start "Maybe It's You" at its index point, you wouldn't notice a cross-fade at all, but if you're looking to play ONLY "Top Of The World" from this disc, you'll get those couple of stray extra notes.

I've marked it as a light cross fade.

Last edited:
“Maybe It’s You” traditionally starts off with a series of four half-notes leading into the arpeggiated intro (which is likely what @Harry is referring to here). Both songs are in the key of B-flat, which is why Richard opted for the cross fade.

Here is an addition to the discography for your consideration. The 1993 MAGICAL MEMORIES OF THE CARPENTERS UK 5-CD Reader's Digest set was released the following year in Australia as a 4-CD set.

DISC 3: SING

16. You (sped-up)

I’ve just come across this - was ‘You’ actually sped up? If so was that the case with the UK release and and was the Australian release different to the UK version in any other way?

I’ve just come across this - was ‘You’ actually sped up? If so was that the case with the UK release and and was the Australian release different to the UK version in any other way?
It was sped up for the US vinyl release, then returned to normal speed for the Remastered Classics release. I personally can’t speak with any authority on the UK and Australian releases.

It was sped up for the US vinyl release, then returned to normal speed for the Remastered Classics release. I personally can’t speak with any authority on the UK and Australian releases.

Vinyl release of which album Chris? The Magical Memories wasn’t ever released on vinyl as far as I know.

Vinyl release of which album Chris? The Magical Memories wasn’t ever released on vinyl as far as I know.
My apologies! I didn't read the previous post thoroughly. I thought you were referring to the Hush album!

Back
Top Bottom