The continuing adventures of a computer crash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
Two days ago, my computer of about eight years finally gave up the ghost. I had left it running as I usually do during the day while we went out to dinner with our out-of-town guests, coming home to a totally black screen that wouldn't "wake up." This was an XP box that had served me well, and I was sad to see it go, but in the back of my mind, knew its time was limited.

I'd had the front two USB ports die on me about a year ago, cluing me in that the motherboard might be starting to go. Last year I bought a terabyte external drive to use to back the computer up, and indeed I did, but the last really good backup of everything on that C: drive was quite a few months ago.

I decided back last year to store all of my data on the new terabyte drive, a wise decision, as I really lost nothing in terms of pictures, music, and documents. The biggest loss that I discovered so far was a database of DVD movies called DVD Profiler.

That software keeps a list of all of the DVDs and Blu-Rays in my collection, and everything, including the backup was on that C: drive. The great thing about DVD Profiler is that you can upload the whole collection to an online site so you can check your collection from anywhere there's an Internet connection. So if you ever DO lose your local data, you can reconstruct it from the online site. Sort of a "cloud" backup, I suppose.

Well it turns out I was a bit lax lately, and hadn't uploaded the collection to the site since October 25th of last year. So I had to rescue the online data up to that point, and then recreate from memory what titles were added since then. Since it was over the Christmas season, I had a pretty good idea of what we'd added - I think I only missed one, using the old internal analog brain.

After doing that, since I was dealing with the subject, I elected to compare each title on the shelf with one in the database to try and catch any other anomalies that crept in over the years - something I hadn't done since before we moved. That exercise turned up a few surprising things like DVD's that had never been entered, and others that have been eliminated through duplication, upgrades, etc.

So this little project took just about a day's time, along with a few other odds and ends, like:

- Continuing to familiarize myself with Windows 7. It's got a lot of interesting differences from XP, some, IMHO, not necessary, others surprisingly nice.

- Getting my email in Windows Live Mail to work the way I want it to work.

- Getting some general Windows settings the way I want them to work.

- Hooking up my printer - I'd been using an old parallel connector with the old box, and thought I'd need an adapter, but it turns out that this printer has another connector port that goes to a USB computer port. I found a cable from another old unused component that works just fine.

- Rescuing some old software from the existing backup to see if it works in Win 7.

- Verifying that the optical drive is functioning, and that I can use it in ways that are familiar.

Thing's that are giving me fits right now:

- Trying to get Office XP to work under Win 7. Word and Excel run fine, but it's not letting me register the software online, so I may have to phone it in. It's telling me I've got 45 more uses left.

- Finding my way around new versions of familiar software, adding to the learning curve.

I loved the new computer's speed. It's an HP desktop, Intel Core i3-2130 processor, 6 GB RAM, and 1 terabyte hard drive. I didn't want a laptop or pad device, which seems to be all they're stocking these days. I'd just gotten a new monitor last year and didn't want to purchase another, so this fit in with the idea of a desktop tower.

But these kind of changes surely slow one down. Doing things that used to be nearly instantaneous because of one's familiarity with the software, now take those extra few minutes of reading menu structures, finding hidden functions, locating things on disk drives in unfamiliar locations, etc.

I'll get the hang of it eventually - I hope...

Harry

I share in your frustration, Harry. But the pros and cons always seem to balance out -- like needing to spend time learning the new way to do something ina program balances with the speed of doing it. Entrpopy, Yin & Yang, Koyaanisqatsi, etc...

(POSTED A SECOND TIME AFTER MY USUAL DAILY "ENTER A VALID MESSAGE" WARNING)

So I'm not the only one getting that warning message, Bill I wrote a thread about it in the help. There is a problem with the board software or something. My connection has always been the same so its not on my end.

Harry I understand. I'm still using xp and it works for me. Last week my sister got a new tower with win 7 she asked me to help her move all her docs from old to new. It gave me chance to use win 7. It's nice but does take time to learn it.

Oh I forgot to say. When I went to move the data from my sisters xp to win 7. I thought I would use this program I had called dellmover which uses a parallel port cable. But before you hook up the parallel port cable you go through the old system and pick and choose the pics, docs etc you want to move.

So I spent about 30-45 mins doing all that then the program said now hook up the parallel port cable. Ha ha I laugh now but it wasn't funny to find out win 7 has no parallel port connection. So I went down to office depot to look for an usb adapter for the parallel port cable. It costs 25.00 bucks. I said to my sister no way let's just get a flash drive. At least you can re use that.

Between my day job, my theatre and my home office, and Lynn's home office, I am the "IT guy" for 11 computers -- 13 if you count my mom and mother-in-law who call me with their problems. So far, 4 of these machines are on Windows 7. (Four of the machines at the store are administered by Carquest and will probably be XP until doomsday...they are still running IE6 on those crazy things.) I like 7 pretty well, it's very smooth and easy once you get used to the slightly different concepts used. The "themes" are very nice too - I have a Brazil theme on the theatre computer right now.

It's getting a little better day by day. Yesterday I used a chat option with Microsoft to get the activation key for Office XP. So Word and Excel are working OK now. The problem I'm seeing with Outlook XP, by reading online, is a password bug. Apparently, XP stored the password in a place that doesn't exist or won't work in Win7, so if installed, every time you open the program, you have to give it your ID and password. I would imagine that with a few email addresses, THAT could get old real fast. So for now, I'm sticking with Windows Live Mail.

Things I used to use that won't work on Win7:

- Nero CD burner. But the fix is a replacement CyberLink Power2Go that seems to be pretty much identical - with everything in different places.

- Tetris. I don't play many computer games, but found Tetris a mindless way of killing some time. The version I had went way back to Win 95 - I grabbed it from something called a Windows Entertainment Pack years ago and have continued to have no trouble with it until now. It complains about 64/32 bits.

- Lotus 1-2-3 for Windows. This program was the killer app that got PC's into office environments years ago, and in the old DOS days, I was pretty much a wizard with it. I stuck with it into the Windows environment for awhile, but later saw the handwriting on the wall and grudgingly switched to Excel. My problem with Excel is simply that Lotus was SO familiar, that the Excel interface still feels wrong. Fortunately, I can still open old Lotus files with Excel and whip them into shape if need be,

- Some ancient DOS programs and utilities. While these were not relied on very much, it was nice to know that I could still run them under WinXP just for fun. I guess I'll have to say goodbye to them.

There is a lot that I DO like in Windows 7. Its speed, its overall smoothness. It'll take time, but I'll get used to it.

Harry

I have an old "classic pinball machines" collection that I can't get to load into Win7. I used to use it once in a while to pass the time during long movies. It tries to install but then nothing happens. I've tried all the tricks I know but at the end of the day, there's plenty other stuff I can entertain myself with....like reading! There's always a magazine or two, or a Wikipedia topic that I'm curious about. So passing time isn't usually a problem.

Before XP, I had a great simulation of Ms. PacMan (called Ms. PacPC). It was written for slower processors, so by the time XP was the norm, it had lost some of its functionality. The keyboard no longer functioned the way it should have, as you had to anticipate corners quicker than you should. I've never found a satisfactory replacement, other than the http://www.google.com/pacman doodle.

I've lost a lot of my more specialized fonts that I collected over the years. If I can get the old hard drive connected. I should be able to rescue those, but I've not really begun to investigate that. I DO like the Windows 7 themes and the ability to assemble your own.

Harry

Drop the old hard drive into a USB enclosure and you should be able to access it that way. Sometimes you can find them for under $10.

Since the old computer died (didn't power on, correct?), the power supply probably quit, or a fan on the CPU may have died, which prevents it from starting. So the hard drive should be intact.

The only way I could revive my computer was to replace it--the power supply was already dicey, then the motherboard got very flaky on me, and I wound up just getting a new hard drive in addition to memory, motherboard, CPU, power supply and video card. Sounds expensive but it wasn't: Micro Center had everything in stock, and I think all told, it was under $400. I get exactly what I want, although I'm going to replace the motherboard since I don't like it.

8GB of DDR3 memory recently cost me $29.99; can't believe it is so cheap now. Having used 4GB with Win7 for awhile, I recommend bumping it to at least 8GB total if not higher. I'm at 12GB but looking to get to 16GB. I actually now use 4GB as a RAM disk when ripping audio from CD. Speeds things up quite a bit, then I move them over to my media drive or USB stick. You can only use more than 3.2GB of memory if you use 64-bit Windows. And I only recommend 64-bit on newer computers since you'd otherwise be wasting a lot of computing power. It'd be like letting Grandma drive your Lamborghini to church and back at 10 miles per hour. :D

One thing I might do in my next system is get at least 8 CPU cores, and two CD/DVD drives. When I finally get around to setting up a music server, having this would really speed up the process. My CPU is a quad-core currently, and the software I use (dBpoweramp) makes use of each CPU core separately. IOW, it can convert four files at once, one on each CPU core. The progress bar shows which CPUs are encoding which songs. If I rip a CD with shorter track times (such as the Simon & Garfunkel CDs I'm ripping right now), the drive can stay spun up to top speed while the various CPU cores compress the files. With two drives, I could rip two at once. I also rip files to the RAMdisk so I am not hung up with the overhead of writing to the hard disk. When you're ripping or converting thousands of discs (tens of thousands of songs), anything is worth helping reduce the tedium. :D

The old hard drive is intact. I bought a USB enclosure for it. It arrived today, and I've successfully installed it in the box and gotten it hooked up as a USB hard drive to the new computer. Immediately copied everything over.

One thing that didn't copy was the all important "Documents and settings" folder. So I created a new folder called "Old Doc and settings" and then copied everything I could from within "Documents and settings" over to it. It complained about a couple of files, one said "V1.2" or something. I didn't worry about it.

Now I'm trying to rescue my old saved emails from the old Outlook XP. There's apparently no direct import from that to Windows Live Mail, so I'm going the circuitous route. First, I copied the outlook files over to my laptop running XP with Outlook and Outlook Express. After copying the files over to the laptop, I'm now running an import within Outlook Express to convert the Outlook files over to Outlook Express.

Whenever this finishes, I'll need to save the OE files to a thumb drive and then get it into the new computer. Then I need to figure out how to get Live Mail to read this data. Whew! They don't make it easy!

Harry

When you're done copying everything over, you could probably format that old drive and reuse it. Wipe it clean, reformat it (with NTFS if you're strictly Windows-based), and use it for additional storage or better yet, as a backup of important files. You can schedule backups in Win7. (I would have to check the exact details--I only recall backup procedures from Windows Server 2008 R2, which is more robust.)

I'm currently backing up important files to Amazon Web Services (Amazon S3). Basically, I can get space dirt cheap on an Amazon server, upload files to it (which costs nothing), and retrieve a file only if I lose one on the local machine. I am eventually going to archive all of my digital photos to this AWS account, as an ultimate backup.

Interesting, AWS. It takes a bit of technical knowledge to set up, but once you're over that hurdle, it's easy. You can even buy a small program that maps drive letters on your computer to your Amazon S3 storage bucket. The storage cost is a joke: at my cost, it's $0.125US per GB per month. So per month, I could store 8GB for a dollar! They do not charge for inbound bandwidth (uploading files), but do charge for downloading, which is also a pittance. If you consider that you would only download from a backup in the event of a disaster, storing data is very cheap insurance.

I keep old servers at work and upgrade hard drive capacities and networking. I use them for backup of business and DJ and Sales and On air talent data. Keeps em out of junkyards. And makes my users happier when machines crash or malware happens or files get deleted. .

I store duplicates of important files on other computers in the house, but my worry is what would happen in event of total disaster? That's one reason I want to store some of these in a remote location. Thing is, I have not yet worked out how to encrypt the files properly. (IOW, if someone were to download the files, they could not open them without a proper encryption key pair.) Until that's solved, I'm not storing anything important off-site. And I'm actually looking at encryption for these important files on our own computers. Especially on a laptop, which could be stolen or lost.

I do this and have asset tracking software and can remotely disable a laptop if stolen. And can find out where that laptop is if stolen. The software is called tri-lock.

KentTeffeteller said:
I do this and have asset tracking software and can remotely disable a laptop if stolen. And can find out where that laptop is if stolen. The software is called tri-lock.

That is neat! I use something similar on my smartphone in fact.

I store duplicates of important files on other computers in the house, but my worry is what would happen in event of total disaster? That's one reason I want to store some of these in a remote location. Thing is, I have not yet worked out how to encrypt the files properly. (IOW, if someone were to download the files, they could not open them without a proper encryption key pair.) Until that's solved, I'm not storing anything important off-site. And I'm actually looking at encryption for these important files on our own computers. Especially on a laptop, which could be stolen or lost.
I save important files off-site in password protected Winrar archives. This not only protects against unauthorized access, but compresses the files to a smaller size, so they take up less space on the server.

Winrar archives are sensible for the job. Well thought out Rudy. I use them a lot for backups. I have my important files backed up on different media and multiple servers I manage. Passworded and encrypted. The only cloud I trust is my own. And all servers tape backupped as well.

The only problem with an archive (zip, rar, gz, etc.) is that if someone cracks the password, they still could have access to your unencrypted files. But it is still far better than offloading unencrypted/unprotected files as-is to a remote computer!

I do need to store some files off-site in the event that anything catastrophic happens here. Even if I have them on two or more computers in the same building, what happens if the building is a total loss? I used to run tape backups, but a tape backup is so 1999. :laugh: Encryption I want even on my main computer, in the event it is ever stolen or compromised. For laptops, I am wondering if someone makes a remote program like they do for my smartphone--if it is stolen, a simple command could completely erase the contents of the laptop (the moment it connects to the Internet, of course).

Tri-Lock can at least disable it . It might have an erase command. It can back up the contents of the machine and be restored with one key command, updates and all. This product was originally aimed at rent to own stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom