The Corrs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grainne

harry!!!!

sorry for the off topic post, BUT the corrs have just announced that they are having an irish tour this summer, playing in belfast, killarney and DUBLIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i am so so happy, its been ages since they played at home ( since landsdowne rd)..tickets go on sale next friday.woohooooooo

grainne :D

Hi Grainne. Yes, I heard about those concert announcements. It should be great for all of you Irish fans who haven't seen them live in years! I guess I picked the wrong year to finally visit Dublin (last year)!

We're all still waiting some kind of official announcements about the new album. It was originally slated for March, but that seems unlikely at this point. In the meantime, I've been keeping busy listening to the more Corrs-y mix of Sheryl Crow's "C'mon, C'mon", as well as Andrea Corr's lead vocal on the IN AMERICA song, "Time Enough For Tears."

Hopefully, these concert announcements will be the start of a big worldwide tour, and some of us in the States will get a chance to see our favorite current band in person. I'd like to not have to travel all the way to Australia to see them again (though going back to Australia wouldn't be so terrible!).

Harry
NP: "Time Enough For Tears" - Andrea Corr

Harry & Grainne - I too love the Coors! Can't wait for their next album!! I really hope they do a world tour soon. I would love to see them in concert at least once - wondering if they have ever toured in america?
I remember them coming to NY city I believe. Harry I think I remember you attending that performance? But have they ever done a concert tour in the USA? If not why not? Tim.

Hi Timothy - No, the Corrs haven't done an 'official' US tour. About six or seven years ago, they toured with other artists - The Rolling Stones and Celine Dion, and since then they've done a few sporadic concerts. One was in Chicago, one in New York, and a guest opening shot at a U2 concert in Florida.

They've done a few music 'festival' type of concerts around the US - usually sponsored by a radio station where they are one of many artists performing just a few songs each.

I went up to New York to see them perform on the Today Show back in September of 2000. Then we saw them in Australia when we coordinated our vacation plans with their tour dates in Sydney and Melbourne. There was supposed to be a brief tour of the US when "Breathless" was a hit in the spring of 2001, but Andrea got an ear infection which threw those plans out the window.

Lets hope things work out better this time around.

Harry
...awaiting a little ice storm to turn to rain, online...

The Corrs will play their only show in Germany this summer here in Bonn.

I don't know this group. Did they have any hit single? Should I buy an album? Should I go to this concert?

Bruno

Bruno, if you like Carpenters then you'll probably like The Corrs. Grainne from Ireland turned me onto them back in December of 1999. This old Carpenters fan was thrilled to find a group that excelled in sibling harmonies, not unlike Karen and Richard - except there are four Corrs. The lone male, Jim, plays keyboards, guitar, and handles a lot of the arranging and producing. Sister Sharon plays (mostly) violin and sings backing vocals. Other sister Caroline plays (mostly) drums and sings backup. And the lead singer (and tin-whistle player) is Andrea.

They have three main studio albums out currently and one on the way. There are also several live albums and DVDs available. Many fans feel that their best work was on their first two albums: FORGIVEN, NOT FORGOTTEN, and TALK ON CORNERS. Their third album IN BLUE, though hugely successful all over the world, drew some criticism for its tendency to be more 'poppy.'

Germany has seen at least one important Corrs release: a revised version of their MTV UNPLUGGED album, with an added studio track for the song "At Your Side" that's never appeared anywhere else. They performed it on a show there a few years ago called, I believe, Wetten Dass.

Harry
...urging Bruno to sample The Corrs, online...

Thanks for the quick answer, Harry!

WETTEN DASS (meaning: I bet, that.....) is the most popular and succesfull tv show in Germany. The show runs since the Eighties. If an international star wants to promote his new CD in Germany, this is the show to go to. Elton John, Madonna, Neil Diamond.....they all have been there.

I just ordered the album BEST OF THE CORRS at amazon.de.

The Corrs will perform in Bonn on June 19th.

Bruno

BEST OF THE CORRS is a good choice, as it's a sampling of all of their best stuff from the albums so far, plus a track that was new when this album was released, "Would You Be Happier?" and a previously unreleased track, "Make You Mine" that they finshed off for the BEST OF.

Enjoy! And don't forget to let us know what you think.

Harry
...wrapping up the work-week, online...

Yes Bruno, let us know what you think. Harry got me into the Corrs a while back and I have most all there Cd's including some cool singles with re-mixes & rare songs.

Some of mine are:

Talk on Corners (both the original Cd w bonus Live tracks (this one was hard to find) & I have the Special Edition which includes cool remixes)
Forgivin not Forgotten
In Blue w/ bonus 3 tracks and
In Blue w (special bonus Cd of accoutic tracks)
The Corrs Unplugged (excellent accoutic type w/ cool song called No Frontiers.
The Corrs Live in Dublin (one of my favorite CD's I also have the video I taped from VH1 of this special, great track called Summer Wine (w/Bono) also love Ruby Tuesday & When the Stars go Blue great track
The Corrs Live-A Japan Import w exclusive song "Rainy Day"-an excellent excellent track.

For Singles I have 2
Give me a Reason-includes album version & remix version & a very special song called Rebel Heart which is different than the album version from In Blue, this one is longer & very very very cool, instrumental w/ more vocals added that are haunting from Andrea, (reminds me of Karen Carpenter in a way with the haunting vocals. I absolutly looove this song. Great driving in your car with this one.
Would you be Happier-with 2 diff versions of this song and a cool rare live version of The Long & Winding Road.

I also have several DVD's of theres from Live Concerts. There amazing to watch on stage. I wish they would tour here in the states.

This group has so many similarities to the Carpenters, there an all brother & sisters group just like Karen & Richard were. They have honest up front clear vocals, they so talented & play all there own instruments just like the Carpenters & there vocals are pure like The Carpenters. There talent just amazes me.

...thanking Harry for getting me into The Corrs.

I just listened to BEST OF CORRS for the first time.

I recognized the song WHAT CAN I DO, because this is played very often on German radio. I also recognized the songs BREATHLESS and IRRESISTIBLE.

The sound is a mixture of Carpenters and ABBA, but it is a little rockier than those groups.

These are my very first impressions. I like the album and the group. I will listen to it more often in the days to come, so I can give a more detailed review.

Thanks for introducing me to the Corrs!!

Bruno

Yes, I guess you could say that The Corrs sound tends toward the rockier side, especially compared with the much softer Carpenters. Still, the harmonies have to win you over.

In case you weren't aware, The Corrs have claimed to be influenced greatly by Carpenters. Their late mother is said to have had a voice like Karen Carpenters and raised her kids on those old Carps albums.

Harry
...hoping we've created another Corrs fan, online...

Some more thoughts:

I recognized the song RADIO, too. There are several songs on this album, that I have heard over the last years on the radio, I liked them, but I never knew, who was singing them.

A difference to Carpenters is, that the Corrs songs are guitar driven. In the Carpenters songs, the piano is the most important instrument.

Andrea Corr's voice is not so recognizable. If I hear one note from Karen, or from Dionne Warwick, or from Barbra Streisand, I know who the singer is. Andrea has a fine voice, but it is not so unique. She sounds a bit like Linda Ronstadt, but Ronstadt's vocals are lower and stronger.

The more I listen to the album, the more I like it.

Bruno
to be continued

An update with a bit of Corrs news.

March 1st, the band performed at the Irish Meteor Awards and premiered the first new song from their forthcoming album. The song's title is "Summer Sunshine", and contain the words "borrowed heaven" in the lyrics. BORROWED HEAVEN has been the rumored title of the new album.

Recent information places the single's release at early May, with the album due May 24 (all in Europe - no word on US releases).

The Meteor Awards held March 1 will be broadcast on Irish Network 2 on Wednesday March 3, where fans who couldn't attend the ceremonies will get their first taste of the new song.

I fully expect this video and audio to be all over the Internet within hours of the broadcast, so stay tuned!

Harry
...with the latest, online...

Keep us updated Harry, I'd love to see this & hear it even if it's blurry video, I don't care, I wanna hear it. :D

Nice title for the new album. Hope it's a catchy tune.

Harry said:
Recent information places the single's release at early May, with the album due May 24 (all in Europe - no word on US releases)

It WILL be released in the U.S. though, right? Last time I heard the words "no word on US releases" tagged to a CD I was planning on buying was Del Amitri's "Can You Do Me Good?," which ultimately NEVER came out in the U.S., so that makes me a little nervous ...

I can't imagine that this album wouldn't get a US release - however, I CAN envision a scenario where it will be released much later than in Europe.

That's the way it was with the last album - released in the summer in Europe and elsewhere, then a US release in September to coincide with some promotional TV appearances.

As always, one can always buy a copy from an import source when it gets released 'over there.'

And of course, singles are almost NEVER released for sale in the US.

Harry
NP: radio at work

Well the very first link to the new song was so bad that I didn't bother to repeat it here. Someone taped the show from the audience and then divided it up into three little files and it sounded just awful.

Overnight, another person uploaded the song as taped from Irish television. The quality's better but still not perfect.

Keep in mind this is a live performance on TV. The single will no doubt be a better production.

Harry
[post edited by Harry]

Lyrics to "Summer Sunshine" as transcribed by other fans:

I feel it’s changing, I stay the same
I’m… a solo cello outside a chor-us
I’ve got a secret,
It’s time for me to tell that you’ve been keeping me warm

To sweet beginnings and bitter en-dings
In coffee city, we borrowed hea-ven
Don’t give it back, I’ve never felt so wanted
Are you taking me home?
You tell me you have to go…

In the heat of summer sunshine
I miss you like nobody else
I kissed you, and nobody needs to know

Now that you’ve loved me, there’s no retur-ning
I keep comparing, you’re always win-ning
I try to be strong but you’ll never be more wanted
Will you make me a home?
Don't tell me you have to go...

I kissed you, and nobody needs to know

Ya da... ya da... ya da

To sweet beginnings and bitter en-dings
In coffee city, we borrowed hea-ven
Don’t give it back
Winter is coming and I need to stay warm

(The heat.....)
I'll kiss you, and nobody knows

I'll kiss you, and nobody needs to know

©2004 The Corrs

Harry
NP: "Summer Sunshine" - Corrs

[post updated with more corrected lyrics]

Harry said:
Keep in mind this is a live performance on TV. The single will no doubt be a better production.

Thanks for posting the link to the new song Harry! I'm listening to it as I type this, and it sure is nice to hear something new from the Corrs. :) I can hardly wait for the new album!

Murray

Excellent Harry, the first link didn't work, It also took me 2 times to download it from the 2nd link.

I love live versions, you can hear the energy. can't wait for the studio version. :)

Harry, Have you noticed any difference in the quality of the Bonus Acoustic CD on the Special Edition-In Blue Collection? The bonus CD which includes 7 tracks (3 acoustic) & a bonus live version of So Young.

Anyway I was playing it today & really noticed how it sounds louder than most CD pressing. Would the acoustic track processing have any influence on the quality of the CD. It sounds amazing, so clear & up front. Or just the way the CD was manufactured? Mine has a Warner sticker on the jewel case UK.

Wondered if you noticed it. I sure did. All the songs just pop out at you.

...who thinks this bonus CD is worth the price of this set, online....

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
Anyway I was playing it today & really noticed how it sounds louder than most CD pressing.

That means it was WAY over-compressed. I bet if you heard an LP version of it (if it existed), or SACD, it would sound a lot better. A sad, disturbing and twisted trend in CD mastering today, IMHO. Superficially nice, but far from sounding "natural".

I wouldn't call it all that compressed, but it does have a lot of apparent loudness. The situation is that it's all acoustic - guitar, violin, bodhran (percussion), and vocals, all in a very quiet studio setting.

On my CD-recorder with the level meters, these songs range in levels from about -10 to about -3 most of the time, with an occasional nudge into the red.

Harry
...looking at the music instead of listening to it, online...

I thought maybe it had more to do with it being recorded in acoustic, when the first song plays "Somebody for Someone"...that guitar strikes up, it's apparent. The quality is good, in fact I like the sound alot. Makes me feel as if I'm there in the studio with them recording these. :tongue:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom