The Corrs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update: 3/20/04

One of the Corrs fans has uploaded the video of "Summer Sunshine". It'll be available in three formats for a week.

Head here: http://www.tjcorrs.com/tj/index.htm and pick your format!

I picked the MPEG format. Looks and sounds great!

There's also very early word of a US concert on August 28th at the FleetBoston Pavilion in Boston, MA.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/artist/781240/

This looks very preliminary and somewhat unconfirmed, but still, it looks like The Corrs will be in the US sometime in late Summer.

Harry
NP: "Summer Sunshine" - Corrs

Thanks Harry for posting the link to the video! :D It took a long time to download the MPEG, but it was worth the wait. Incredible quality. Nice song too... This one's going on a DVD asap!

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
Sharon is so good looking, it's hurts!!!! :oops:

You ain't just a whistlin' Dixie Chris!!! Sharon looks gorgeous in this video, but then again, when doesn't she? :love:

Murray

In addition to the Boston concert mentioned before, a few new dates have been added to the US Tour. More may be forthcoming - meantime here's the current list:

http://www.pollstar.com/tour/searchall.pl?By=Artist&Content=CORRS&PSKey=Y

Fri 08/06/04 Woodinville, WA Chateau Ste. Michelle

Sun 08/08/04 Portland, OR Arlene Schnitzer Hall

Thu 08/12/04 Saratoga, CA Historic Mountain Winery

Sun 08/15/04 San Diego, CA Humphrey's By The Bay

Thu 08/19/04 Highland Park, IL Ravinia Festival

Sat 08/21/04 Cleveland, OH Tower City Amphitheatre

Wed 08/25/04 Vienna, VA Wolf Trap Filene Ctr.

Sat 08/28/04 Boston, MA FleetBoston Pavilion

Harry
...who's going to at least the Boston concert for sure, online...

An update:

Several more concerts have been added to both the European and US tours. Check the Pollstar link above for the latest additions.

Meanwhile, the official German record company site ( http://www.thecorrs.de/ ) has posted the rather wet cover artwork for the new single, "Summer Sunshine."

684771.jpg

The general consensus on the picture is mixed, but I think it works well as an ironic picture, given the song's *sunny* title. The tracklisting for the European single has been quoted as being:

1. Summer Sunshine (Single Version) 02:53
2. Summer Sunshine (Acoustic) 00:01
3. Summer Sunshine (Ford's Remix) 00:01
4. Summer Sunshine (Video) 03:24

...but I wouldn't pay attention to those middle timings of one second!

Word is still that the official release date for the Borrowed Heaven album is May 24 in Europe and now we're hearing May 25 in the US. Japan may actually beat us all to the punch a week earlier, and as usual, the Japanese version is scheduled to have an extra track.

That's the latest news and weather, now checking sports...

Harry
...with the latest, online...

Wow cool photo, I like it. Please let me know when & where I can order this single. I plan to purchase it with all these mixes. I want this one. :thumbsup:

...spying an acoustic on that track list, a must have for this fan, online...

Did anyone else here look at this cover and think, "Hey! Kinda Claudine Longet-ish!"? :tongue:
Between the lettering on the cover and the sexy shot of the girls ( :D ) , that's the first thing that immediately came to MY mind!

Thanks for the good info. about the Coors upcoming concerts! Wondering if anyone will be going to a concert? I am looking at going to one of three places - either Pitts. Wantagh Ny or Vienna Virginia? Wondering if anyone is familar with any of these venues? And if you would recommend one over the other. All 3 are within 3-4 hours from me. I'm located in NE PA. Thanks Tim.

I'm not familiar with any of those venues at all, but I've heard that the NY one (on Long Island) is very large, 14,000+ seats. Unless you could be sure to obtain good seats, you could get lost in a very large crowd.

My guess is that Pittsburgh or Virginia might be smaller venues.

Personally, I'll be attending the Boston concert on Aug 28th, combining it with a little Boston sightseeing trip.

Harry
...who'll forgive Timothy JUST THIS ONCE for misspelling "Corrs", online... :wink:

For those that still haven't heard the new single, "Summer Sunshine", there's now a link on the Corrs Official Website where you can listen to the full studio version on the song. Go here and follow the links to the song.

Word is that US radio stations will get the go-ahead to play it on April 26th or so. Album release date is still set for May 24 in Europe, May 25 in the US.

Harry
NP: "Summer Sunshine" -Corrs

Well Andrew finally got this CD too! I just love it! It's like a good book, but instead of can't putting it down, I can't stop listening to it. You know what I mean!

I have heard Breathless countless times on the radio but never paid attention to the artist. Glad to finally have this song on CD.

Now that I know that the Corrs did some work with Sheryl Crow, I will have to seek out the import CD, The Very Best of Sheryl Crow. I am also a huge Sheryl Crow fan (she falls in right behind the Carpenters.) I have also gotten to be a real good ABBA fan also. :wink:

raz42289 said:
Well Andrew finally got this CD too! I just love it! It's like a good book, but instead of can't putting it down, I can't stop listening to it. You know what I mean!

Andrew: which CD did you get? The Best Of?

I have heard Breathless countless times on the radio but never paid attention to the artist. Glad to finally have this song on CD.

It's their biggest US hit.

Now that I know that the Corrs did some work with Sheryl Crow, I will have to seek out the import CD, The Very Best of Sheryl Crow. I am also a huge Sheryl Crow fan (she falls in right behind the Carpenters.) I have also gotten to be a real good ABBA fan also. :wink:

While that import The Very Best of Sheryl Crow has the "C'mon, C'mon" track with the Corrs, there's a more Corrs-y version out as a promo single. There are a few floating around on eBay, usually from Spain or Great Britain. The song has a whole different feel with more of Corrs presence.

Harry
...winning another one over!, online...

raz42289 said:
I meant the Very Best of the Corrs.

This is one that I have not picked up, It was kinda expensive when I saw it at Sam Goody a while back & it had alot of songs I already had. I can't wait for the new CD & the single CD.

n.p. Made in America Lp w/ headphones (life is good)

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
n.p. Made in America Lp w/ headphones (life is good)

Darn! My home theater system doesn't have a headphone jack so I do not get to listen to my vinyl collection through my prized Sennheiser HD 212 Pro DJ headphones. It is about time to upgrade to the Sennheiser HD 650 headphones. Those are the best headphones in the world.

I'm so excited - got my tickets to see in the Corrs in concert on Wed. Agust. 25 at 8pm, at the wolf trap Filene Center in Vienna Va.! The seats are great! Wondering if anyone else might be going to same the concert? Also can't wait for the release of "Summer Sunshine!" Tim.

I was listening to the song RADIO and it reminded me of a song. I listened closely and then it hit me. The lyrics reminded me of Yesterday Once More. The lyrics are

It's late at night, and I'm feeling down...
There are couples standing on the street
Sharing summer kisses and city sounds...

So I step inside, for a glass of wine.
With a full glass and an empty heart,
I search for something to occupy my mind...

But you are in my head, swimming forever in my head,
Tangled in my dreams, swimming forever...

So I listen to the radio (listen to the radio)
All the songs we used to know (listen to the radio)
Remember where we used to go

Now its morning light, and it's cold outside,
Caught up in a distant dream I try
And think that you are by my side...

So I leave my bed, and I try to dress,
Wondering why my mind plays tricks
And fools me into thinking you are there

But you're just in my head,
Swimming forever in my head,
Not lying in my bed, just swimming forever...

I listen to the radio (listen to the radio)
Remember how we used to go

You are in my head, swimming forever in my head
Tangled in my dreams, swimming forever (swimming forever)
Swimming forever...

Andrew
...who is celebrating his 15th Birth Day tomorrow...

:happybirthday: First off, Happy Birthday, Andrew!

And let me point out the full circle reached here:

In December of 1999, on another Carpenters board, (Ran's old place), it was the starter of this thread, Grainne (from Ireland), who posted about a new Corrs record called "Radio" and how it reminded her of the lyrics to the Carpenters song, "Yesterday Once More." Her recommendation, plus a vague memory of having seen them on some morning TV show earlier that year, is what urged me to seek out The Corrs.

"Radio" was their newest single at that time, just beginning to appear on the radio in Ireland and the UK. It was taken from their MTV UNPLUGGED concert which had just come out on CD. The only albums I could find in the stores at the time were TALK ON CORNERS (US-SE), and their first, FORGIVEN NOT FORGOTTEN. UNPLUGGED wasn't being marketed in the States (still isn't to this day!), so I had to order it from Europe.

Thus began my Corrs fandom, which I've attempted to share here in this small part of the Corner, where we've found that big Carpenters fans often really like The Corrs too. Now Andrew, one of those new fans, has pointed out that "Radio" reminds him of the lyrics to "Yesterday Once More". The circle is complete!

For those Carpenters fans who've yet to make the effort to seek out The Corrs, here's a few similarities:

Both groups are composed of siblings. The Corrs are four siblings, three sisters and a brother. All four are involved in the songwriting effort. Andrea is the lead singer and plays tinwhistle; Sharon sings backup and plays violin; Caroline is the drummer who also sings backup; and Jim is the pianist/guitarist who works on arrangements and such.

Similar songs:

- already pointed out, "Radio" and 'Yesterday Once More"

- though they sound nothing alike, The Corrs did a b-side called "Rainy Day" while Carpenters of course did "Rainy Days and Mondays"

- both have done an ABBA tune somewhere in their career, Corrs doing "The Winner Takes It All" with Carpenters doing "Thank You For The Music"

- Carpenters did "Close To You", Corrs did "Closer"

- Carpenters re-did one of their songs in Spanish, "Sing/Canta", Corrs did one too, "One Night" became "Una Noche" (as a duet with Alejandro Sanz)

Like many other groups these days, Corrs songs occasionally get remixes, and we all know of all the remixes in the Carpenters canon.

One of the Corrs recordings, a song called "Intimacy" was recorded at A&M Studios.

The biggest similarity though is in the sound of the backing vocals. Karen and Richard used overdubbing a lot to achieve their backing harmonies, while The Corrs, being four, don't rely on it as often, but do occasionally. It's the backing harmonies that most remind me of Carpenters music, along with some occasional phrases where Andrea sounds a bit like Karen.

The Corrs claim Carpenters as one of their big influences. Their late mother, Jean, was a big Carpenters fan who listened to them a lot while The Corrs were growing up in the '70s and early '80s. Jean is said to have had a voice like Karen Carpenter, though there are no public recordings of her.

Harry
...who still thanks Grainne for turning him on to The Corrs, online...

The Corrs concert in Bonn in June is already sold out..... :sad:

The location is a small one, open air.

I should have made up my mind more quickly.

Bruno

Harry - you mentioned the song "closer". I love that song! Hadn't heard it in awhile so I'm listening to it now as I write. Great song! I love the Irish accent of the group. The other day we were traveling and listening to "Live in Dublin" Cd. I love that CD. At several points my wife (who's not a real Carpenter's fan) remarked that a particular song sounds like the Carpenters to her. She could hear some similarities between the two. I think some of the harmonies sound carpenterish. I'm so looking forward to hearing them in concert this summer! Wolf Trap is a small venue - I believe only holds about 4,000. I know you've heard them several times in concert - I'm wondering do you think they are as good in concert as on CD or maybe even better? My daughter 14 is going with me to the concert. She just started taking drum lessons and I'm hoping she'll be inspired after seeing a lady drummer! Another similarity - Karen was a drummer as well and a pretty good one I might add. I was amazed at Karen's drum playing skills when I saw them in conert - same one you were at as I recall. Tim.

Timothy,

The Corrs are excellent in live performance. Many fans say they're even better than on record. The records tend to have a lot of polished production, whereas the live shows are just four excellent musicians (+ their two backup guys on guitar and bass) playing and singing their hearts out. The highlight of any Corrs concert is when Caroline steps away from her drum kit and comes up front with Andrea and the four of them perform a few acoustic songs. Great stuff.

Caroline also usually heads for the acoustic piano for "Runaway", one of their signature tunes.

That's not to take away from Caroline's drumming skills at all - they are excellent. If you have access to the DVD called LIVE IN LONDON, it has several songs on it where you can choose which Corr you want to watch. Many fans enjoy watching the 'Caroline-cam'.

If you're going to a venue of only 4000, you'll have a great time. You'll have to give us your review here - a day or so before I see them in Boston.

Harry
...veteran of two full-fledged Corrs concerts: Sydney and Melbourne, 2001, online...

The official video to "Summer Sunshine" has been airing the last few days in Europe. It's also now available for viewing on the Atlantic Records website.

It's one of those videos with an odd concept. I'll be interested to read your opinions.

BTW, the Atlantic site still mentions May 25th as the album release date. Most CD websites are listing it for June 1 through June 8. We'll see...

Harry
NP: Corrs - "Summer Sunshine"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom