The Curious Comeback of 3 inch Vinyl Records

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

This article just popped up on my newsfeed...just when you think it was safe in silence....:laugh:

I have heard and actually own 3 inch Japan audio CD's however I never knew the same could be had for vinyl. Check out the pictures in the article...is this little turntable cute or what? I want it just for the novelty and conversation piece. :laugh: It runs on batteries :biglaugh:So what happens when the batteries start to get weak? Does Karen Carpenters voice start to REALLY get low? :laugh::unhunh:

The possible, curious comeback of 3-inch vinyl records

RSD3-12-of-15-1440x1080.jpg

"Honey, I shrunk the turntable!" :laugh:

That mini turntable certainly is cute, but aside from being a conversation piece, it is essentially useless. There will probably only be a few records made for it, they'll be expensive and hard to find, and the format will disappear quickly.

Here's a video about the original 3" singles and turntable from Japan:

:idea: I thought of a use for that mini turntable after all. It would look really cool in a little girl's dollhouse. She could pretend that her Cabbage Patch Kids were playing records!

:idea: I thought of a use for that mini turntable after all. It would look really cool in a little girl's dollhouse. She could pretend that her Cabbage Patch Kids were playing records!
My first thought was, “Oh, cool. A Barbie stereo.”

Actually, i’d Love to have one, but I’m so broke I can’t pay attention rifgt now. :D

Does Karen Carpenters voice start to REALLY get low? :laugh::unhunh:
Of course! She's channeling Barry White. As smooth as the static on your baby's telephone line. :D

This whole thing is some novelty to cash in on the vinyl popularity. It's coming out for Record Store Day. I agree--it won't last very long, as few people who are serious about records are going to invest money into yet another piece of hardware to play back music.

It's like what the guys at Schiit Audio say about MQA: They make products for the music you have. Not the music you have to buy.

In Japan, there actually was a lot of interest in mini-systems in the 80s. These were downsized components that easily fit on a tabletop. Sony even had a square turntable that was probably half the size of a 12" record. The record was held by a pair of hubs pressed against the label.

This is a Mitsubishi micro component system. it does not look small, until you see the cassette deck on top, in relation to the width of a cassette...

upload_2019-4-1_21-6-15.png

If I want a turntable I'll get a regular full size one This one is just a toy and will be totally useless in the long run

Back
Top Bottom