🎷 AotW: Jazz The Dave Brubeck Quartet - TIME FURTHER OUT

Jazz releases not on the CTi or Horizon labels.

How Would You Rate This Album?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• * (Worst)

• Never Heard This Album

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

The Dave Brubeck Quartet
TIME FURTHER OUT
Columbia Records CS 8490
Dave_Brubeck_-_Time_Further_Out.jpg

Released 1961

Produced by Teo Macero

Peaked at #8 on the Billboard 200 Albums chart (1962)
"Unsquare Dance" peaked at #74 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart (1962)

Songs:

1. It's A Raggy Waltz - 5:12
2. Bluette - 5:21
3. Charles Matthew Hallelujah - 2:52
4. Far More Blue - 4:38
5. Far More Drums - 4:00
6. Maori Blues - 3:54
7. Unsquare Dance - 2:00
8. Bru's Boogie Woogie - 2:28
9. Blue Shadows In The Street - 6:35
10. Slow And Easy (a.k.a. Lawless Mike) - 3:29*
11. It's A Raggy Waltz (Live at Carnegie Hall) - 6:37*

All compositions by Dave Brubeck
* - Bonus tracks not on original LP
Musicians:
Dave Brubeck - Piano
Paul Desmond - Alto Sax
Joe Morello - Drums
Eugene Wright - Bass

Recorded by Fred Plaut
Art Direction: Tony Sellari
Design: Randall Martin
Cover Painting: PAINTING: 1925 by Joan Miro
Liner Notes by Dave Brubeck

Available at Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Time-Further-Dave-Quartet-Brubeck/dp/B003O5MO0C/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1420242916&sr=1-1&keywords=dave brubeck time further out

Capt. Bacardi

This might be my favorite of Brubeck's Time albums, although I do like them all. "Far More Drums" is a good demo track for the system. (In fact, it popped the protection circuit on my amp while trying to drive a single electrostatic speaker I am working on refurbishing. :D )

There is an excellent vinyl reissue of this on the Music On Vinyl label. I have not posted an official review yet, but while it may lack a very slight amount of detail (as opposed to the "360 Sound" pressing I have), the vinyl is flat and quiet. MOV is an official Sony licensee, and from what I understand, the old CBS Holland pressing plant is doing these. Nice job so far on the half dozen titles I've heard.

The MOV pressing: http://www.amazon.com/Time-Further-Out-Dave-Brubeck/dp/B008IYBRPW/

Another solid outing for the Brubeck Quartet, although this album doesn't seem to flow as smoothly as the Time Out album. Quite a few waltz's on this release as well. "Far More Blue" almost sounds like a "Take Five" clone. My favorite track is "Bru's Boogie Woogie" with "Slow And Easy" a close second. Solid playing by everyone as well. I always thought that "Unsquare Dance" was an odd choice for a single, though.

Capt. Bacardi

The sequencing of tracks is interesting.

First track is like 2/4 3/4 6/4 3/4 (best I can describe it).

2nd is 3/4

3rd is 4/4

4th and 5th are 5/4

6th is 6/8

7th is 7/4

8th is 4/4 (but is almost like 8/8, just for the sake of argument)

9th is 9/8

So other than the first track it is almost sequenced like an ascending order of time signatures. Best I can explain for now, not having a computer handy.

I have this as part of a multi Cd set called" For All Time"( which also includes Time Out.) Brubeck was a true Innovator and there was never anyone like him before or since. My mother had a few of his LP's around and when i first heard them i was hooked. And now i have a whole section of Brubeck CD's on one of my shelf sections. He is truly missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom