• The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available. Use this link to order, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

The Ed Sullivan Show - remastered & streaming

tomswift2002

Interesting. Of course, depending on how the shot the show in the 40’s and 50’s, those episodes could be old kinescope copies. Of course the show switched to color videotape around 1967-68, so don’t expect much better quality than the DVD releases for any Carpenters appearances (and considering the show ended in 1971, how many appearances did the Carpenters do?).

A&M Retro

The show started using B&W videotape in the early ‘60s. The very first Ed Sullivan Show broadcast in color was in September, 1965. The Rolling Stones performed ‘Satisfaction’, so it was a big one!

The week before was the last show broadcast/taped in black and white featured The Beatles, when they made their last appearance actually in the CBS studio.

Carpenters (as far as I know) were only on the show 2 times (both in 1970). The first appearance was the well-known one with ‘Close To You’ and ‘We’ve Only Just Begun’. The second appearance was the episode taped at Walter Reed Hospital. They performed the Bacharach medley ‘live’.

AM Matt

Last week of March of 1971 that The Ed Sullivan Show ended. Singer Melanie (who did "Ruby Tuesday") I think was the last musical guest.

Martin Medrano

The show started using B&W videotape in the early ‘60s. The very first Ed Sullivan Show broadcast in color was in September, 1965. The Rolling Stones performed ‘Satisfaction’, so it was a big one!

The week before was the last show broadcast/taped in black and white featured The Beatles, when they made their last appearance actually in the CBS studio.

Carpenters (as far as I know) were only on the show 2 times (both in 1970). The first appearance was the well-known one with ‘Close To You’ and ‘We’ve Only Just Begun’. The second appearance was the episode taped at Walter Reed Hospital. They performed the Bacharach medley ‘live’.

So that's where this is from. I often wondered where they did this live performance.

Carpe diem

The Ed Sullivan Show was an American Institution for 30 years on Sunday night. It always ranked high in the weekly ratings. A true variety show that had something for everybody. The host was stiff and wooden and constantly made fun of and impersonated as with comedian Will Jordan;

Top Bottom