The Ed Sullivan Show - remastered & streaming

Interesting. Of course, depending on how the shot the show in the 40’s and 50’s, those episodes could be old kinescope copies. Of course the show switched to color videotape around 1967-68, so don’t expect much better quality than the DVD releases for any Carpenters appearances (and considering the show ended in 1971, how many appearances did the Carpenters do?).

The show started using B&W videotape in the early ‘60s. The very first Ed Sullivan Show broadcast in color was in September, 1965. The Rolling Stones performed ‘Satisfaction’, so it was a big one!

The week before was the last show broadcast/taped in black and white featured The Beatles, when they made their last appearance actually in the CBS studio.

Carpenters (as far as I know) were only on the show 2 times (both in 1970). The first appearance was the well-known one with ‘Close To You’ and ‘We’ve Only Just Begun’. The second appearance was the episode taped at Walter Reed Hospital. They performed the Bacharach medley ‘live’.

Last week of March of 1971 that The Ed Sullivan Show ended. Singer Melanie (who did "Ruby Tuesday") I think was the last musical guest.

The show started using B&W videotape in the early ‘60s. The very first Ed Sullivan Show broadcast in color was in September, 1965. The Rolling Stones performed ‘Satisfaction’, so it was a big one!

The week before was the last show broadcast/taped in black and white featured The Beatles, when they made their last appearance actually in the CBS studio.

Carpenters (as far as I know) were only on the show 2 times (both in 1970). The first appearance was the well-known one with ‘Close To You’ and ‘We’ve Only Just Begun’. The second appearance was the episode taped at Walter Reed Hospital. They performed the Bacharach medley ‘live’.

So that's where this is from. I often wondered where they did this live performance.

The Ed Sullivan Show was an American Institution for 30 years on Sunday night. It always ranked high in the weekly ratings. A true variety show that had something for everybody. The host was stiff and wooden and constantly made fun of and impersonated as with comedian Will Jordan;

Carpenters appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show from 1970 where they perform “We’ve Only Just Begun” will be posted on March 15 on the Ed Sullivan Show YouTube channel, fully remastered!

Chris

How will it be remastered? The show had been taping on videotape for a long time by that point, so there’s no film (or kinescope) to remaster. (Of course a remaster can also refer to just copying something from one format to another.).

How will it be remastered? The show had been taping on videotape for a long time by that point, so there’s no film (or kinescope) to remaster. (Of course a remaster can also refer to just copying something from one format to another.).
I don’t really know!
I think they indeed mean Copying from something from one format to another!
By the way, Close to you has been posted now!

MeTV is going to start running The Best of the Ed Sullivan Show starting Sunday 3/21/21 at 6:30 pm PDT. It’s a half hour format. The Beatles and Elvis are on the first airing. They surely cleaned up the tapes or videos for the series some way....

I don’t really know!
I think they indeed mean Copying from something from one format to another!
By the way, Close to you has been posted now!

The broadcast standard at that time was 2-inch Quad. So that would be the original master. If that tape was still working, they might’ve run it through a modern digitizer to get a cleaner and better image. Otherwise, they might be using a digital copy from the 90’s, like Digital Betacam or DVCPRO/DVCam.

The Ed Sullivan Show was edited down to 30 minute shows about 10 years ago. This was done for syndication. Much of Ed's original hours contained a lot of fluff about current-day goings on around the New York entertainment scene. The half-hours are edited to omit a lot of that, and to present mostly comedy and musical acts that appeared on the show.

IIRC, Ed made sure that everything that appeared on his show fell under his own ownership, which is why so many musical acts' performances can be shown.

The series has been running on MeTV's sister channel DECADES for a few years. They run two half-hours in the morning and the same two every evening, M-F.

I'm sure that MeTV is just using it as a filler to round out the 90 minute COLUMBO that precedes it.

But there isn't any new remastering.

The Ed Sullivan Show was edited down to 30 minute shows about 10 years ago. This was done for syndication. Much of Ed's original hours contained a lot of fluff about current-day goings on around the New York entertainment scene. The half-hours are edited to omit a lot of that, and to present mostly comedy and musical acts that appeared on the show.

IIRC, Ed made sure that everything that appeared on his show fell under his own ownership, which is why so many musical acts' performances can be shown.

The series has been running on MeTV's sister channel DECADES for a few years. They run two half-hours in the morning and the same two every evening, M-F.

I'm sure that MeTV is just using it as a filler to round out the 90 minute COLUMBO that precedes it.

But there isn't any new remastering.
Sofa Entertainment has been editing it since the early 90’s. I’ve got the “Close To You” clip on VHS from 1999-2000 with a different narration than what was released on the Rhino DVD in the early-2000’s.

But in the 90’s, before they even started re-editing the shows, I could see them transferring the shows to something more modern than 2-inch quad in order to work with them. Those Quad tapes probably haven’t been played in 30 years.

Carpenters appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show from 1970 where they perform “We’ve Only Just Begun” will be posted on March 15 on the Ed Sullivan Show YouTube channel, fully remastered!

Chris
Here's the video:

Taken together (understanding also that these videos were shot using a multi-camera setup), it's evident that the "Close to You" video from earlier segues into "We've Only Just Begun," then "We've Only Just Begun" segues back into the "wahh" section of "Close to You."

I guess technically this was a medley that maybe should have been posted as one performance, but it has since been edited into two separate performances.

Exactly. That's why Karen looks a little serious as the audience applauds at the end of 'We've Only Just Begun'. She's waiting for the 'Wah's!' to start up.

Tonight's ED SULLIVAN on the Decades channel had Carpenters at the start of the show. In this edit tonight, they started with "Close To You" which was edited to skip a chunk of the middle, jumping instead to the key change. Then it segued into "We've Only Just Begun" and they did a fade out as the audience was applauding the second song.

It was also cropped to a fake widescreen image so that at the start, Karen's hair on the top of her head was cut off.

Back
Top Bottom