The girl from Ipanema and Sergio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqua do Brasil

Dear Forum Members,

Although Sergio recorded an instrumental version his ‘THE SWINGER FROM RIO’ Atlantic album and Sergio and Cy. performed this famous Bossa Nova song over the years at concerts and recorded on a live recording (Sergio Mendes and Brasil 77 Live at The Greek Theatre, from 1973) the song appeared never on an Brasil 66 Album.
Maybe due to the fact that the definitive version already exists; the Stan Getz/ João Gilberto Album (released in 1963) with Astrud Gilberto on vocals a US hit in 1966.
I always liked the performances live with Sergio and Cy. especially the unison keyboard/whistle interlude sung by Sergio in Portugese and the girls followed in English and the song was linked as a medley with that other Jobim juwel ‘THE WATERS OF MARCH‘.
My favourite performances were the ones with the groovy guitar by Oscar Castro Neves, and the duets between Carol Rogers and Gracinha Leporace in half on half sung in English and Portugese. At one ocassion at The NORTH SEA JAZZ FESTIVAL in 1996 I saw and heard MARIETTA WATERS sung the Portugese parts although Gracinha was present at the same concert.

The girl from Ipanema, it looks like a simple tune but I can tell you, very hard to perform what phrasing and timing is concerned, it was hard studying this song on my vibraphone and my marimba. Jobim is known to use all the notes in the scale, for example his song ‘WAVE’, the late HENRY MANCINI once said ‘The notes go all over the place, but they go so beautifully over the place’
The girl from Ipanema, one of the most played and performed song in the music recording history, over more than 400 recorded covers, a classic in every sense of the word!

Garota de Ipanema is a classic all the way across the board -- agreed. As for Sergio, it made a nice concert offering. Something associated with Brasil without having been recorded by the group -- another dimension as it were -- the ability to show Sergio and the band in a different light.

I also like the whistling effect heard on the live album, but really like how the girls and Sergio seem to break into gentle laughter as the song ends...sensational!

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom