The "House of Goofus" Site is Closing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OceanKing

I visited the "House of Goofus" site over the weekend, and there's an announcement there that the site will be shutting down September 30. :cry: So make your hits there while you can.

What's going on? First Ran's site, now Donald's. We Carpenters fans can't catch a break.

I suspect Harry is sending his goons out to cut down on the competition. :wink:

That is a great site and it will be missed. I am glad that I was one of his visitors.

Craig

OceanKing said:
I visited the "House of Goofus" site over the weekend, and there's an announcement there that the site will be shutting down September 30. :cry: So make your hits there while you can.

I'll admit that's one I've never heard of! (Quite an unusual name, to say the least! Sounds more like something you'd find at an amusement park. :wink: ) It makes me wonder why a lot of sites like this are shutting down.

OceanKing said:
What's going on? First Ran's site, now Donald's. We Carpenters fans can't catch a break.

Well, we're doing what we can here to give all the new Carpenters members something to hang around for. Good thing is, I started up my first site in 1995, from which this one grew, so we're not going anywhere! :cool:

OceanKing said:
I suspect Harry is sending his goons out to cut down on the competition. :wink:

Y'know, now that you mention it, he did say he'd be out of town until today... :confused: Interesting...veddy interesting...

-= N =-

:wink:

The reason that Donald is closing "The House of Goofus" is financial. For the last several years, Apple gave free web space to Macintosh owners on mac.com. As of October 1, they are going to start charging a monthly fee for the space, the amount of the fee is directly related to the space used. Since Donald has so many sound and video files on his site, the amount he would be charged is enormous. He has said that he simply can't afford to pay for web space, and he hasn't been able to find a suitable free service (the few that still exist don't offer enough space), so he has no choice but to close the site.

I'm really going to miss it!

Murray

Y'know, after digging a little and finding where it was hosted, I remembered that mac.com's free e-mail service was being discontinued. Only makes sense. Just about everything free on the internet is going away--not a day goes by that I find out yet another free service has closed up shop or started charging for services.

(My current peeve is the http://www.classmates.com website--when I signed up several years ago, there were only a couple of features not available to free members. Now, you can barely click on *anything* without them begging for money. What do they think they are, PBS?? :confused: That was reason enough for me to start an alumni website for our school...no charge. :D )

There are some decent hosting companies that have a fair amount of space, and it's not all that expensive. But none that I know of are going to allow copyrighted material to be made available for download (without the proper licensing)...especially in this anti-piracy maneuvering that the RIAA is cramming down everyone's throat.

Worst case? Sign up for a couple dozen Geocities accounts. :confused:

-= N =-

Checkout the interesting tracks on the House of Goofus site before it closes. Some are worth a listen, and he has a lot of the original songs that Richard and Karen covered (Somebody's Been Lyin, Touch Me..., etc)
Steve

Sad that another Carpenters site is closing down :sad:

Soon many other sites will be forced to close due to high costs and increased fees :shock:

Read this week that some Record Giants are backing Artists internet sites with extras to bring more revenue from the long term Fans , where will it all end up with more profits for the huge Record Giants :sad:

Peter...awaiting more money schemes.....

PJ: record label involvement can be a double-edged sword. A good site about an artist or even an entire record label can do wonders for public relations. Many fans feel closer to a website that is not directly tied to a record label, and these separate sites tend to cover an artist's entire career--a complete discography, message board, tour itinerary, history and biographies, etc. If you've ever seen some artists, they have an "official" page at the record label, but you see the label's branding all over the place, and the label only wants to feature the current record. Those artists that are lucky enough have separate websites. And any financial input from a label would be appreciated, and very tempting to grab while it's available.

However, once a label starts pumping money into an artist's site, one gets the feeling that the label may soon start dictating the content of the website. :mad: In my case (since I do have a few "official" artist sites), I'd probably treat the label as an advertiser. In other words, they would be able to send along any advertising or promotional text that I'd place on the site for a fee...and yet, that would be the extent of their involvement. And this would be worded clearly enough that they know that the artist has the final say in what goes onto the site--not the label, not "management", not anyone else who only wants to push the "latest and greatest" release by an artist. If any visitor wanted to find out the name of some obscure B-side recorded by the artist back in 1984, I would want that website to list it for me; many "label" sites don't even give you anything more than the newest CD's track listing, and the standard promotional sheet that goes out with each promo copy of a CD. Any true fan will be disappointed, and won't visit the site again in the future.

From my position, I'd just like to grab the money an RUN with it. :D

-= N =-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom