• Guest, preorder your copy of the upcoming Herb Alpert Is... box set. Click for CD version or Vinyl version. Release date is October 2, 2020, subject to change.

"The Lonely Bull" Pressing Question

reechie

I've just acquired a sealed, apparently vintage stereo copy of "The Lonely Bull" LP, and I'm trying to identify approximately when it was pressed, without actually opening it (No need, as I have others to play). In comparing it to an opened copy from around 1965 (based on the albums shown on the inner sleeve), the main differences I detect are that the sealed copy has a noticeably clearer and more natural color cover photo, and on the back cover, a small number "4" in the lower right hand corner that doesn't appear on the '65 copy. Looking through the versions listed on Discogs, the only version I can find with the "4" on the cover is this one:
Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass - The Lonely Bull

If I'm not misreading it, this would make it an early copy. Does anyone know what that "4" indicates?

Mike Blakesley

Staff member
I can think of a few things that might make an older, unsealed copy appear less clear and sharp than a sealed copy -- fading (from either sunlight or UV light from other sources), scuffing, or just a different press run. The two examples could be from the same factory on the same day and look totally different after 50+ years, given their storage circumstances.

I have no idea about the little "4" on the back. Maybe it is an indicator of where it was printed, or the press operator. I don't have a TLB vinyl anymore to compare, unfortunately. But somebody on here is bound to chime in.

Steve Sidoruk

Founder, A&M Fan Net
Staff member
If I'm not misreading it, this would make it an early copy. Does anyone know what that "4" indicates?
It is a 4th pressing. But no outward way of knowing what the pressing runs were or when they were pressed. Also look at the number - the first stereo pressings of THE LONELY BULL were 101S. Later the number was SP 4101 (which is a version I also have with a 4 on the back cover). It later became SP 3101 when it moved to the Mid-Line (re-issue) series.

A&M used the prefix LP for monaural (with three digits following) and SP for stereo, initially followed by three digits, but a few albums in, they also put a 4 after the SP, for example BAJA MARIMBA BAND RIDES AGAIN (1965) mono was LP 109, stereo was SP 4109. Another thing to look for is the trademark symbol on the A&M logo - the 1st album to have it was Sergio's LOOK AROUND (SP 4137) in 1967.

So I would approximate that the 4th pressing was at least 1965, maybe a bit later.

reechie

Thanks, that actually gives me a lot of info. This one appears to indeed be a 1001S (# in lower left hand corner of the cover.). I see no SP 4 or 3103 anywhere on the cover. I suspected the "4" was a pressing number, thanks for confirming that. Needs more investigating, but this gives me some more clues to work with.

Top Bottom