The most important woman in A&M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yazmin_Salinas

As you know, today is International Women's Day, and I want you to tell who the most important woman in A&M is, in your opinion.

For example, in my opinion, the most important women in A&M have been: Karen Carpenter, Carole King, Janet Jackson... and Lani Hall, of course.

You can give me, the following A&M Female Artists and their "Essential Works"... (In No Particular Order...)

1. Robin Wilson Ain't That Somethin'

2. Joanne Vent The Black & White of It Is The Blues

3. Rita Coolidge The Lady's Not For Sale

4. Tamiko Jones I'll Be Anything For You

5. Judith Durham A Gift Of Song

6. Claudine Longet Colors

7. Liza Minnelli Liza Minnelli

8. Gayle Caldwell Celebration of Life

9. Elkie Brooks Rich Man's Woman

10. Barbara Keith Free The People / Rainmaker

11. Sharon Cash Let Me Be The One / Heidy High

12. Karen Bryant Love Me Not Tomorrow / Morning I'll Be Moving On

Thank you, very much, Yazmin_Salinas for recognizing this Vrey Day... :cheers:

(I didn't know it exists...!!!) :laugh:

Dave

I'd say the most important woman at A&M would have to be Tillie Alpert...without her, Herb wouldn't exist...

Dan

Dan:
Yep...Tillie would be #1. Jerry's mom would be tied with her. After that, though, my vote is for Jan Basham.

JanBasham.jpg

Jan Basham did promotion for A&M....one of only a handful of women in that field when she started in the 60s. Her professionalism, personality, and perseverance got a lot of A&M records on a lot of radio stations around the country....from Herb Alpert, Sergio Mendes and The Sandpipers through Nazareth and Peter Frampton. Jan made you want to take a chance on a record...and was one of the best at sharing the fun she was having working for A&M with you.

Jan died of cancer in 2004. One of her stock lines was "When I go, bury me with a cigarette in one hand and a Dr. Pepper in the other." Her family did just that.

---Michael Hagerty

From the earliest days at A&M, we should mention Jolene Burton. Chuck Casell, author, interviewing Jerry Moss in the 10th Anniversary book recalls:

They both realized then that they had to move out of the garage and also, they needed someone to help them. Jerry reflects: "For me to do the billing was now getting ridiculous. Every night I spent poring over the credits." Except for one night: "I was at The La Brea Inn, and happened to say that we were going to need a girl pretty soon. Jolene Burton was there and overheard this. Jolene was one of the top girls at Liberty at the time, and I knew her because I used to go over there. This was 1962 and she was making $150 a week, which was big dollars. She'd been in the record business 5 years already.

"So she called me the next day and said, 'I heard you mention that you were looking for a girl. I'd like to be the girl!

I said, 'Well, I don't think we can afford you.'

She said, ‘You really don't know that.'

I said, 'Well, we can afford to pay $100 a week.'

She said, ‘I'll take it. Because when I started with Liberty Records they didn't start much bigger than this, and I could use the excitement. Besides, I think you guys are going to be around for a long time, and I'll save you money. I know how to order records, merchandise, paper, how to bill, I know all those things. I'm a bookkeeper, secretary.’

I just said, ‘Terrific.’”

Harry

Yep...Tillie would be #1. Jerry's mom would be tied with her.

What about Tillie's mom? And Jerry's mom's mom?

I think the most important woman anywhere, anytime, is Mom. Without her, we'd all be nowhere.

Harry said:
From the earliest days at A&M, we should mention Jolene Burton.

I agree 100%! I remember in an early interview both Herb and Jerry said that Jolene was the only indispensable member of A&M. She was the glue that held that company together.

Capt. Bacardi

I would say Herb's grandma, otherwise his mom would not have been born. That would have been a tragedy for A&M and we would not have this forum and nothing to talk about :wink:

Let's lock this Post since I've got the ultimate answer :nut:

As a fan of her works, I would have to say Joan Armatrading gets very little recognition for her string of lps on AM from 74 to 91 or so. :sad: Just my opinion of course.:cool: jww

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom