The Now Spinning/Recent Purchases Thread

I've been stuck on an old album that I've had for years, recently re-discovered, and recently purchased a CD issue of from 2000. It's The 5th Dimension's second album The Magic Garden. I acquired the old LP from a radio station, I suppose - I don't recall buying it, and it's been sitting on my record shelf all these years. About a year or so ago (it happened here in Florida, so I know it's no longer ago than that), I stumbled upon something about the album on the web, wondered if I had it, and came across the fact that I DID have it, under it's re-issue name of The Worst That Could Happen. So I gave it a spin on the turntable and was quite taken with all of the Jim Webb tunes and the little instrumental pieces used to connect the songs. Plus I marveled at the fact that it turns out to be a concept album, with a definite story to tell. I sort of forgot about it for awhile, and recently the subject came up again, and I realized I needed and wanted an upgrade. The old record was fairly scratched in places, making for some unwanted noise, so I sought out a CD. It turns out that it's been released a few times on CD starting around 2000. Arista aquired the Buddha name and issued a remastered CD in 2000, but it went quickly out of print. Later in the 2000's, Collector's Choice got hold of a bunch of 5th Dimension titles and issued two-fers. Up, Up, and Away was paired with The Magic Garden as the two were the first two chronologically, and THAT has gone out-of-print. The Japanese have done an expensive mini-LP of the title. And now our friends at Rev-Ola have gotten the rights to it recently and have a current issue of the album available. My first impression was that I'd get the current issue from Rev-Ola, but I learned that they'd juggled the song order a little bit - and it almost made sense that they did. At the end of side one of the record, the song "Ticket To Ride", the Beatles song, was apparently a required leftover track from an older set of Soul City sessions, and needed to be placed on this second album. Since the main thrust of The Magic Garden is a song-cycle all composed by Jim Webb, a lot of Webb purists criticisms have managed to get Rev-Ola to remove "Ticket To Ride" from the main running order and tack it onto the end. I thought long and hard about it, and decided that I liked "Ticket To Ride" right where it had always been, so I sought out an older copy of the Buddha remaster from 2000. I'm more convinced than ever that "Ticket To Ride" fits the theme of the album perfectly, even if it's a bit out of the musical mold of the rest of the album. I got the CD in the mail a couple of weeks ago and have been spinning it nearly non-stop - on the computer, on my MP3 player, and in the car. I love the Jim Webb compositions and Bones Howe's arrangements and this album is just a classic in my book. Lightweight pop for sure, but a classic nonetheless. One can surely hear the genesis of Webb's follow-up masterpiece of "MacArthur Park". I always loved that one too. The Magic Garden tells the story of a guy in love with a girl ("Susan"); he worships the ground she walks on and she later gives him a bad time, leaves him, marries someone else, and he resigns himself to living a blithely happy life in the gutter ("Paper Cup"). I'm not usually one to pay much attention to lyrics, but this one's really grabbed me.
1038730.jpg
Harry NP: The Magic Garden - 5th Dimension

Harry, I just saw this post and I agree that The Magic Garden is a fantastic album. Although the fans that bought Up Up and Away did not take to this, and that is a real mystery, it is my personal favorite. I always thought that Ticket to Ride was a real misfit but it was leftover from the first sessions and it fits with the theme but not so much musically. The real treasures of this album are Billy's solos on The Worst That Could Happen and Requiem820:Latham and then The Girl's Song where Marilyn and Florence truly shine. I listen to this more than any of the albums and I have all the lps from Up through Earthbound except for Reflections on Bell and Anthology on United Artists. Anthology was never in the stores here and I saw it at a used record store many years ago I did not have the cash to purchase it at the time as it was priced a bit too high for me. I have all the cd releases except for Soul and Inspiration.

The 5th Dimension's "Up Up And Away" (album from 1967) I heard when I was a little baby when I was 4, 5 or 6 years old (don't remember though). My older brother had the "Mono" album version. The songs "California My Way" & "Pattern People" are my favorites!!

monk-1.jpg

Thelonious Monk. Monk may be the single most influential jazz pianist since the age of bop (1940s). His contributions to the art form as a songwriter and soloist could never be overstated: he burst upon the scene in the 1940s with an unmatched idiosyncratic approach to melody harmony and rhythm, which spearheaded the direction of both composition and soloing within the art form well into the 1960s.

8PM EST, tonight (Friday 2/18), the Wayne State Faculty Nonet is playing a gig that will be streamed on YouTube. It can also be replayed at any time after the live streaming event.

1645226750035.png

I went to high school with one of the members, but I haven't heard him play since then. Even in his teens, he played at a professional level. It should be interesting!

I was at the thrift store today and made a good score on some early A&M lp's. Lonely Bull in mono, The More I See You in mono, Child Of Clay in stereo, Fowl Play in stereo and Crystal Illusions with a cover in excellent condition. I could not pass these up. All 5 were priced total of less than $9.00. They will all be getting a spin on the turntable this weekend.

Last edited:
Been playing this a few times this week; Lyle passed two years ago in February. Still a stunning piece of work.

kuh-1.jpg

Steve Kuhn. One aspect of '60s music that is enticing is the amount of shear musical variety. For instance, compare the state of pop music in 1960-62 to that of 1968-70: at its extreme, to go from Percy Faith to Led Zeppelin -- as consistent, viable mainstream Top-40 sellers -- is quite the music trek! For his place in the '60s, Kuhn's music is fascinating and rewarding. Like the finest pianists of the progressive '60s, he valued both a traditional, beautiful melody as well as experimental tonal excursions and to that end was quite adept at both targeting Errol Garner and Cecil Taylor. In short: yet another highly regarded, artistic pianist.

In honor of Mardi Gras and Fat Tuesday, I got out my Preservation Hall Jazz Band Best Of cd this morning. Dixieland Jazz at it’s finest. Most of the musicians were/ are over 75 years old. At least they were when I saw them perform. The tuba player gave me a pin in the shape of a the tuba with their name on it, after I told him we played their music in our store, back around 1985. On my bucket list of places to visit when I make it to New Orleans someday.

It's (primary) Election Day here in Texas, so I will be working late... But I plan to play me some Professor Longhair when i get back in my car for Fat Tuesday! A&M connection? He has some albums on Dancing Cat Records, a Windham Hill imprint and Windham Hill was distrbuted by A&M back in the day!

--Mr Bill

Phat Tuesday here--I'm playing Zapp. 🤣 Mentioned the vocoder in another thread and had to give this one a spin. Big local hit, as were many Zapp tracks ("Dance Floor," "Doo Wah Ditty," "I Can Make You Dance," "Playin' Kinda Ruff" and "More Bounce to the Ounce." Roger Troutman also had solo albums, but they sounded essentially the same (and just as good).

Note about the track above--I have yet to own an amplifier, subwoofer, etc. that can play the bass drum from this without clipping. Even at medium volume (not uncomfortable), it taxes any big amplifier I've thrown at it. Wild guess, it would need over a kilowatt to do it justice.

This thing needs a remaster. I know Van Gelder's recordings sometimes have that murky quality, but this one sounds like it was made from a lesser backup master tape or something, I don't know. Jody sure could Grind with a little more clarity here, I'm thinking.

1646235621738.png

I have a CD version ripped to the server, and I'm streaming the Qobuz version right now, which sounds identical.

Jody sure could Grind with a little more clarity here, I'm thinking.
And if the next album is any indication, that Soul Sister could be more clearly Serenaded. That one's similar. It must just be the Blue Note sound from that period in time. Or just two unfortunate digital releases made from substandard masters.

Anyhoo and how,

After an afternoon of questionable choices:

1646259833012.png

The band is getting ready to go out touring this year. Fingers crossed they make it to my part of the world (even though they are only about 4-5 hours away).

@Mr Bill, I've posted this one before I think, but upon listening to this album some more, I'm thinking it is something that would happen if you crossed The Cramps with some Delta blues and Eric Burdon's work in The Animals, perhaps with a touch of psychobilly (which was also partially spawned by The Cramps). I hear it more in "The Wolf" (the second video below) which is a little closer to rockabilly.

I was reading about Louis Prima and decided to check if Sam Butera & The Witnesses had any albums under their own name. I found two on Capitol--The Continental Twist (1962), and Big Horn (1958).

1646874332479.png

1646874352364.png

The former, naturally for 1962, has a lot of "twist" songs on it, and features vocals, with Butera taking an occasional tenor solo. Even the Leiber/Stoller song "Kansas City" and the Juan Tizol Latino classic "Perdido" get the twist treatment. There are also a handful composed by Prima and Butera. And a sped-up version of J.P. Richardson's "Chantilly Lace" that copies the vocal antics of the original. "But.....but....."

The latter seems to be entirely instrumental. Prima had hired Butera and his band from New Orleans when he needed a new backing band out in Vegas. This album is mostly a collection of standards, done in the rollicking style of The Witnesses.

I may grab these on vinyl if I can find some clean copies of them. If not, I'll pick up the digital copies from Qobuz. They are both official Capitol releases, so, no grey-market versions from the EU.

I've been going through my digital library on my computer and on the digital only side I recently acquired several surprises from the KPM 1000 series one of them is an album called Music of the 30s originally released in 1977 it is a big band instrumental style set and the second half Songs 7 to 12 I remember hearing in the 80s being used on American Movie Classics as pre sign on music (or Test Pattern music) but I remember loving the music but until recently I couldn't track it down like much of the production library music of the period among my favorite songs are "In The Swing" Waltzing in Dreamland .Swinging it up .Starlight Serenade and others it takes me back to my 19-20 year old days ahead Sweet memories indeed

piano-1.jpg

Phineas Newborn Jr. Often criticized as "too technical", Phineas' name is infrequently mentioned when discussing notable pianists. His virtuosic approach worked better for ensembles no larger than the classic jazz trio. Like Monk, Evans, and Taylor, he is immediately identifiable, yet his approach to jazz never met with solid or consistent acclaim. Recurring emotional and physical issues unfortunately limited his career. I have three of his early/mid-'60s trio dates. Definitely worthy of a solid follow-up as Phineas is one of the jazz world's most underappreciated artists.

Got Tears For Fears "The Tipping Point" & NOT 1 but 2 Bryan Adams latest "Pretty Woman: The Musical" & "So Happy It Hurts" on Apple iTunes.

My Saturday routine when I head to Sam's Club at 8 am is to start with The Lightning Seeds' cuts "All I Want" and "Pure"(both from Cloud Cuckooland) followed by Herb and the TJB's Summertime, You Smile -- the Song Begins, Coney Island or The Buzzcocks' A Different Kind of Tension. Pretty much depends on my mood. Today it was Summertime. Last night when I had to go get my step-grandson from work it was Buzzcocks...

--Mr. Bill

Back
Top Bottom