The Now Spinning/Recent Purchases Thread

The Nancy & Lee duet "Summer Wine" is the edited version not the complete version.
That is true. Some Velvet Morning is also faded a bit early.
This is how the original album was done back in 1968. It is a remastering of the original release.
Fairytales and Fantasies had the longer versions. I never knew of the longer Summer Wine until before I bought the Fairytales release.
I heard it on an oldies radio special when they would play deep cuts from the oldies files.

Aside from a track with Dionne Warwick ("On My Way"), this Bacharach-penned soundtrack to the film Isn't She Great is nearly-forgettable background music. It has his signature all over it, and being a 1999 release it has a more modern sound than his 70s albums. One listen was enough for me, although in all fairness, it's background music from a non-musical film.

1665169074930.png

Aside from a track with Dionne Warwick ("On My Way"), this Bacharach-penned soundtrack to the film Isn't She Great is nearly-forgettable background music. It has his signature all over it, and being a 1999 release it has a more modern sound than his 70s albums. One listen was enough for me, although in all fairness, it's background music from a non-musical film.

1665169074930.png
I have never even heard of this movie!

I've been enjoying the Mosaic Gerald Wilson box set. Interesting lineup of musicians here in this photo of a gig at Shelly's Manne-Hole. Should be a couple of familiar faces in here (click/tap to enlarge).

1665188545535.png

Tracks from this album are playing now (which are included in the box set):

1665188587639.png

And that tall trombone player that some may recognize played on the Portraits album, recording with Wilson's band on Dec. 2, 1963 and Jan. 8, 1964.

1665188918510.png

1665189091884.png

1665169074930.png
I actually have this on CD. It was sent to me as an extra by a fellow member years ago, but truthfully I've never listened to it. As you said, the Dionne Warwick song is decent. The rest is mostly film-underscore. The back cover has a SPARS code of DDD and a copyright of 1999. It's on Decca.

The track "Sexual Me, Sexual You" has a rather 'I-want-to-be-'The Look Of Love'-vibe to it, doesn't it?

Last edited:
(Formal Western Art Music Survey, 1750-1950: Week LV -- Delius)

CL-1.jpg

JA-1.jpg

Sun Ra. Oh, my! What can be written about Ra? Like Monk, Albert Ayler, Eric Dolphy, Ornette Coleman, and other singularly unique artists, Ra is a point source for a sudden, memorable change to the artistic landscape of jazz. His ardent fans would probably worship every note committed to tape; however, trying to be a bit more objective, I'd say that while his LPs are always fascinating and artistically rewarding as sincere experimental excursions, they can be patchy at times -- and, unfortunately the recording quality varies widely (particularly on the El Saturn releases). Nevertheless, I've yet to listen to a Ra LP from the '50s/'60s that wasn't a captivating sonic excursion.

New arrival (both albums on a two-fer CD):

1665433779339.png

That can't be The Plas! 🤣

1665433855672.png

Was it the blues, or maybe the booze, that made this lady snooze? 😴

Well, OK, the first album is pretty good, and features Plas on the bari sax on a couple of tunes, which in his hands still has the same throaty sound as his tenor that we all know. In typical Capitol fashion, the tunes average about three minutes each. And while there are no credits other than pianist Paul Smith, the rhythm section features guitar, vibraphone and organ. (We can only guess it's similar to his second album, or a variety of popular West Coast jazz musicians of the era.)

The second album finds Plas in the mood for the blues, and playing only his trademark tenor sound over the proceedings. This date features strings with arrangements by Gerald Wilson and René Hall, with a rhythm section of Plas's brother Ray on piano, Red Callender on bass, Earl Palmer on drums, Ernie Freeman on organ (Hammond, not spleen or pancreas), and either René Hall or Bill Pitman on guitar.

This rolled around on Salsa Warriors (an Internet radio channel):

They've been featuring some tracks recently by Don Perrignon y La Puertorriqueña, but this was the first time I've heard it.

I guess this is "free jazz" (as opposed to "jazz I didn't pay for")? Maybe not free jazz, but more along the lines of what Mingus was doing back in the day.

Accidental tap in Roon Player. Was looking up Horace Silver and did my fat-fingered salute and tapped the wrong one. (You'd think I would have tapped Horace Ott or Horace Parlan, but noooooo....)

The album above is apparently from 1969 and in some circles is considered a lost classic.

Yeah...playing this one on Qobuz is just fine. And if I find I end up liking it, I can always grab the download...

...and a Tito Puente tribute to follow. 😁 Neighbors must think I'm Latino since I've been playing either my Pandora salsa/mambo station, Salsa Warriors, or something from my own salsa library over the system in the garage.

...and a Tito Puente tribute to follow. 😁 Neighbors must think I'm Latino since I've been playing either my Pandora salsa/mambo station, Salsa Warriors, or something from my own salsa library over the system in the garage.
Latin Flavored music is Contagious in a good way I speak from personal experience

jaz-1.jpg

McCoy Tyner. If I had to select "the consummate" 1960s post-bop pianist, it would be McCoy. Conjecture tells me the muse that moves the likes of Bill Evans, Keith Jarrett, Duke Pearson, and Taylor Cecil are all captured in his music and technique. Given he was Coltrane's pianist for about 5 years (and choosing to leave when Trane's music became too atonal) indicates his ability to sustain a group within the confines of a unique soloist who could play non-stop and on-fire for extended periods. McCoy's Blue Notes, 1967-70, are fiercely melodic and reveal an artist who captured the singular essence of Trane albeit on his own artistic terms. All his '60s solo LPs are solid. The two above are favourites from 1967 and 1968.

Ha! My neighbors have given up on me: last weekend belting out of my garage were: Lou Rawls, The Johnny Mann Singers, Moroccan folk music and Buck Owens.
It's even stranger when I will flip from Latin over to something like Isaac Hayes or Quincy Jones. I haven't yet subjected them to any Balkan rock like Magnifico. They already know I'm mentally challenged, so this is no stretch. 🤣

Last edited:
Paul Desmond this morning while working:

1666019377029.png

Easy Living was a compilation album of unused tracks from prior RCA albums that Desmond recorded with Jim Hall. But regardless, it still works nicely as an album.

There were two digital versions of this album. The version with 11 tracks adds only "Rude Old Man" as a bonus track, along with alternate takes of two other tracks from the album. The 10-track version is the better of the two, as it adds "Rude Old Man" and "All Through The Night," both of which did not appear on the original album (as opposed to using alternate takes).

Next is Take Ten, Bossa Antigua, and Glad To Be Unhappy.

Spinning this one:

1666311543683.png

Paich's first solo recording after nearly 50 years in the music industry. It's an EP-length release with six tracks plus an introductory instrumental track.

It's interesting to see all the credits. He of course has assistance from his fellow Toto bandmates Steve Lukather and Joseph Williams, the latter also co-composing and producing the album with Paich. Guest artists include Brian Eno, Michael McDonald, Ray Parker Jr., Don Felder and Steve Jordan, along with Gregg Bissonette, Lenny Castro, Nathan East, Davey Johstone, and numerous others, including some family members. Bernie Grundman mastered the recording, and it was a surprise to see the great Bob Clearmountain doing mixing chores on this record.

While Steve Porcaro doesn't make an appearance (his brothers Jeff and Mike passed, and all were sons of west coast percussionist Joe Porcaro), Paich, of course, is the son of the legendary Marty Paich, and Joseph Williams the son of some guy who wrote scores for Star Wars and a bazillion other films (John Williams). I saw another familiar name--James Tormé, son of some crooner named Mel Tormé. 😉 It's like a dynasty of musical families...

Tickets for the Journey concert in April go on sale here tomorrow. Toto is the opening act. Should be a great show. Amazing musical talent there.

Oxymore, the new long awaited album by Jean-Michel Jarre. The title is a play on the title of his first record Oxygene. He is one of the pioneers of electronic music, so not for everyone’s taste. That being said, it is the first commercial release in a new format called 3D Binaural. An immersive multichannel sound. It’s composed, mixed, and produced in a 360 degree sound best listened to with headphones. I bet it’s even better in hi def downloads. I’ve been a fan of his work since the beginning of his career. Anyway it’s definitely worth checking out.

The digital download from Apple says Dolby Atmos, Lossless Digital Download. It sounds amazing in my wires noise canceling Bose earbuds. Lots of continuous surround with great base. The whole mix is incredible.

Oxymore, the new long awaited album by Jean-Michel Jarre. The title is a play on the title of his first record Oxygene. He is one of the pioneers of electronic music, so not for everyone’s taste. That being said, it is the first commercial release in a new format called 3D Binaural. An immersive multichannel sound. It’s composed, mixed, and produced in a 360 degree sound best listened to with headphones. I bet it’s even better in hi def downloads. I’ve been a fan of his work since the beginning of his career. Anyway it’s definitely worth checking out.
I've had some binaural recordings in the past (it's an old technology, dating back decades), and have even made a couple myself of environmental sounds. It can be quite an experience (especially with environmental/nature sounds--it does take you right outdoors when listening) but, for someone like me who uses headphones maybe once every three years, and earbuds for less than an hour at a time, the idea is lost on me.

But I've been into electronic music since the days of Tomita and Kraftwerk so yeah, I'll have to check this out. 😁

I have been too. Also including Walter/Wendy Carols, Goblin, Tangerine Dream, and Kitaro too. I’ve seen the last 2 in concert at the now extinct Universal Amphitheater. My favorite venue. All pioneers of electronic music, which gave wave to Euro-disco, Giorgio Moroder, and Nu wave 2 finger bands. Lol. Anyway it made the 70’s and 80’s more fun.

I don’t use headphones much either. Not too good for my ears, but this album is a best listened to this way, to get the whole effect of his work.

For that easy Sunday feeling, revisiting this one... Heard it in 2000, got me the CD-single and played it quite a bit back then :)

Greg :phones: (yes, headphones necessary here, coz noisy neighbors 🙃)

Back
Top Bottom