The Now Spinning/Recent Purchases Thread

The GAP Band used to have some of the best funk jams on the radio, but this one is kind of a nice "quiet storm" tune from their Gap Band III record:

Been meaning to make up a playlist of similar tunes.

I love The Gap Band's hit " You Dropped a Bomb on me". Ironically it was out and on the radio at a time I was betrayed by people I was supposed to trust the song really was one of those "Hit the Nail On The Head" type songs

I love The Gap Band's hit " You Dropped a Bomb on me". Ironically it was out and on the radio at a time I was betrayed by people I was supposed to trust the song really was one of those "Hit the Nail On The Head" type songs
I don't have any experiences like that with the song :wink: , but this one received a lot of club play around here. There is a 13 minute 12" single of the track that DJs would spin, and more than a couple of times, we had left the club and could still hear that bomb whistle a few blocks away as we were walking to the car. :laugh:

I don't have any experiences like that with the song :wink: , but this one received a lot of club play around here. There is a 13 minute 12" single of the track that DJs would spin, and more than a couple of times, we had left the club and could still hear that bomb whistle a few blocks away as we were walking to the car. :laugh:
You were lucky but I still like the song In Spite of the experiences connected to it it was truly a loud thumper of a song that really cooked it was everywhere where I lived too it had a great sound and rhythm and of course The sound effects .

You were lucky but I still like the song In Spite of the experiences connected to it it was truly a loud thumper of a song that really cooked it was everywhere where I lived too it had a great sound and rhythm and of course The sound effects .
The Gap Band fortunately had a lot of airplay here as well. Plenty of radio hits. "Early In The Morning," "Outstanding," "Party Train," "Burn Rubber On Me," "I'm Ready (If You're Ready)," "Humpin'", "You Dropped A Bomb On Me," and probably a few more I'm forgetting about. Some of it sounds fresher today since it hasn't been overplayed like it was back in the day. They also had some nice ballads and down-tempo tunes like the one I posted earlier, and "Season's No Reason To Change."

That also brings to mind Kool & The Gang. Our jazz station used to play their earlier instrumental track "Summer Madness" quite often. Another of my favorites (prior to James "JT" Taylor joining on lead vox) is "Open Sesame." I'm lucky to have The 12" Collection which has the rare 12" extended version.

Listening to former Talking Heads singer David Byrne "Rei Momo" (1989) & his duet with St. Vincent "Love This Giant" from 2012. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Don't be fooled by the CD packaging of David Byrne & St. Vincent "Love This Giant" (from 2012) because it's in plastic wrap!!! You will have to opened it on the top of the CD!!! Matt Clark Sanford, MI

This evening I listened to one of the most epic albums in rock history - Jethro Tull's THICK AS A BRICK! :D

I've loved this album since I was 10 years old... I was a weird kid! :laugh:

David Byrne "Rei Momo" (from 1989) runs 63:42 in CD length while David Byrne & St. Vincent "Love This Giant" (2012) runs 44:25 in length. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Also been listening to George Benson last 5 CD's including "Irreplaceable" (2004) which runs 39:39 in CD length, the duet with the late Al Jarreau (who died on February 12, 2017) "Givin' It Up" (2006) which runs 62:42 in length, "Songs & Stories" (2009) which runs 62:22 in length, "Guitar Man" (2011) runs 43:05 in length & finally "Inspiration: A Tribute To Nat King Cole" (2013) runs 40:52 in length. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

This evening I listened to one of the most epic albums in rock history - Jethro Tull's THICK AS A BRICK! :D

I've loved this album since I was 10 years old... I was a weird kid! :laugh:

I was listening to Gentle Giant's Three Friends at that age. :laugh: Of course back then, I had no clue what I was listening to. In the past several years I sort of rediscovered the album and can appreciate all the intricate parts to it now. I got it as a promo from the studio my cousin worked at (they had thousands of 45s and dozens of LPs the record labels would all send them). It was quite an assortment. Cashman & West, Danyel Gerard, and Honey Cone were the other LPs I can remember at the moment. (Honey Cone had a #1 with "Want Ads" a year or two prior, and they were on the record label Hot Wax founded by Holland-Dozier-Holland after they split with Motown.)

We five .. you were on my mind

Bought it used in Yokohama, Japanese reissue CD from 1997... sounds great!

Beverly Bivens rocks my world!

Mike

Now there's a coincidence. I've been listening to THE RETURN OF WE FIVE (SP 4168). I picked up a use copy of the LP in pretty good shape. I have their first two on CD in that Collectors' Choice two-fer, but never had their third for A&M. Debbie Burgan is no Bev Bivens, but her sound fits the group. Interesting stereo staging on this one with different members placed in slightly different positions on different songs, but the separation is not as drastic as what was done to the Mamas & Papas.

The Dixie Dregs "Ice Cakes" (from 1978 "What If"). This song was played during The Weather Channel back in 1989 till 1991 during the local forecasts. Thought it was Jean Luc Ponty on violin on that song but I was wrong. I do have their "20th Century Masters: The Millinneum Collection" & "Divided We Stand: Best of Arista Years" on CD. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I was in a crazy kitschy nostalgic mood so I took out my CD copy of Chuck Barris and the Hollywood cowboys 2003 album " Confessions of A Dangerous Singer" where members of the old Gong Show Band along with Milton Delugg himself backing I'm Chuckie baby on vocals no doubt an attempt to promote the movie " Confessions of A Dangerous mind" the critics were nasty to him as usual and "Gonged It" but being a diehard fan I couldn't resist buying it when it was first released now that Chuck Barris is No longer with us I'm Glad I have this disc. He had more talents than people gave him credit for IMO

This one has been in rotation for a few weeks now...

upload_2018-8-22_14-3-22.png

The title track (a remake of an old Roy Hamilton track), and "Fever" (a remake of the same tune Peggy Lee made famous) were both dance club hits back in the day, and the remaining tracks are kind of in a seductive groove. It was sort of a comeback album for Isaac Hayes about a decade after his initial success with the Shaft soundtrack and the Hot Buttered Soul album.

Some Herb Alpert 12" mixes. Just finished "3 o'clock Jump", now playing "Fandango (specially mixed version).

Some Herb Alpert 12" mixes. Just finished "3 o'clock Jump", now playing "Fandango (specially mixed version).
I've been listening to my CD EP of 3 O Clock Jump with the album 12 inch and Dub street mix mixes this is one of the very few CDs I own of this kind as it was given to me in the late 80s early 90s It has become one of my prized rarities in my collection

Currently, while a summer shower is falling outside, I've got GENTLE RAIN spinning inside.

R-3287695-1324071532.jpeg.jpg

This was an odd compilation of A&M tracks issued by Capitol, probably for their record club. It's a two-album set with mostly Brasil '66 tracks in an every-other-song rotation, but they're labelled as Brasil '77. It's nice when you're in a Brazilian mood, but don't want *just* Sergio.

Various - Gentle Rain

One of our audio club members brought a Stanley Turrentine LP to the meet back in August: Have You Seen The Rain, on Fantasy. It was reissued on the CD On A Misty Night as a two-fer with another of his albums. It's one of those polarizing albums--it's lush, with strings, very laid back mood. Drives the hardcore jazzers nuts, but a lot of us like it for what it is. :wink:

I went back a few years prior to his CTi catalog and am spinning these two this evening:

upload_2018-9-19_23-23-28.png

upload_2018-9-19_23-23-55.png

Familiar looking album cover style here... :wink:

As I've been ripping my CDs into my laptop megamix I encountered some of older Jazz CDs among them are a couple of later period Dave brubeck albums "Trio Brubeck" which features 2 of his sons and a 1991 recording " When I was very Young" Brubeck always was in top form and I'm thankful to have a wide assortment of Brubeck Classics from the 50s until the 90s along with everything else and better yet having a bonus way to play them on my laptop thanks to the ripper I'm able to preserve my music and I'm happy to say All my Herb Alpert collection is on my laptop along with all my other A&M Goodies and other stuff

Back
Top Bottom