The Now Spinning/Recent Purchases Thread

Discussion in 'A Small Circle of Friends: The Music Forum' started by Rudy, Apr 5, 2011.

1. DeeInKY

DeeInKY Well-Known Member

And now i have the Woody Woodpecker song stuck in my head...:D

Bobberman likes this.
  2. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin Thread Starter

US
    Naturally...

Bobberman and DeeInKY like this.
  3. Rudy

US
    Isaac Hayes, "Out Of The Ghetto" from the album New Horizon. This is the original version, kinda funky. Not the awful version Donald Fagen put out on that stinker of an album Sunken Condos, where it sounds like a bad Holiday Inn cover band of old white men thinking they are hip, as everyone 50 and under hides behind their menus... :rolleyes:

DeeInKY likes this.
  4. DeeInKY

DeeInKY Well-Known Member

Old white guys playing at the Holiday Inn can't be cool? Oh, noes!

Kinda reminds me of some friends of mine who were revamping their musical careers some years ago and ended up playing in the bar of a local bowling alley. You could hear pins crashing between every number. :D

Rudy likes this.
  5. Rudy

US
    Day off, for housecleaning and chores. :sigh:

Trying out Rosie Vela's Zazu, among other things, on a phono stage that just arrived.

upload_2019-1-14_12-43-38.png

Verdict: the phono stage has tired tubes, as expected, so I'm comparing a bunch before making the leap. Two 12AX7s, and one each 5751 and 12AU7. (Do I get new issue Genalex Gold Lions? NOS Mullard military CV-series? NOS RCA clear tops? Decisions, decisions.) I'm also checking options for a step-up transformer, since the ART7 has a very low output.

DeeInKY likes this.
  6. Rudy

US
    The phono stage did sound better after it warmed up for over an hour, but that's still a sign the tubes might be a bit tired, as my preamp is usually good to go in about 15-20 minutes. There is also a hum/oscillation in one of the tubes.

In the meantime, I've been throwing everything at the rig, including the first Brasil 66 album, a few 12" singles (Barry White, Rick James, Gibson Brothers), the Pink Panther soundtrack, and currently the JD McPherson album Let The Good Times Roll.

7. Rudy

US
    Michael Franks day today. Queued up in the playlist:

The Art of Tea
    Sleeping Gypsy
    One Bad Habit
    Passionfruit
    Blue Pacific
    Dragonfly Summer

May switch over to vinyl when I have some free time (for Passionfruit...I don't think I have Blue Pacific on vinyl).

8. Rudy

US
    John Klemmer day...

His first album Involvement, on Cadet Concept, before he got all spacey. This is pretty much all straight-ahead jazz, fresh out of Chicago.

upload_2019-1-23_10-2-17.png

Followed by Touch, one of the more laid back dates. This was one of Mobile Fidelity's first releases, and either the MoFi LP or CD are the go-to versions here:

upload_2019-1-23_10-4-49.png

Finally, a hard rockin' date from his Cadet Concept era, Blowin' Gold:

upload_2019-1-23_10-6-43.png