The Now Spinning/Recent Purchases Thread

I have an "ultimate" collectible from that studio (and Gallery) but I have to find it first...

1588193112069.png

I got this in the same package as the Gallery LP. (I have one other I'll list here later on.)

A bit of a back story behind this. Chic was a concept that Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards had once Nile retired the Big Apple Band name. (Walter Murphy had called his band the Big Apple Band.) A demo of "Everybody Dance" tore up the dance clubs in NYC, before it was completed. Nile and Bernard worked up this single (above) as their first official Chic tune. Somehow they had been signed to Buddah and were planning to get the release out to a dance music convention. Only, Buddah dropped the ball and did not get it pressed in time. But they were still shopping a record deal and because Atlantic promised them delivery of the single prior to the convention in return for signing them, Atlantic got the go-ahead to release it. Because Buddah possessed the original master, this tune and its flip side, the instrumental "Sao Paulo", were second generation dubs that Atlantic released. Atlantic did let Buddah release it concurrently so there would be no lawsuit involved. But the Buddah version is the better sounding of the two.

Savarese was a NYC DJ who did a mix of this song but ultimately, his version was not used. But when Chic was first making a name for themselves, they kept the name on the single, which helped it get a lot more play in the club.

Downloaded on iTunes Barry Goldberg self - titled Atco album from 1974 (with bonus tracks). The songs "I've Got To Use My Imagination" was done by Gladys Knight & The Pips (from 1973 "Imagination") & the song "It's Not The Spotlight" was done by Rod Stewart (from 1975 "Atlantic Crossing") & both songs co written by the late Gerry Goffin. Barry had only 1 song on the Billboard Bubbling Under The Hot 100 Charts with the song "Hole In My Pocket" (from "The Barry Goldberg Reunion") on Buddah in October 1968 peaking at # 103.

For some reason Roon didn't catch the second disc of this set, so I moved some files around and got it all indexed.

1588220630272.png

I bought this due to it having some rare 12" singles. It's mostly jazz/funk recordings. Willie Bobo's "Always There" (a remake of the Ronnie Laws tune) was what drew me to it. The Azymuth "Jazz Carnival" is also one I vaguely remember from my days listening to WJZZ, along with a long cut of Bob James' "Westchester Lady" that they played often. George Duke's "Brazilian Love Affair" makes an appearance here as well.

By the way, your Gallery full album Youtube video still doesn't play.

I finally got ahold of two albums I have been looking forward to. The Winter Consort: Road.

1588382853615.png

This was one of Winter's albums on A&M, and the nucleus of the long-lived group Oregon, as all four founding members play on this record--Ralph Towner, Glen Moore, Collin Walcott and Paul McCandless. They would soon split off to form Oregon, although three of the members would play on the next Winter Consort album Icarus (which is a Ralph Towner composition).

It's interesting to note that this is likely the only A&M album to end up on the moon. The Apollo 15 astronauts took this record with them on their flight, and named two of the moon's craters after two of the tunes on the album--"Icarus" and "Ghost Beads" (from "Fantasy, Fugue & Ghost Beads"). Given the use of acoustic instruments, the music on this album does not sound at all dated. This album is a live recording.

The follow-up album Icarus was released on the Epic label, produced by George Martin (of Beatles fame), who in his autobiography mentioned it was ”the finest record I ever made.” I have that one queued up next. Both albums were prototypes of what would be considered "world music" decades later.

1588383339940.png

I finally got ahold of two albums I have been looking forward to. The Winter Consort: Road.

1588382853615.png

This was one of Winter's albums on A&M, and the nucleus of the long-lived group Oregon, as all four founding members play on this record--Ralph Towner, Glen Moore, Collin Walcott and Paul McCandless. They would soon split off to form Oregon, although three of the members would play on the next Winter Consort album Icarus (which is a Ralph Towner composition).

It's interesting to note that this is likely the only A&M album to end up on the moon. The Apollo 15 astronauts took this record with them on their flight, and named two of the moon's craters after two of the tunes on the album--"Icarus" and "Ghost Beads" (from "Fantasy, Fugue & Ghost Beads"). Given the use of acoustic instruments, the music on this album does not sound at all dated. This album is a live recording.

The follow-up album Icarus was released on the Epic label, produced by George Martin (of Beatles fame), who in his autobiography mentioned it was ”the finest record I ever made.” I have that one queued up next. Both albums were prototypes of what would be considered "world music" decades later.

1588383339940.png
I love Icarus I played that song on my show regularly I also played regularly songs from Paul Winter's later albums "Earth Voice of the planet" such as "As The Earth Spins" and "Appalachian Morning" and from another album a song called "Love Swim" these songs really stuck with me over the years sadly I never owned any of his A&M works and I long ago gave up on ever seeing them in any digital form and its sad.

David Baerwald "Triage" (from 1992 on iTunes for $ 5.99) (Member of David & David "Welcome To The Boomtown" 1986 fame) with this song "The Waiter" which contains an instrumental sample part of the Madonna 1990 song "Vogue"!!

Also David Baerwald "Bedtime Stories" (from 1990) is a great CD which Joni Mitchell guests on 1 song!! I do NOT have his last studio one which came out in 2002 on the Lost Highway label.

It is a treat hearing this again:

1588900174720.png

This was the debut album by the jazz/funk trio Pieces of a Dream, and I believe they were still teenagers when this was first released in 1981. This record, and their next two, were produced by Grover Washington Jr. for Elektra. The track "Warm Weather" takes me back to the days of listening to WJZZ for hours upon hours during the evenings when I wasn't spinning records.

Two of the three members are still together in the group, and they are coming up on the 40th anniversary of releasing this album.

It is a treat hearing this again:

1588900174720.png

This was the debut album by the jazz/funk trio Pieces of a Dream, and I believe they were still teenagers when this was first released in 1981. This record, and their next two, were produced by Grover Washington Jr. for Elektra. The track "Warm Weather" takes me back to the days of listening to WJZZ for hours upon hours during the evenings when I wasn't spinning records.

Two of the three members are still together in the group, and they are coming up on the 40th anniversary of releasing this album.

I played this group many times over the years " Pieces of a Dream" in my opinion were among the Real Smooth jazz acts Long before the term was coined

I played this group many times over the years " Pieces of a Dream" in my opinion were among the Real Smooth jazz acts Long before the term was coined
I always liked their mix of styles and the versatility. "All About Love" from this album was a jazz trio cover of the Earth Wind & Fire track, and it brings to mind the Ramsey Lewis Trio. "Warm Weather" was similar to other light funk/jazz/R&B tunes back in the day, so it was one I warmed to rather quickly since they played it on WJZZ often. I never did follow them past their second record, but need to get caught up one of these days.

Despite all the instruments that Ralph Towner plays, this (Anthem) is a solo acoustic guitar record, and it is quite nice. His playing is multi-layered with a lot of twists and turns, yet it is not in any way alienating. It is definitely a high point in his catalog.

1588980224478.png

It seems that iTunes are not going to reissue Tim Weisburg 1979 album "The Tip Of The Weisberg" because that is a great album with 8 songs!! Were the tapes lost??

It seems that iTunes are not going to reissue Tim Weisburg 1979 album "The Tip Of The Weisberg" because that is a great album with 8 songs!! Were the tapes lost??
From what I see on Wikipedia, the only company to issue that album was Nautilus, and they shut down in 1984, 5 years after its release. And it looks like it was the only one of his records that they released. Has it appeared on CD since Nautilus was one of the first labels to digitally record, and CD was out in 1983. But considering that, maybe Tim Weisburg owns the masters and he just hasn’t licensed the album, or even after all this time there may still be rights issues that can’t be resolved because Nautilus no longer exist, so the album is stuck in legal limbo where it might stay until 2074 or 50 years after Weisburg’s death, and only then could it be reissued, because it would be public domain.

I Love
TIm Weisberg's Discography I believe much of his A&M and MCA masters were stored in that I'll fated vault which caught fire and he was one of the many artists listed who had masters stored so far his "Smile the best of" compilation was the only A&M album of his available Digitally along with his 90s releases and beyond in some cases which is sad but thankfully I have most of his A&M And MCA and his 80s and 90s independent label releases one of my favorites is his 1989 CD " Outrageous temptations which featured David Benoit and Also a guest appearance by Rippingtons front man Russ Freeman I nicknamed it Weisberg meets the Rippingtons as Benoit played keyboards on the First 2 Rippingtons albums Moonlighting from 1986 and Kilimanjaro from 1987 I listen to those classic aforementioned artists more now as that was their best period for what used to be Smooth jazz in its prime

I never delved into Tim Weisberg's albums for A&M at all. But I love his collaboration with Dan Fogelberg on TWIN SONS OF DIFFERENT MOTHERS. I made a nice needledrop of the album from a piece of clean vinyl.

I never delved into Tim Weisberg's albums for A&M at all. But I love his collaboration with Dan Fogelberg on TWIN SONS OF DIFFERENT MOTHERS. I made a nice needledrop of the album from a piece of clean vinyl.
I have that twin sons CD and they did a sequel in 1995 called " No Resemblance Whatsoever " which I also have shortly afterwards Fogelberg and Weisberg had a huge falling out Weisberg used Fogelberg for fraud I was very sad to learn that many years afterwards but I still enjoy the respectively works of both

From what I see on Wikipedia, the only company to issue that album was Nautilus, and they shut down in 1984, 5 years after its release. And it looks like it was the only one of his records that they released. Has it appeared on CD since Nautilus was one of the first labels to digitally record, and CD was out in 1983. But considering that, maybe Tim Weisburg owns the masters and he just hasn’t licensed the album, or even after all this time there may still be rights issues that can’t be resolved because Nautilus no longer exist, so the album is stuck in legal limbo where it might stay until 2074 or 50 years after Weisburg’s death, and only then could it be reissued, because it would be public domain.

I'm wondering if there might be some legal issues regarding the track Intimidation. Fogelberg wrote it, and after the lawsuit Weisberg filed(I don't know what was involved or how it turned out), there may have been some changes to existing agreements regarding royalties from future endeavors; maybe Fogelberg's estate won't let Weisberg release the album digitally or in CD form. Who knows? At any rate, it's kind of a real bite in the butt, because it's good music.

It's been a few years since I've played this one. The Michael Franks tune is one of my favorites ("Leading Me Back To You"), as is the Take 6 track "U Turn."

RoonShareImage-637252692385998502.png

Kevin Eubanks' Turning Point, where he broke the mold and made a serious jazz record post-GRP. The music on this one is more reminiscent of his second GRP album, Opening Night. Dave Holland (bass) is featured here, and Eubanks had performed on a couple of albums with Holland on ECM.

RoonShareImage-637252713777174196.png

Back
Top Bottom