• Guest, preorder your copy of the upcoming Herb Alpert Is... box set. Click for CD version or Vinyl version. Release date is October 2, 2020, subject to change.

The Now Spinning/Recent Purchases Thread

Rudy

ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
Staff member
Site Admin
I agree--that's an incredibly good run on the first side, and the mix of styles keep it interesting. "Just Crazy Love" would have fit well on any later FM album--Christine's tunes were always among my favorites. It still throws me how "Hypnotized" comes completely out of left field! It's very uncharacteristic for Fleetwood Mac let alone rock albums in general.

Rudy

ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
Staff member
Site Admin
"Two Bass Hit" is my favorite from Milestones:

1600053897359.png

Changing it up for the evening.

GDB2LV

Hi Rudy. I just wanted to update a Recent purchase or needle doctor thread. Anyway after listening to my Ortofon 2M Bronze for a couple of months, with a very nice and pleasant sound that was a huge upgrade from the blue, I found the even better black at a great price. It cost more than my turntable, but wow! It’s the bronze on steroids. It took a couple of weeks to break in, as all their better stylus do. The true test was to play the very poorly mixed Ticket To Ride album. Japanese vinyl. Having the Shibata tipped stylus, it gets way down into the grooves to play what’s really there. I only get a tiny bit of distortion on the last “Someday “ Karen sings, with very loud horns behind her. About 2 seconds worth, and not cringe worthy as with other cartridges. There is also a small amount of the always poorly mixed ending of Benediction. Again it’s the horns and orchestra bleeding into the speakers. It gives a whole new sound to my vinyl. I can’t stop listening, as I hear things previously not there before. Like you would only hear with headphones on. I’m not crazy about using headphones, I have many, just not for me. Thanks for telling me about the upgrades. Money well spent. The turntable is the Fluance RT-85 if anyone is interested, very highly recommend and well reviewed.

Rudy

ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
Staff member
Site Admin
Hi Rudy. I just wanted to update a Recent purchase or needle doctor thread.
Glad it worked out. I'm using a Nagaoka MP-500 at the moment, the top one in their line. Quite good! A moving iron design similar to Grado.

Rudy

ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
Staff member
Site Admin
A curious album, dating to circa 1973...

1600215992688.png

There is a lot of Puente percussion but it seems to lean more towards ensemble jazz than his other albums. Puente's arranging skills come to the forefront on the charts here.

Rudy

ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
Staff member
Site Admin
Some days you have to go back to the basics. 😁

1600301821946.png

This is one that takes me back to my days of standing on a chair next to the hi-fi in the basement, loading up the changer with all sorts of records.

The mastering on this newer 24bit / 96kHz digital version is sublime. I've never heard a good digital version of many of Mancini's albums until these recent remasters came along (and of course, the Analogue Productions remasters of three of Mancini's titles set the bar even higher).

Bobberman

Some days you have to go back to the basics. 😁

View attachment 5852

This is one that takes me back to my days of standing on a chair next to the hi-fi in the basement, loading up the changer with all sorts of records.

The mastering on this newer 24bit / 96kHz digital version is sublime. I've never heard a good digital version of many of Mancini's albums until these recent remasters came along (and of course, the Analogue Productions remasters of three of Mancini's titles set the bar even higher).
One of my personal favorite Mancini albums i still have my CD copy and I'm sure its out of print by now and its been ripped to my computer long ago but the music is delightfully varied and still enjoyable Rudy You have Good taste

Rudy

ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
Staff member
Site Admin
It's usually in print since it has been one of the more popular titles. Although his biggest selling album had to be The Music from Peter Gunn, the first jazz album to sell a million copies. It sold so many and so fast that they ran out of jackets to put the records in, and had to use a generic RCA jacket until the printers caught up.

1600527269969.png

Rudy

ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
Staff member
Site Admin
Latest arrival is Technicolor by Cuban rockers Sweet Lizzy Project. I posted a couple of clips earlier. This limited edition signed Technicolor-splattered vinyl version is only available directly from their website.

PXL_20200922_010409559-01.jpeg

PXL_20200921_234900016-01.jpeg

Mike Blakesley

Staff member
Happened to spot a reference to "Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynolds" in another thread, so I was spinning their first (self titled) album on Amazon Music today. It's got that Lambert/Potter vibe, similar to the mid-period Grass Roots LPs. A lot of great songs on it -- my faves are the big hit "Don't Pull Your Love," plus "Annabella," "Goin' Down" and a jazzy mostly instrumental called "Nora."

Their album later album "Fallin' in Love" is available for streaming (albeit with a different, uglier cover than I remember), but their later single "Light Up The World With Sunshine" which was recorded under the name Hamilton, Joe Frank & Dennison, is apparently lost to the ages, at least as far as Amazon Music is concerned.

According to Wikipedia, HJFR is among the groups whose music was lost in the Universal fire.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Their music was OK, but their group name should have been better thought out. When you heard it on the radio, it seemed like four guys, two who were using their last names and two who were using their first names. Then if you happened to catch their name in print, you would realize that Joe Frank was just one guy.

I think I have a few of their singles at home.

Rudy

ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
Staff member
Site Admin
Played this last night from the 2-LP 45 RPM Impex set.

1600802146194.png

That pressing is so good that Belafonte's right in the room. It's a quiet album, with sparse jazz combo accompaniment. We had this in the house when I was growing up but I was always into the faster, happier songs back then. This one would have been too laid back.

Top Bottom