The Now Spinning/Recent Purchases Thread

It looks like Neto's album was on CD many years ago:

1608486608380.png

Neto does appear on a lot of other performers' recordings. One of them features Wanda Sa with Bossa Tres, from 2000.

1608486798097.png

I used to have a Dom Um Romao CD around here. It might have been Hotmosphere. I can't recall if I sold it, or if it's buried in storage somewhere.

I found a nice article on Tiao Neto's career:

Translate before reading, of course. 😁

Great photo from the Getz/Gilberto sessions:

1608487957250.png

Tiao Neto, Jobim, Stan Getz, Joao Gilberto and Milton Banana. Tiao was uncredited on the original album due to not yet having his union card, and borrowed an upright bass from Don Payne for the session.

Last edited:
This follow-up date to The Dynamic Duo is quieter and leans more into a combo setting vs. a big band.

DNkK6Sf.png

The great Wes tune "O.G.D." makes an appearance here also. (AKA "Road Song.")

I've heard "Lonely Woman" before (Pat Metheny recorded it on his album Rejoicing) and had heard the original Horace Silver version come up in rotation on Pandora, but I finally had a chance to play the actual Horace Silver album today. I'm no fan of most of Blue Note's recordings, but this one is rather nice.

z0te89Q.png

The title track has a familiar bass line--Steely Dan used it on their single "Rikki Don't Lose That Number." And "Lonely Woman" is the final track on the album. The HiRes version sounds nice; there is an upcoming Blue Note vinyl reissue of this title, although I missed out on the 45 RPM set from quite a few years ago which I would have preferred.

An unusual album...

mhCL4gy.png

A CTi album. Lalo Schifrin mixing up his arranging skills with jazz and R&B. Almost reminds me of a Deodato album in a way.

OK, this one is interesting! Like Schifrin's New Fantasy, he puts a strong big band jazz spin on a rather unique collection of tunes.

J1ysFHk.png

Well...the entire title would not fit. Here, I kid you not, is the title of the record:

The Dissection And Reconstruction Of Music From The Past As Performed By The Inmates Of Lalo Schifrin's Demented Ensemble As A Tribute To The Memory Of The Marquis De Sade

With the WDR Big Band, recorded in 1996, from a suite composed by Schifrin for Dizzy Gillespie in 1960.

ce2tMQl.png

An unusual album...

mhCL4gy.png

A CTi album. Lalo Schifrin mixing up his arranging skills with jazz and R&B. Almost reminds me of a Deodato album in a way.
I have this on a Japanese CD reissue along with Lalo's "Towering Tocatta" those two are my favorite Lalo Schifrin albums. They do remind me of Deodato in a way.

I have this on a Japanese CD reissue along with Lalo's "Towering Tocatta" those two are my favorite Lalo Schifrin albums. They do remind me of Deodato in a way.
Deodato and this album kind of tapped into the funk/R&B sound with the jazz, which is how I connected them. Drove the jazz purists nuts, but I don't really care. 😁 I figure it's all music, and most music is just a mix of styles and genres anyways.

Have you ever heard Freddie Hubbard's First Light? It's another one where there is a mix of styles. His backing is more electric than previous records, and he covers a handful of popular tunes from that era.

The Dissection And Reconstruction Of Music From The Past As Performed By The Inmates Of Lalo Schifrin's Demented Ensemble As A Tribute To The Memory Of The Marquis De Sade
Good gosh, what a name. Probably deserves a listen for that alone.

Good gosh, what a name. Probably deserves a listen for that alone.
It's actually a pretty good album--well-conceived jazz arrangements based on 18th century melodies. Schifrin's New Fantasy album was of a similar style, primarily from classical music themes.

But even Verve was challenged to fit it all onto a record label:

1609017169216.png

^That title printing looks like the legalese fine print on most labels!

It's actually a pretty good album--well-conceived jazz arrangements based on 18th century melodies. Schifrin's New Fantasy album was of a similar style, primarily from classical music themes.

But even Verve was challenged to fit it all onto a record label:

1609017169216.png
There's one album that will never see a CD release...not enough room to print the label.

There's one album that will never see a CD release...not enough room to print the label.
Or in very very fine print:

1609021799691.png

And what's with the sideways Verve logo? 😁

The spine of the CD packaging is worse:

1609021938635.png

...but at least the back cover sums it up so much simpler. "Schifrin/Sade." This is the Verve Elite Edition remaster from 1997.

For those who still can't read it:

Deodato and this album kind of tapped into the funk/R&B sound with the jazz, which is how I connected them. Drove the jazz purists nuts, but I don't really care. 😁 I figure it's all music, and most music is just a mix of styles and genres anyways.

Have you ever heard Freddie Hubbard's First Light? It's another one where there is a mix of styles. His backing is more electric than previous records, and he covers a handful of popular tunes from that era.
I've heard of that album but unfortunately haven't checked it out yet thanks for the tip ill go investigate i remember Freddie Hubbard I have a couple songs which are covers Christopher Cross's ''Ride Like the wind" and Kenny Loggins "This Is It" both favorite songs and great instrumental covers too

Sony has posted the album to YouTube:

Hopefully this link will start off on track #1 and queue the rest. It's very Creed Taylor-ish.

Sony has posted the album to YouTube:

Hopefully this link will start off on track #1 and queue the rest. It's very Creed Taylor-ish.

I like this i went to YouTube and heard a few more I missed out on over the years but thanks Rudy for refreshing my musical memory

It surprised me how much is available on YouTube Music. It's grown to have a selection similar to other streaming services, but has the advantage of tapping into YouTube's video side. Its interface is less cluttered and more geared to music listening, and lets you save your own playlists and favorites.

https://music.youtube.com

I’ve been spinning the first 3 Volume’s of Wayne Rostad & Friends “Christmas In The Valley” & his “ Christmas In The Valley” solo album. These were albums that were released in the Ottawa and Ottawa Valley area of Ontario, exclusively through Mac’s Milk convenience stores, from 1986-2003 to support CHEO (Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario). Including his solo album, there were 8 or 9 albums released. Unfortunately, the first 6 or 7 only saw analog releases on LP & cassette between 86 & 93 and have never had a CD or digital release.

But I see someone put Vol 1 up on YouTube.

Back in the 90s I bought a CD by a local musician who was heard nationally by most members of this forum: Jack Brokensha. He was the vibraphone player and percussionist on all of those hit Motown records in the 60s; musicians weren't credited on those records up until Marvin Gaye's What's Going On, on which he also played. He owned a small jazz club in the 70s, not far from the Hitsville USA studios, and performed in jazz combos throughout his career. One of the performers at his jazz club was a teenaged Earl Klugh, who was just starting out on his musical career.

1609164562889.png

A lone arrival today....sealed copy of New Fantasy. Classical/orchestral themes given big band arrangements.

1609298935509.png

It's always interesting to unseal records like this one, which was sealed 56 years ago...

Back
Top Bottom