The Now Spinning/Recent Purchases Thread

The original cover for Plugs In has a much lighter background...it does not look so "cut and paste" as this scan does. :D I noticed that the tape recorder they used did not have the most stable speed--it wavers quite a bit. But the performance is worth it!

I did a trifecta of Tjader albums yesterday. Soul Burst, Several Shades of Jade and El Sonido Nuevo. I can't remember where my CD is of Along Comes Cal--I made that one from a reel tape. It does not sound the best (commercially copied reels are not all that good, I've found), but it is cleaner than any of the LPs I've found (and I have not found many).

Verve really does not have that many more titles to release in order to have his full catalog out there! They should release the rest in the Verve Originals series. Off the top of my head, these are all that remain:
  • Saturday Night/Sunday Night at the Blackhawk
  • In A Latin Bag
  • Warm Wave
  • Along Comes Cal
  • Hip Vibrations
The Prophet had a Japan CD released IIRC, but I never grabbed a copy. Can't say that's a favorite, but the completist in me says I should have a copy. :D

We're currently overhauling http://www.caltjader.com right now. Long way to go, but we'll be adding a lot of content over the next few months.

Now spinning!

Hugh Masekela -- Uptownship

Track list:
1. Uptownship
2. If you don't know me by now
3. Now or never
4. Hold on
5. Ooo baby baby
6. Egoli
7. No woman no cry
8. Emavungweni
9. Naledi
10. Elijah
11. Nomalizo

It's all good stuff!

Mike

Buzzcocks' A Different Kind Of Tension (IRS SP009) &
Phil Ochs' Gunfight At Carnegie Hall (A&M SP9010)

Yeah, I'm feeling kinda angry and these are soothing... :mad:

Spinnin' the wrecka playah tonight. It's Ozzy, Diary of a Madman on a Jet Records pressing. Can't wait until I can crank this one up! Great Randy Rhodes shredding on this one. Just need to get Blizzard of Oz and No More Tears now...

Booker T. Jones (same guy as Booker T. & the MGs)

"The Road From Memphis"

This is a recent release and it's pretty darn good in my opinion.

Mike

My own "deluxe" 2CD edition:

55f0793509a07af9e3447110.L._AA300_.jpg

I have sides 1, 2 and 3 of the LP on the first disc, and one bonus track. The 2nd CD has side 4 from the LP, "Feio", and more bonus tracks. These bonus tracks are the ones I pulled from the Complete Bitches Brew Sessions set.

Listening to Steve Cropper & Felix Cavaliere "Nudge It Up a Notch"

This is some really good stuff. Modern day Stax infused with the soul of the old time Memphis R&B sound.

Mike

I am off the wall tonight, fellow babies! I'm listening to the full custom gospel sounds of Rev. Horton Heat. Songs about wiggle sticks, whammy bars, four hundred bucks, bales of cocaine...and beer!!

51fyKwcRI3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'm spinning something a bit tamer than the Rev. Horton Heat.

A&M Gold Series Herb Alpert & the Tijuana brass (Polydor/Polygram CD made in West Germany, 1991)

Mike

I'm spinning something a bit tamer than the Rev. Horton Heat.

Yep, slightly more tame. :uhhuh: I followed it up with a couple more of the Reverend's albums (Liquor In The Front, and Lucky 7, which has my favorite track on it, "Like A Rocket"). Then played a few tracks from the Hillbilly Hellcats album (the drummer, "Taz" Bentley, was the Reverend's original drummer, shown in the video).

Might play something by Th' Legendary Shack Shakers. Makes the Reverend seem tame at times. They didn't exactly burn up the charts, but Geico used their "CB Song" in a commercial...

Wish someone had posted the album version of "Shakerag Holler." It's so full of country twang that you can almost step in a pile of it! :D There are a couple of live versions posted on YouTube...damn, some wicked skills on the harp!!!

Actually, th' Shack Shakers remind me of something The Cramps may have pulled if they came up through Nashville and overdosed on some really wicked speed. :laugh:

Now spinning...

The Ramsey Lewis Trio -- At the Bohemian Caverns (In Washington DC)

This album includes a killer West Side Story medley and one of the best covers of "Fly Me to the Moon" I've ever heard.

The louder I play it, the better it sounds.

Mike

I currently have Deep Purple's The Deepest Purple - The Best of Deep Purple playing right now. Good tunes for cleaning my house, which I can't begin to tell you how much I enjoy... :vacuum:

I sense a bit of sarcasm... :laugh:

Odd night here. I've spun:

Count Basie: Li'l Ol Groovemaker...Basie
Peter Gabriel: 3 (Melt) and 1 (Car)
Donald Fagen: Morph The Cat

Herbie Hancock mood today: Thrust, Head Hunters and Man-Child.

Aside from that, my Jean-Luc Ponty station on Pandora.

Today I'm spinning...

Hugh Masekela -- The Lasting Impressions of Ooga Booga

Not every track is a winner but overall I like it. He even does a cover of Masquenada.

Mike

Ian Dury & the Blockheads, an Aussie compilation of thier best
and again spinning my band's CD in the car when the talk shows get boring...

Odd assortment in the car CD changer today...

Rev. Horton Heat (compilation)
Queen: The Game (Mobile Fidelity CD)
Best of Matt Bianco
Ralph Towner: Solstice
Simon Phillips: Another Lifetime
Count Basie: Li'l Ol Groovemaker...Basie!

This evening: Doris Day double-CD set, Day by Day--Day By Night. Prime stuff from 1956-67, with Paul Weston's Orchestra. The second disc is especially choice!

=Mike A.

I'm rather perturbed tonight, so I have the Zune and my in-ear monitors going right now. Playing my ECM Records playlist with the following albums:

Eberhard Weber: Silent Feet
Ralph Towner: Solstice
Oregon: Crossing
Pat Metheny: Watercolors
Pat Metheny/Lyle Mays: As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls
Chick Corea: Return To Forever

In one of those moods...

Back
Top Bottom