The Now Spinning/Recent Purchases Thread

I decided to mark "The Circle Game" as "skip when shuffling" because most of my trips are short ones and I hate when that song starts and I've only got 3 minutes to listen. One time it took me two days to get through it!

Today I'm playing a home-made compilation that has tracks from Encanto and Timeless mixed with a few from Brasileiro and Oceano.

My shuffle has done that also--a couple of times it has played a related artist or two in a row, such as a Robert Plant song following a Led Zep. With 20,000+ songs in the player, and 1,000+ in my pop/rock/R&B playlist, the odds are not really all that great it would happen... :D

Just listened to Frank Sinatra "Strangers In The Night" , sub title The Popular Sinatra Sings For Moderns.

Some great songs on this CD but I cringe when I hear Frank sing "Down Town" and My Baby Just Cares For Me"
It's not that he sings them badly, it's just that it doesn't fit the Frank image for me.

Mike

Just listened to Frank Sinatra "Strangers In The Night" , sub title The Popular Sinatra Sings For Moderns.

Some great songs on this CD but I cringe when I hear Frank sing "Down Town" and My Baby Just Cares For Me"
It's not that he sings them badly, it's just that it doesn't fit the Frank image for me.

Mike

I spun the LP Swing Lightly/Songs for Young Lovers, which combines the two 10" LPs released in the 50s. Early on, it was really an image-setter, taking him from the bobby-soxer image to the more hip and savvy image he had during most of his Capitol days. I admit to liking some of his recordings on Reprise, but yes, I do cringe at some of it. I like the Basie and Jobim albums, and Sinatra At The Sands is a classic.

I'm spending today working my way through the Beatles Mono Box set.

I've got a Marantz amp and Denon CD player pumping the music to a couple Cerwin-Vega floor speakers.

Cranked up and sounding great!

Mike

Today I listened to and digitized my LP of Spanky and Our Gang's GREATEST HIT(s). I always liked that album.

Harry

I just finished listening to the Toshiko Akiyoshi/Lew Tabackin Big Band's Road Time LP, and am ready to listen to J.J. Johnson & Stan Getz's At The Opera House, one of my favorite of J.J.'s recordings. With guys like Oscar Peterson, Herb Ellis, Ray Brown and Connie Kay behind him it can't help but be good! :agree:

This one is for the Red Wings (Game 7 in San Jose on Thursday):

Been listening to Mayra Andrade - "Storia, Storia" again the last couple of days as well as her first album "Navega", real beautiful mix of styles going on. Otherwise, Pete Jolly - "Seasons" has been on repeat again, I never tire of that one. Have just started unpacking vinyl after after a recent house move and I'm finding stuff I didn't know I still had... old jazz stuff, film soundtracks, latin, old-style R&B 45s, all sorts... Gotta start making some compilations...

Spinning some Ambrosia today. I rarely listen to their albums; I have a couple of different compilations that I listen to more often. They only had a handful of albums but the quality level is right up there on all of them. My favorite is the third one, Life Beyond L.A.

Listening to Pandora radio on the Droid right now. I created a Jean-Luc Ponty channel over a year ago and have kept fine-tuning it since then, and it now plays me a perfect fusion/contemporary jazz mix with some favorites and a lot of others that I hadn't heard before that I like. The channel got me into Return To Forever and Al Di Meola, in fact.

Ambrosia had "Biggest Part of Me" and "You're The Only Woman" as big hits in the early 80s. WNIC ("Detroit's Nicest Rock") used to play them quite a bit.

Spinning an absolutely fantastic bit of vinyl: the Rhino 180g vinyl remaster of Van Morrison's Moondance. It's one of the quietest LPs I've ever played, and Van's voice sounds very alive and natural. Mastered and cut by Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman, and it features all the original packaging including the green Warner label. Grab this before it's out of print. I actually have two copies of it--keeping one sealed.

Now playing: Sinatra and Swingin' Brass (Japanese SHM-CD reissue) sounds great!

Next up: Soundtrack for the movie "Ice Station Zebra". Music composed and conducted by Michael Legrand.
I've heard that this has been referred to as "The Cold War Ballet".

Mike

Good idea Mike--I may spin the Sinatra "Swing Easy/Songs For Young Lovers" LP in a bit. :D

Right now, it's Genesis night with Trick Of The Tail on Mobile Fidelity LP. I think this one set me back $35 or $40 several years ago--it's from the late 70s/early 80s series of LPs. Plays flawless, plus I knew the seller. Given how good it sounds, it's well worth it. Around dinnertime, I spun the "Mama" 12" single, one of my favorite Genesis tracks. Another favorite is the lesser-known "Ripples" from Trick Of The Tail...here in a rare video...

Prior, it was Al Stewart's Year Of The Cat. MoFi LP again. I'm still looking for the MoFi Time Passages BTW, so if anyone sees one, let me know. The U.S. Arista vinyl is crap. Sounds like a wet area rug. :tongue:

Herb & the TJB "Going Places!!"
After that I'll be spinning Ramsey Lewis Trio "Bossa Nova"
Mike

We should list albums that had Bossa Nova in the title. :D I played an old Brubeck album, Bossa Nova USA the other night. Stan Kenton has Artistry in Bossa Nova, and Stan Getz has Big Band Bossa Nova. John Pizzarelli had one with the easy title of Bossa Nova.

I have a Ramsey Lewis Trio album from that same era, Goin' Latin. I am pretty sure Maurice White is on drums on that one.

On that R&B/Funk note, Friday was Stevie Wonder's 61st birthday, so I managed to play through three of my favorites: Music Of My Mind, Talking Book and Innervisions.

Hi Rudy, you are correct -- Maurice White plays the drums on "Goin' Latin".
It's Red Holt on the "Bossa Nova" album.
Mike

:thumbsup: I actually hear his voice on the third track on side 1 (if I'm thinking of the correct one). Very recognizable.

Spinning Jean-Luc Ponty tonight: No Absolute Time and Individual Choice. Probably have to get off the computer soon, as I'm burning out for the night.

We should list albums that had Bossa Nova in the title.
I had Bossa Nova Hotel by Sergio Mendes' sometime collaborator, Michael Sembello. It had a great single, "Automatic Man," that was unjustly ignored by the masses.

We should list albums that had Bossa Nova in the title.

Another Japanese compilation favorite (though it's only got "bossa" in the title):

418FY8SDDWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

MAIS QUE NADA - A&M POP BOSSA (1998)

1. One Note Samba - Chris Montez
2. Meditation/Meditacão - Claudine Longet
3. Wave - Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66
4. Do You Know The Way To San Jose? - Bossa Rio
5. Don't Go Breaking My Heart - Roger Nichols & The Small Circle Of Friends
6. Fly Me To The Moon - Chris Montez
7. Mais Que Nada - Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66
8. Day By Day - Bossa Rio
9. Our Day Will Come - Roger Nichols Trio
10. Misty Roses - The Sandpipers
11. The Girl From Ipanema - Chris Montez
12. A Felicidade - Claudine Longet
13. Fool On The Hill - Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66
14. Up, Up, And Away - Bossa Rio
15. Quiet Nights Of Quiet Stars - Chris Montez
16. Dindi - Claudine Longet
17. Night And Day - Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66
18. Old Devil Moon - Bossa Rio
19. Manha de Carnaval - Claudine Longet

Harry

I had Bossa Nova Hotel by Sergio Mendes' sometime collaborator, Michael Sembello. It had a great single, "Automatic Man," that was unjustly ignored by the masses.
I need to seek that one out. Most don't realize he's a lot more than a one-hit wonder with "Maniac."

Summer here usually means I get out more of the funk, R&B, fusion jazz and rock albums. Seems my summer awakening is starting this year with Nirvana. I like Nevermind but it seems like I am always drawn more toward the Incesticide compilation, which combines a few short sessions and various singles onto one disc. It actually represents more of the Nirvana sound than their watershed Nevermind album IMHO. The one album of theirs I don't care for is the Unplugged album--the vocals are all over the place.

BTW, there is supposedly a nice 180g blue vinyl pressing of Nevermind out there. I'm hoping to get my grubby mitts on one this summer.

Back
Top Bottom