The Now Spinning/Recent Purchases Thread

I'm in a killer trombone mode right now, so I have Frank Rosolino & Conte Candoli's Conversations - The Complete Quintet Recordings playing. Rosolino is just a monster...

I'm doing back-to-back Mancini.
First I played "Uniquely Mancini" subtitled "The Big Band Sound of Henry Mancini"
And now I'm spinning "The Latin Sound of Henry Mancini"
Good stuff, originally released on RCA Records Living Stereo! I have the CD version from BMG Spain.

Mike

Uniquely Mancini is one of the best west coast big band albums I've heard. I have four copies on LP, and one is actually quiet enough to make it into the "good" collection--very hard to find good, clean copies even though seemingly millions were pressed. :D I have two LP copies of Latin Sound, one on the original label, the other an orange-label reissue.

I have the former on the BMG Spain reissue, but can't recall if I have the latter. The quality of those is all over the map. As I understood it, reissue producer Jordi Pujol in Spain tried to get the correct original stereo masters from BMG US, but they refused to send them over. BMG Spain then had to make do with whatever tape copies they had. I have quite a few--some are in mono, where others are in stereo but sound rather weak and muffled compared to US vinyl. The two you have actually sound pretty good--I have some that sound far worse. These were the only way to get a lot of those classic 50s and 60s RCA albums on CD (or at all).

If you ever see Bobby Troup's Stars of Jazz, pick it up. A lot of the same musicians who played in Mancini's big bands were also on this album, and you'd find many of these in Shorty Rogers' big bands back then also. The neat part is Troup's casual, smoky vocals over the same type of "west coast cool" big band sound. It was on BMG Spain, but I don't know at this late date if it is still available.

Hi Rudy! Thanks for sharing the info. I'm on the hunt for the Bobby Troup album.
I have his "Bobby Swings Tenderly" CD already.

Mike

No problem Mike! I still need to remember to put the LP of the album on my want list. That old RCA vinyl in good condition can sound excellent. Finding it clean and unworn is hard, but worth it. I scored a beautiful copy of Shorty Rogers' Afro-Cuban Influence album several years ago, and it has incredible warmth to it.

Robert Plant, Shaken and Stirred is on the turntable, after having downed a large botana. :D

Not sure what else to spin this evening. Hard to hear much with all the fans running.

Right now I'm groovin' to "The Look of Love and the Sounds of Laurindo Almeida".
This is a recent Japanese CD reissue.

Next up is the new Concord records reissue of Booker T & the MGs "McLemore Avenue"
This has 6 bonus tracks of Beatles' songs from other Booker T albums.

Man, I'm lovin' the Laurindo Almeida CD!

Mike

I only have a few of Almeida's albums--I'm going to have to seek out more of those. My folks had a couple, which IIRC may have been on Capitol back in the 60s or 70s. The three I have are the three Bossa Nova All-Stars albums from the mid 60s.

I'm firing up the turntable in a bit, between monsoons here.

BTW, Mike, how far are you from Okinawa? We have our Marine stationed over there for two years. :)

Hi Rudy! Okinawa is probably over an hour away by jet plane.
I've been there several times but don't have any opertunity to go now.
However, my wife goes there on bussiness about once a year.

Mike

My better half has some family over there--her uncle moved to New Zealand with the family a few decades ago, and her cousin married a diplomat from NZ. They are currently in Japan since he is one of the secretaries to the NZ Embassy over there. Pretty cool! Don't know if we'll be able to afford a visit to Japan, but he'll be there two years (he left Twentynine Palms last week) so there's plenty of time to save up.

And now, on with the countdown. :D

Pat Metheny/Lyle Mays, As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls. ECM Records test pressing. :thumbsup:

From 29 Palms to Okinawa. I guess it's okay of you're a Marine! But at least it's Japan! Try to visit if you can, but make sure you include Tokyo on teh trip so you can go rekkid-hunting with Mike! (And, of course, visit Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea).

That's part of my debacle...the plane fare over to Japan would probably cost less than my spending spree for Japan CDs and SACDs. :D

From what we heard though, the absolute worst of Twentynine Palms and Okinawa combined are still far better than what Parris Island was like. :sigh: He still has nightmares about it.

Yes' 90125 spinning now. What is it with some of these British groups and the lack of bass on the recordings? I had to turn the subwoofer on AND turn it up way past its normal setting just to make it sound normal.

Peter Gabriel (yes, the first four all had the same/no title :D ). This is the first one with "Solsbury Hill," "Humdrum" and "Here Comes The Flood." Spinning the SACD tonight.

Al Stewart: Last Days Of The Century, to be followed by Time Passages. Year Of The Cat and Between The Wars will follow if I can stay awake.

In a bit of a "quiet storm" mood tonight. I'm trying out the Google Music Beta, and one of the first albums it uploaded was by a little group called 101 North, which was produced by George Duke. It is mainly instrumental and low key, but this track almost doesn't fit the album--it would be great on a "make out" album. :wink: Nonetheless, it's a show-stopper on the self-titled album it is from...

Now that I've managed to make mp3s of most of the Dore Alpert singles (still missing two) I've been spinnning them and a variety of A&M 12-inchers. Hopefully I can soon get the broken part form the turntable my wife bought me on eBay over ten years ago replaced and actually spin vinyl again! I should take a picture of the broken hook that holds the cartridge on the tone arm so Rudy can tell me the best way to get a replacement. This turntable is the "Dual" one you helped Mrs. Bill order, just to refresh your memory...

I'm playing a CD I just received from an eBay purchase called Basie Jam, which is mostly a jam session of blues with some of the top jazzers - Count Basie on piano & organ, J.J. Johnson on trombone, Harry "Sweets" Edison on trumpet, Eddie Davis and Zoot Sims on tenor saxes, Irving Ashby on guitar, Ray Brown on bass and Louis Bellson on drums on this 1973 date. Cool stuff!

I should take a picture of the broken hook that holds the cartridge on the tone arm so Rudy can tell me the best way to get a replacement.

Seeing that you've done photography for a living, you have no excuse. :D

Spinning 12"ers tonight. Earth Wind & Fire's "Saturday Nite" promo 12", followed by Prince's "America" in its 21 minute extended version...basically an extended jam. Fleshtones EP Up-Front is on deck, along with the extended Lenny White/Twennynine "Peanut Butter".

Now that I've managed to make mp3s of most of the Dore Alpert singles (still missing two) I've been spinnning them and a variety of A&M 12-inchers.

If you want any of that Dore stuff, I think I've got 'em all. I don't have that big slow train thing though.

Harry

Today's music spins included Wilson Phillips CDs and some of their cassette singles with single edits.

Harry

I'm playing Andrea Corr's new album, "Lifelines". I'm enjoying it a lot more than her first solo effort.

If you want any of that Dore stuff, I think I've got 'em all. I don't have that big slow train thing though.

Harry

Little Lost Lover and Special Kind of Love are the two I'm missing. I have the singles, but just not on mp3. Need Hully Gully and Summer School on mp3 as well. (M4a works as well -- but those other formats everyone raves about I cannot get to play no matter what I do).

--Mr Bill

New 12" single on the wheel of steel (wait...wheel of Bakelite, since that's what the turntable platter is cast out of :D ): Cheryl Lynn, "Star Love" b/w "Shake It Up Tonight." I've been looking for this version of "Star Love" for years, so it's good to hear it other than on CD form. The $2 won't kill me--I just have to skip a lunch or two. :D

Just read a review of the new Journey Eclipse album. Not a Journey fan by any means, but this one has Arnel Pineda on vocals and beats the whiny Steve Perry by a mile. Sounds like a guitar-heavy album, much harder than what they've done in the past. (This is definitely no "Escape II" in other words.) I'm going to listen to the rest of this album. Promising!

Back
Top Bottom