The Now Spinning/Recent Purchases Thread

Now playing -- The Ramsey Lewis Trio "Another Voyage"

Next up -- Boney James & Rick Braun "Shake It Up".

Mike

Essential Santana going right now, but it's wearing on me. (Not much of a Santana fan...I can only hear the same guitar solo repeated a few times. :laugh: )

I am totally at a loss as to what I should play next. :shrug:

Piano time...

3fb1225b9da0ea49031d2110.L._AA300_.jpg
bc63820dd7a01c2ebcc2e010.L._AA300_.jpg

4c0fc6da8da02944ab2a0110.L._AA300_.jpg
4737810ae7a04d7062a8b110.L._AA300_.jpg

Fredde Gedde "32 songs in 8 minutes" and other You Tube selections by Fredde...

--Mr Bill

Let's see...temps in the mid 90s today, high humidity, work outside is done, and I'm a bachelor for a good 10 hours or more today. I think it's gonna be Vinyl Tuesday at Casa Roody. :D

Just picked up Stevie Nicks' new CD, In Your Dreams. I'd skipped her last few albums but was won over by several good reviews on this one... they all compare the album to her best work with Fleetwood Mac. I'm into track 3 right now and it's really good!

Also picked up the new disk by The Cars -- haven't heard it yet but it's next up.

Now spinning -- Michael Jackson "Thriller"

Whether you love him, hate him, think he was strange or pity him, Michael Jackson's Thriller LP is (in my opinion) amazing.

All the best,
Mike

Picking through my iTunes library tonight . . . Carpenters "Ordinary Fool" followed by "A Song For You," then Baja Marimba Band's "Elena" and Roger Nichols/Small Circle of Friends "Love So Fine," then the Andrews Sisters "I'll Be With You in Apple Blossom Time" then some Focus "Hocus Pocus" and Marty Robbins with "You Gave Me a Mountain" followed by Herb & Lani's new "Taste of Honey" . . . not sure where I'll go next, but it's sure a lot of fun along the way . . .

=Mike A.

Thriller was for sure his peak IMHO. I have the promo 12" single of "Wanna Be Startin' Something" that has a couple of extended sections to it. Thriller on SACD sounds fantastic BTW...and I still regret getting rid of my vinyl copy.

Of all the Edu Lobo albums I own, this one has really resonated with me. The appearance of the classic Tamba Trio on this set is the icing on the cake, and makes for quite the impressive debut by Lobo on record.

9061619009a0dbe6efb07110.L._AA300_.jpg

Perusing my list of Edu Lobo titles, I have the following:

A Musica de Edu Lobo por Edu Lobo
Edu e Bethania
Edu Lobo
Contiga de Longe
Sergio Mendes presents Edu Lobo
Missa Breve
Edu & Tom (with Antonio Carlos Jobim)
Deus Lhe Pague (soundtrack composed with lyricist/poet Vinicius de Moraes)
Personalidade (compilation containing tracks from a few of these albums)

Hoping to get a few more this year, including a recent recording of his. It is interesting to hear the original versions of a lot of the songs others would cover (Mendes, Alpert, etc.). I also saw a video on YouTube where he does a duet with his son, but can't locate it right now. Below is a really nice version of "Canto Triste" that is my favorite of those I've heard so far...

Picking through my iTunes library tonight . . . Carpenters "Ordinary Fool" followed by "A Song For You," then Baja Marimba Band's "Elena" and Roger Nichols/Small Circle of Friends "Love So Fine," then the Andrews Sisters "I'll Be With You in Apple Blossom Time" then some Focus "Hocus Pocus" and Marty Robbins with "You Gave Me a Mountain" followed by Herb & Lani's new "Taste of Honey" . . . not sure where I'll go next, but it's sure a lot of fun along the way . . .

=Mike A.

Wow, your shooting all over the landscape. Sounds like one of my own chaotic playlist nights. :D

Found! Bena and Edu Lobo: "Ponteio". Bena has inherited his dad's musical talents. :thumbsup:

I'm playing Andrea Corr's new album, "Lifelines". I'm enjoying it a lot more than her first solo effort.

I just got my copy of LIFELINES today. Listening now.

The only track I'd heard prior was "No. 9 Dream" that was a download from her website. So this is largely unfamiliar territory as far as these recordings go. Interesting so far.

Harry

Piano Time, reloaded: Bill Evans Trio, Waltz For Debby. I spun some Metheny on vinyl earlier: Offramp and American Garage while I cleaned up from dinner and put together an IKEA Expedit shelving unit. I also played a CD of odds and ends I made from stray Donald Fagen b-sides and live tracks.

I did spin Chick Corea's Return To Forever LP yesterday, in honor of his 70th birthday. And the day before, with it being Joao Gilberto's 80th birthday, I gave "Chega de Saudade" a spin.

Ambrosia had "Biggest Part of Me" and "You're The Only Woman" as big hits in the early 80s. WNIC ("Detroit's Nicest Rock") used to play them quite a bit.

Ambrosia is much more than just their soft rock hits. Ambrosia's first two albums are Classic Progressive Rock. The debut album was mixed by Alan Parsons and Alan produced their second "Somewhere I've Never Travelled". Ambrosia just headlined the CalProg Progressive Rock festival
last October and Rocked the house ditching the soft pop and playing only extended versions of their Progressive Rock songs.

Check out one of my favorite songs off Ambrosia's debut album "Make Us All Aware". Parsons does a great job mixing this song including coming up with the idea to begin it with a backwards gong.

Make Us All Aware
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZAw5J9Z8lY

Then Check out these Killer Live versions of Classic Ambrosia songs!!

Nice Nice Very Nice

Time Waits For No One

Holdin On To Yesterday

Ambrosia is much more than just their soft rock hits. Ambrosia's first two albums are Classic Progressive Rock.

Definitely! I was only choosing a couple of songs that others here may recognize. One could argue that a few other well-known prog bands "went pop" as well.

Thanks for the clips--good stuff! :thumbsup:

Tonight's picks:

Gordon Lightfoot: If You Could Read My Mind (Reprise "steamboat" pressing)
Van Morrison: Moondance (Rhino 180g vinyl reissue)
Elton John: Tumbleweed Connection (MFSL gold CD)
Andreas Vollenweider: Behind The Gardens... (standard Columbia CD)
Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Orchestra: Consummation (standard CD)

Trying to do some paying work, so I have the Zune set up with a rather long playlist...

Dire Straits: Love Over Gold and On Every Street
Al Stewart: Year Of The Cat, Time Passages and Last Days of The Century
Bill Withers: Lean On Me--The Best Of Bill Withers
Bill Evans: Waltz For Debby and Sunday Night at The Village Vanguard

Pat Metheny marathon while I try to get some work done here... :sigh: One of the few things I can listen to that will settle me down and get me to concentrate.

While on leave I need mellow pop to settle me down (espcially since the 13-year-old son and the 6 year-old grandson are here and the 19-year-old college bound evil-teen are stirring up trouble)... I may check in EARLY to my next command just to get out of the house :laugh:

Henry Badowski, Lio and early TJB or BMB fits the bill well!

I'm about to clean my house (yes, I actually do perform these duties) so I'm spinning Freddie Hubbard's Live At The North Sea Jazz Festival (Pablo Records). You just gotta swing while brushing the toilet. :D

I've been all over the map today (starting around 4pm). With a couple of exceptions, I played most of the tracks on these albums. All on vinyl. :thumbsup:

Gordon Lightfoot: If You Could Read My Mind
Prince: Purple Rain
Earth Wind & Fire: Raise!
Pat Metheny Group: First Circle
Live: Throwing Copper (yes, it had a very limited vinyl release...this sucka is rare!)
U2: The Joshua Tree
Robert Plant: Shaken and Stirred
The Cramps: Gravest Hits (had to play "Human Fly" twice! :D )
Gino Soccio: Outline
Christopher Cross: Christopher Cross
The Dave Clark Five: 14 Million Sellers (aka the infamous "Starline LP" in stereo)
Donald Fagen: The Nightfly (import pressing)
Carpenters: Passage
Fleetwood Mac: Tusk (a better album if you skip all the Stevie Nicks songs :whistle: )

...and the night is young! :roodytiphat:

Grand Funk Railroad -- Greatest Hits!

I'm your captain! :roodytiphat:

Got in a load of high-res titles from a buddy of mine, so have been playing through a few. So far...

Dave Grusin: Discovered Again!
John Coltrane: A Love Supreme
Stan Getz/Cal Tjader Quartet (self-titled)
Weather Report: Mysterious Traveler (still don't "get" this stuff...I'll take Return To Forever over Weather Report)
Charles Mingus: Mingus Ah Um

And since I dug my Harmon/Kardon CD-301 cassette deck out of mothballs, I played part of the Metheny/Mays album I had taped to a new metal tape the other night. Sounds really good! Hard to believe I paid almost $500 for this back in the early 80s (and I'd put it up against any Nakamichi cassette deck out there...except the Dragon).

Back
Top Bottom