The Now Spinning/Recent Purchases Thread

Our new CD is finally finished so I've been listening to that since we got them from the manufacturer on Saturday. It's not only exciting to finally be on a recording, but I also did the packaging design and phtography. I'm no Peter Whorf, Guy Webster, Roland Young or Jim McCrary, but it was fun to do!

--Mr Bill
R-FOR WEBInsert Outside.jpg R-FORWEBInsert Inside.jpg

R-FORWEBInlay Tray Inside .jpg R-FORWEBInlay Tray Outside .jpg

Weather Report: Mysterious Traveler (still don't "get" this stuff...I'll take Return To Forever over Weather Report)

I LOVE this album! Especially "Cucumber Slumber" and "Nubian Sundance". Earlier this year I made a 3-CD compilation of Weather Report, and I find myself enjoying their earlier stuff more and more.

Doing some laundry right now and am spinning a 3-LP set from Keith Jarrett - Solo Concerts: Bremen/Lausanne on the ECM label (1973).

I LOVE this album! Especially "Cucumber Slumber" and "Nubian Sundance". Earlier this year I made a 3-CD compilation of Weather Report, and I find myself enjoying their earlier stuff more and more.

I don't know why it just won't grow on me, but now that I have this and Heavy Weather in my collection again (both as SACDs), I'm going to spin them for awhile and see what happens. That first track on Mysterious Traveler caught my ear this time.

Kool & the Gang -- Greatest Hits (Japanese SHM-CD issue)

The only one I skip is "Celebration" and you probably know why, having worked as a DJ... :wink:

The only one I skip is "Celebration" and you probably know why, having worked as a DJ... :wink:

"Woohooooo!"

Having worked as a wedding videographer, I have to say, "Yes. I know why." :nut:

--Mr. Bill

I think there are about a dozen songs out there that most DJs or anyone else in related areas is sick to death of hearing. :agree: This is definitely one of them.

How about "We Are Family" by Sister Sledge? Dragged out at most weddings I attended back in the 80s and 90s. And a lot of couples I know were big on "Always and Forever" by Heatwave. Sad thing is, both Kool & The Gang and Sister Sledge are two groups I like listening to, and I don't mind me some Heatwave every so often. It's only these songs I need to skip to save my sanity. There are more recent songs I'm not familiar with that I know annoy the DJs out there. :agree:

When I was doing wedding videos it was:
1-KC & The Sunshine Band's "Get Down Tonight"
2-"The Macarena"
3-Lou Bega's "Mambo Number 5"
4-"The Electric Slide"
5-(for father/daughter dances) "Butterfly Kisses"
and there are a lot more...

--Mr Bill

A few years ago I was at a bar with some buddies and I put "Mambo #5" on the jukebox. My buds started to chastise me for doing that, but I told them to just watch. Sure enough several girls jumped up and started dancing, bouncing and jiggling around. The next thing I know my buds were saying "I love this song!" :laugh:

KC never got overplayed here--in fact, I don't think I'd ever been to a gathering that played any of his music. (Keep in mind, many of my friends were "Rock & Rollers" so they would rather play some Boston than a KC song.) Overall in Detroit, though, KC was very much in tune with the same type of funk/R&B/junkanoo groove we had going here during the last half of the 70s.

One very annoying song regionally is a bonus track from a Stevie Wonder CD, "My Eyes Don't Cry" (from Characters). I used to like it until I heard it at a few gatherings and endured some stupid "line dance" or whatever it's called. If a DJ is at a gig, this song will be played.

Of course, I'm the one who paid a DJ a bonus for not playing Bob Seger's "Old Time Rock 'n' Roll." :D Obnoxious song...and funny (in an ironic way) how he bitches about "disco" and yet it is set to a disco beat. :rolleyes:

A few years ago I was at a bar with some buddies and I put "Mambo #5" on the jukebox. My buds started to chastise me for doing that, but I told them to just watch. Sure enough several girls jumped up and started dancing, bouncing and jiggling around. The next thing I know my buds were saying "I love this song!" :laugh:

I don't get out enough...my days of going to events that have DJs have pretty much passed, so "Mambo No. 5" never really annoyed me. In fact, having a few of Perez Prado's versions, I get a kick out of it, including the version from Big Hits by Prado which Bega sampled. First time I heard it, I thought I was hallucinating--who would dig up some old song from an early 60s Perez Prado album? :laugh: Little do 90% of the population know that is Prado's "UGH!" throughout the song, and that I believe he still holds the record for the longest-running Billboard #1 single (or if not, it's definitely among the top three): "Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White." (It was the hit that immediately preceded "Rock Around The Clock" by Bill Haley & The Comets...which changed everything. It was no longer your daddy's Oldsmobile! :laugh: )

51nrXHOW3CL._SS500_.jpg

Still spinning!

OK, it's time to move on to some other new stuff.

Joe Pass -- A Sign of the Times
Bud Shank -- California Dreamin'
Howard Roberts -- Jaunty Jolly!

All three of these are EMI Japan re-issues.

All the best,
Mike

Thanks for posting,Mike! I really miss seeing all those Japanese CDs with thier obi strips and kanji! Good news is that with me heading back to Combat Camera next week for my final tour I may get another chgance to visit Japan!

--Bill

Bill! That would be great! You better start saving your money now, because the yen rate sucks!

Mike

Well, to keep this partly on topic, I'm spinning a Japan CD right now: Ye-Me-Le, after I got rid of the CSG processing. Not a favorite album (I only like maybe two or three tracks), but it sounds so much better now.

Peter Nero -- Wives and Lovers

This LP is basically a Burt Bacharach tribute album. All instrumental featuring Nero on piano with full orchestra. Very lively and upbeat. I have the Pickwick/RCA vinyl and also copied it to CD-R.

Mike

Brazil Bossa Beat ! Bossa Nova And The Story Of Elenco Records, Brazil

Brian Setzer & The Nashvillains: Red Hot & Live (this set is smokin'!)
Chicago: Stone of Sisyphus (...meh...just what was all the fuss about this one?)

Nick De Caro and Orchestra -- Happy Heart

I bought this a few years ago when Mr. Bill and I were in the Yokohama Tower Records shop. It's soft pop and easy on the ears. I like it.

My favorite song on this album is track 9 "Amy's Theme".

41PZ7YT09TL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Mike

All over the map today. (Literally too!)

Listened to a lengthy Edu Lobo playlist on the bike ride today.

Back at home:

Herbie Hancock: Thrust
Cal Tjader: Guarabe
Patrick D. Martin: Computer Datin'

...and as usual, the night is young. :D

Live: Throwing Copper... on a somewhat rare slab o' vinyl.

And now, on SACD, John Coltrane: A Love Supreme. Suprisingly, the first time I've ever heard it. Had Blue Train for a few years now on SACD and have enjoyed it. And of course, have him on some Miles recordings. Just never had time to get much into Coltrane.

Listening to another Japanese CD re-issue of an old LP:

Windmills of Your Mind - Bud Shank - Plays the music and arrangments of Michael LeGrand

While I've never been a huge fan of music with a Sax lead, this album is working for me.

Best regards,
Mike

Back
Top Bottom