The Now Spinning/Recent Purchases Thread

The late Isaac Hayes "To Be Continued...." (from late 1970) I do have on CD!! The remakes of "Our Day Will Come" & the late Aretha "Runnin' Out Of Fools" are my favorites. My older brother had the 8 track tape which I heard when I was 7 or 8 years old either in 1972 or 1973!!

So this morning I'm having to use this:

1601991235906.png

...to get this melancholy tune (originally performed by Patsy Cline as "Why Can't He Be You"):

...out of my head.

I would love to know how some songs get stuck in my head. One recent un-invitee - a record I haven't heard in probably 27 years or more - is Matthew Wilder's "Break My Stride". Ugh...

That song was one of those 80s one hit wonders that were a product of their time which if were made today would never make it to the charts but I admit at the time I was intrigued by the lyrics

Speaking of 80s, I was listening to Genesis specifically “Land of Confusion.” Which is certainly appropriate today, and a heck of an ear worm.

I still have the INXS hit "Devil Inside" going through my head, especially when I'm out working on the hooptie fleet. (I'll often have my Pandora 80s channel going out there, and it almost seems like this tune pops up when I'm about ready to wrap things up.)

Those take me back to high school, and stations like WLLZ and WRIF (the latter still around) that were the soundtrack of many of my classmates.

Van Halen was one of My brother's favorite groups he played their albums constantly i still remember" And The Cradle will rock" and that funny lyric "HAVE YOU SEEN JUNIOR'S GRADES"???? :evil:

How about, "I brought my pennnnciilll..." 😁 I know many out there complained about Eddie's playing, but when VH first came onto the scene, there was rarely anyone that would play guitar using those techniques (especially tapping the strings, for those flurries of notes). "Runnin' With The Devil" was a great lead-off track, but Eddie's raw talent came immediately after with the short interlude "Eruption" and made everyone sit up and pay attention.

And using that to lead into "You Really Got Me" was perfect.

I know that Steve Hackett had done similar guitar licks with Genesis prior to that (listen to the beginning of his solo on "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight"), but Eddie combined that with his monster playing in general (switching seamlessly between methods) and carved out his own style that would be imitated by many in years to follow.

This one's for Lorenzo Molina, trumpet player from The Mavericks, who was beaten (along with his friend) last night in a bar in Tennessee...because they were speaking Spanish. With hate crimes against Latinos being the highest this year than in the past decade, this song is most appropriate giving the divisive and highly polarized state we're in right now.

Take a look around you, it's easy not to see
Building walls between us doesn't fix a thing
Ignorance is blinding, they tell you that it's bliss
They've been saying that for ages, so will you answer this
So do you want to get mean?
Do you want to get cruel?
Do you think it's wise
To play the fool?

More details here:

And the two assailants were caught (fuzzily) in photos:

More details here:

And the two assailants were caught (fuzzily) in photos:

Oh, no! WTH!

Released nearly a year ago, from Cuba's top jazz pianist:

1602206444083.png

It surprised me to see that Robert Fonseca is now signed to Mack Avenue Records, where many contemporary jazz artists have ended up in recent years. This is good, as it will gain him more exposure. A prior album I listened to really dug deeply into different jazz and Cubano styles, in unexpected ways. Yesun is more easygoing yet still has his diverse touch throughout. His videos are sometimes...quite unusual.

A jazz organ trio date from guitarist Chuck Loeb:

1602766953383.png

Streaming from Qobuz.

I was quite surprised to see this album on Qobuz. And this is an unsolicited testimonial. 😉 The Balance by Mazzjazz. It's a nice mix of jazz styles, which makes for an interesting program. I'd sampled one of the tracks a few years ago and forgot all about it, until I received an email that triggered me to look back at this.

1602769602408.png

The band is anchored by twin brothers Mark (guitar) and Michael Mazzatenta (piano). Mark is on the faculty of High Point University in North Carolina, and Mike is on the faculty at Texas A&M Corpus Christi.

1602769968194.png

This email caught my attention. More so for the drummer:

1602770240481.png

Dave Taylor (faculty at Wayne State University...I see a trend here 😁) grew up next door to Mike and Mark, and they had a heck of a tight jazz trio in high school. They were playing at a professional level even back then, and aside from my being privileged to play in the same jazz band with them in high school (jazz band class, plus my buddy and I accompanied them at a band festival in a quintet format; I believe they were all part of our high school alumni big band when we played in the Montreux/Detroit Jazz Festival in 1982), they also held a performance at school with Detroit saxophonist George Benson.

Small world...

Switching gears to a Tex-Mex supergroup: Doug Sahm and Augie Meyers (of the Sir Douglas Quintet) with Freddy Fender and Flaco Jimenez. Better known as the Texas Tornados.

1602772015977.png

Got this and the next couple of albums queued up over lunch today. 👍👍 The track "Soy de San Luis" from this album won a Grammy in 1990 for Best Mexican/American Performance. This album was also notable for being released in both English and Spanish.

I didn't find this album until this morning. Further Adventures of Jimmy and Wes. They had cut an album called The Dynamic Duo where they performed with a big band featuring Oliver Nelson arrangements. This album followed, and is a much more low-key affair.

1602894540205.png

I learned of this album via a new release by the Christian McBride Big Band: For Jmmy, Wes and Oliver. Which you can tell by the title is influenced by these two albums above. McBride uses a few of the Oliver Nelson arrangements (including the excellent "Night Train") but for the others, he and a couple others wrote the arrangements. But, all tracks (except for a couple of originals) were from those Jimmy and Wes albums.

"O.G.D." (aka "Road Song") of course is covered...

So here's a recent single from my favorite modern-day mambo band, Orquesta Akokan:

The horn parts remind me a lot of Perez Prado's "Gateando."

Listening to The Move "Looking On" (late 1970) (with Roy Wood & joining that group Jeff Lynne)!! The 2nd song "Turkish Blues" was cut from iTunes because I download the album BUT I lost $ 1.29 for that song. That was their best album over the A&M "Shazam"!!

Spinning a couple of Astrud Gilberto albums this evening. (OK, the hard drive is spinning...but you know what I mean. 😁) The Astrud Gilberto Album, and A Certain Smile, A Certain Sadness.

I just received the new John Lennon 2CD/blu -ray set “Gimme Some Truth” the music on the remixed discs is excellent. I’m playing the blu-ray now, and it has very interesting playback options. 96-24 PCM Stereo. Surround 96-24 DTS HD-MA 5.1 and 48-24 Dolby Atmos All the music on the 2 CDs is on the blu-ray as well, same order.
The 5.1 is amazing, to say the least. The Dolby Atmos is just fun. 75% of vocals from front speakers and 75% of music from rear speakers. It’s one of the few times the rear center light in my Yamaha RX-V3300 has lit up for complete surround. It was manufactured before Dolby Atmos was invented. Money well spent though. They had a promotion last week similar to Target at Amazon. Buy 2 get 1 free. Anyway I want to ask the technical wizards here, Rudy, what are or do the bit rates mean? Why is Dolby Atmosphere less than the 5.1 or Stereo versions. You can switch the sound during playback without disturbing the track. The Dolby Atmos does play back at a lower volume though. Thanks for any tutorials in advance. Always interesting stuff here. I forgot to mention I’m using my Sony X800M2 4K player for the best sound.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom