The Now Spinning/Recent Purchases Thread

I've owned that original MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE soundtrack since it was a new release back in 66-67. I always loved the track called "Rollin Hand" - in retrospect it sounds a little like what Schifrin ultimately wrote as the theme for MANNIX. It really gets going after the 32 second piano intro.

I've owned that original MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE soundtrack since it was a new release back in 66-67. I always loved the track called "Rollin Hand" - in retrospect it sounds a little like what Schifrin ultimately wrote as the theme for MANNIX. It really gets going after the 32 second piano intro.

There are some great tunes on this record! 👍👍 I look forward to giving it a few more spins in the coming days.

I always saw Schifrin as a composer of themes and such, but he has several dozen albums under his name, and there are others he has done arranging/conducting for that are under others' names, like Cal Tjader's Several Shades of Jade (which is an uncharacteristic album for Tjader but in a good way) and Al Hirt's Latin In The Horn. Many of course are soundtracks to TV series or films, but there are others where he featured Bossa Nova or jazz or, in later years, works that lean towards orchestral. But on these non-soundtrack albums, many of his tunes still sound as though they belong to a soundtrack, given how colorful they are, and the moods they evoke. there were extended suites written in his pre-soundtrack days when he wrote for Dizzy Gillespie and created the work "Gillespiana." There's even a full-out orchestral recording from 1999 where he conducts works by Stravinsky, Ravel and his own "Concerto for Double-Bass."

1605132182416.png

Seems I've just scratched the surface of his body of work...

I feel as though I should be playing "The Plot" from M:I while I make dinner this evening. 😁

Still in my A&M/CTi mode, I listened today to WE AND THE SEA by Tamba 4. It occurred to me that I hadn't listened to this great album all the way through in many moons, and it sounded great. It was the Verve By Request CD files spinning mostly in the car today. Finishing it up at home as my car trip didn't last quite long enough. "Consolação (Consolation)" is in it final minutes.

Still in my A&M/CTi mode, I listened today to WE AND THE SEA by Tamba 4. It occurred to me that I hadn't listened to this great album all the way through in many moons, and it sounded great. It was the Verve By Request CD files spinning mostly in the car today. Finishing it up at home as my car trip didn't last quite long enough. "Consolação (Consolation)" is in it final minutes.

Great choice im sure glad I still have my copy as well as ripped into my laptop

My sealed Soul Flutes: Trust In Me arrived today. It was released on the white/silver A&M label of the 70s and has that era's innersleeve (Herb's Just You and Me is one of the selections). I wouldn't have imagined this one was ever reissued but I also don't know how popular this one might have been. I noticed it has "VAN GELDER" stamped in the runout, so they were still using the metal parts from the first pressing run.

I'll get a spin later this evening.

And I finally got around to getting STONE FLOWER by Jobim. It's been on my "maybe list" for ages, and since I'm in a CTi mode, it seemed like the right time. Also new today was George Benson's THE OTHER SIDE OF ABBEY ROAD. Benson got a spin earlier today. Jobim is spinning as we speak.

Both of those are CDs. The Benson is an A&M later issue CD with the 82839 catalog number and picture of Benson and guitar walking to the "other side".

The Jobim is the 1990 reissue from CBS / Sony / Legacy ZK 45480.

I'd be hard picked to choose either Wave or Stone Flower as my favorite--the latter is darker and more moody, which might be why I sometimes give it a slight edge. It's an excellent album, as is Wave. If I'm not mistaken, this may be the album that "Children's Games" debuted on. Santana would do a version of the title track on Caravanserai (and quotes the melody of "God and the Devil in the Land of the Sun" in the opening bars as well). Creed Taylor took a gamble on these albums, knowing Jobim was a vocalist as well as a guitarist and pianist, by featuring mainly instrumental versions with a jazz flavor to them.

See what happens when I don't pop in for more than a week? I miss out on the CTi discussion AND the Ultra Lounge discussion!

It looks like no one mentioned Julius was part of Martin Denny's band way before his BMB days... And I count myself as one of the free fans of Artie Butler's CTi album. I think I even used The Whiffenpoof Song in one of my student films.

--Mr Bill
(Mrs. Bill's 3rd chemo went well and she suffering much mild after effects than expected this time... Half way there!)

Playing this one while I work on forum stuff:

I posted this one a year or two ago. I picked up the LP from Morrow Audio's booth at AXPONA, replacing a dog-eared copy I got as a gift when I was kid. "Lucky Pierre" (second track on side two, so just past halfway into this video) sounds like the same clever arrangement as the title track of this album.

This is some ambitious record:

yaLwVWX.png

Lalo Schifrin took classical themes and applied them to a jazz big band. Many of the themes here are familiar, but the old tune "Peanut Vendor" gets such a total makeover that it is almost unrecognizable (in a good way). Lots of big names here, too--Creed Taylor producing, J.J. and Kai on trombones, Clark Terry, Jerome Richardson, Grady Tate. A short (33 min.) but great album.

When I mentioned above that a song on MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE by Lalo Schifrin sounded a bit like what was to become the theme for MANNIX, it reminded me that one of our members here graciously sent me a copy of the MANNIX soundtrack album, an attempt by Paramount (Dot) Records to capture lightning in a bottle twice. I don't think the MANNIX soundtrack sold nearly as well as MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE, and it is now much harder to find. I think it only ever had one CD release from Collectors' Choice, and the vinyl that's around is pretty pricey these days and not often in great shape.

But it's got 10 tracks composed and performed by Lalo Schifrin with one composed by Shorty Rogers.

This one?

Only $11.49 for the download. I do see the Collector's Choice CD as the only digital reissue besides this one (which probably came directly from the record label Geffen).

There was a re-recording in recent years with the WDR big band, arranged and conducted by Schifrin, but I haven't yet heard that one eiher. The "Mannix" theme is on the Verve compilation I linked several posts ago, but I don't know if it's the same recording as the one on the soundtrack. (If Geffen is part of Universal, then it likely is.)

Geffen is part of Universal it replaced the MCA label which explains why many old MCA albums are now branded with the Geffen label Example Larry Carlton's Discovery album from 1987 was originally on MCA today is Listed as A Geffen Release

Geffen is part of Universal it replaced the MCA label which explains why many old MCA albums are now branded with the Geffen label Example Larry Carlton's Discovery album from 1987 was originally on MCA today is Listed as A Geffen Release
I was never sure of Geffen's history. I was more used to Geffen's releases through Warner (WEA) in the 80s. Like the original albums by Asia, and Donna Summer's first record away from Casablanca. I know David Geffen had another label after that. Don't know what the rights issues are though, so who knows?

So far this evening...

Soul Flutes: Trust in Me
Chico O'Farrill: Married Well
Mike Metheny: Day In - Night Out

All vinyl tonight. Until I get tired of hopping up out of my recliner. 🤣

Add:

The Mavericks: En Espanol. "Sabor a Mi" is sublime! "Cuando me Enamoro" is on Side 4.

Not sure what's next....

Chatting with some friends at an audio forum. Cocktails, music, guy talk, Thanksgiving plans. 😁

The rest of the evening:

Rosemary Clooney & Perez Prado: A Touch of Tabasco (ORG 45 RPM 180g reissue)
Bartók*, Reiner* / Chicago Symphony* ‎– Music For Strings, Percussion And Celesta / Hungarian Sketches (Classic Records 180g reissue)
Laurindo Almeida & The Bossa Nova All-Stars: Viva Bossa Nova

So far this evening...

Soul Flutes: Trust in Me
Chico O'Farrill: Married Well
Mike Metheny: Day In - Night Out

All vinyl tonight. Until I get tired of hopping up out of my recliner. 🤣
Absolutely beautiful...from The Jungle Book, one of my favorite Disney movies. Have movie on VCR, one day I'll play it for my granddaughter...but probably NOT this version of the song...!@##!! Spotify doesn't feature it...in fact, nothing by the Soul Flutes is available on Spotify. If I didn't get access free from my son's account, I'd probably switch to Apple. Maybe I can pick it up off of Amazon...money well spent if it's available.

Absolutely beautiful...from The Jungle Book, one of my favorite Disney movies. Have movie on VCR, one day I'll play it for my granddaughter...but probably NOT this version of the song...!@##!! Spotify doesn't feature it...in fact, nothing by the Soul Flutes is available on Spotify. If I didn't get access free from my son's account, I'd probably switch to Apple. Maybe I can pick it up off of Amazon...money well spent if it's available.
Just checked...it ain't...Aarrghhh!!!!

Jungle Book was a big hit with me when I was a kid. I wouldn't remember if I'd ever seen it when it originally came out (1967), but I think it had a limited run a few years later and we saw it. But for all the years growing up, I had the Disney record. It's essentially a narrated version of the film with the songs right from the soundtrack, and most of the voice actors reprising their roles in spoken form on record.

The Soul Flutes record is so obscure that I doubt any streaming service will have it. I've found some amazing things on Qobuz that I thought I'd never see again, but like any other service, if it's not available there, it usually isn't available elsewhere. (Each one has different license negotiations, so there are some titles scattered on each service that may not appear on others. When Qobuz came to the US (they are based in France), they had to renegotiate with all of the record labels and distributors that they already had ongoing relationships with. Each artist may have different contract terms in each country. Crazy, but unfortunately it all has to be done for copyright reasons.

I have a few interesting LPs coming my way--I've been lucking out finding new old stock sealed rekkids.

This is playing at the moment. It is a calm yet introspective set by Tunisian oud master Anouar Brahem. Impeccably recorded on ECM records. Sounds really good this evening. 👍👍

EMHvWRo.png

Back
Top Bottom